Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to copy one string in ksh into another Post 302328932 by aoussenko on Thursday 25th of June 2009 01:22:25 PM
Old 06-25-2009
how to copy one string in ksh into another

Hi
Does anybody know if there is a utility/command in ksh which would allow to copy/insert the contents of one string into certain positions of the other?

for example:
A=" ABCDEF "
B="HHH"

I need to insert contents of string "B" into string "A" from position 3 to 5, so the resulting string would look like this :

A=" HHH ABCDEF "

Thanks a lot for any advice... -A

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a string and copy the string after that

Hi! just want to seek help on this: i have a file wherein i want to find a string and copy the string after that and paste that other string to a new file. ex: TOTAL 123456 find "TOTAL" and copy "123456" and paste "123456" to a new file NOTE: there are many "TOTAL" strings on that... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Array copy in ksh

Hi all, Following code in ksh is giving error: fileLimit=5 func(){ dir="$1" format="$2" array="$3" i=0 ls -lrt $format | tail -${fileLimit} | while read f_det; do files="${f_det}," ((i+=1)) done eval $(echo set -A $array '"${files}"') } func "." "*.pl" "a" echo... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRKS
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris KSH shell script to copy all lines from one file to another

Hello, more of a windows wscript guy. However I took a new position that requires me to support some solaris servers. So... issue is that I need to copy all lines from a file to a temporary file and then copy them back into the original file starting at line 1. Reason I need to do this is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZigZaggin
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh to copy multiple files

Guys, I've got a list of about 200 files I need to copy from /tmp to /data. I can't use wildcards because the filenames are all very different. What I want to do is cut and paste them into a file and read that as the input to a copy command (line by line). I tried using find and -exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Script -- loop and data copy question

I am trying to write a script that will allow me to train others with commands that I run manually by only allowing the exact command before continuing onto the next set of commands. Here is where I come into an issue. I have changed the directories for this post. Software we run creates files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hurtzdonut
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

input a string and copy lines from a file with that string on it

i have a file1 with many lines. i have a script that will let me input a string. for example, APPLE. what i need to do is to copy all lines from file1 where i can find APPLE or any string that i specify and paste in on file 2 thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: engr.jay
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh shell scripting to copy a file

Hi. I am a new Unix admin and I've been tasked to write a ksh script that copies my .profile into my /home directory on all servers. I'm new to this and having a difficult time scripting it. Any ideas? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: david_tech
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX ksh Copy Files Script

I need a UNIX ksh script that counts the number of files in directory, if the files exceed 20 files, then email results. I want the script to run every hour.. I don't have access to cron.. I'm some what new to UNIX. Windows guy all my career.. this is what I have so far.. #!/bin/ksh # count.sh ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PerlHaven2k
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a ksh script to copy a folder

Hi Folks, I need help in creating a ksh script to copy a folder from one server to multiple other servers using ssh and sftp. The thing is the folder name changes daily. So is there a way we could specify the folder name during the execution of script.? I would appreciate a quicker help.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lena07
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to filter string between specific string in ksh

My argument has data as below. 10.9.9.85 -rwxr-xr-x user1 2019-10-15 17:40 /app/scripts/testingscr5.scr 127869538 -rwxr-xr-x user1 2019-10-15 17:40 /app/scripts/testingscr56scr 127869538 ....... (note all these between lines will start with hyphen '-' ) -rwxr-xr-x user1 2019-10-15 17:40... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)