Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting usr/bin/ls: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long Post 302328905 by arunsoman80 on Thursday 25th of June 2009 12:13:05 PM
Old 06-25-2009
You could probably write the list of all the files to be processed into a temporary file and then use that temp file for further processing...

Sample code (Not tested):
Code:
scpdir=/$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/
cd $scpdir
pntcnt=`find . -name 'PNT.*' -type f | wc -l`
if [[ $pntcnt -gt 0 ]] then
ls -1 /$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/PNT.2* > filesToProcess.tmp
while read gfile
do
   gline=`sed '1q' $gfile`
   x=`echo "$gline" | awk '{ print substr( $0, 59, 1 ) }'`
   filename=`echo "$gfile" | awk '{ print substr( $0, 20, 28 ) }'`                            
   if [ "$x" -eq "0" -o "$x" -eq "1" ]; then
	mv /$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/$filename /$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/string1/$filename
   elif [ "$x" -eq "2" -o "$x" -eq "3" ]; then
	mv /$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/$filename /$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/string2/$filename	
   elif [ "$x" -eq "4" -o "$x" -eq "5" ]; then
	mv /$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/$filename /$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/string3/$filename
   elif [ "$x" -eq "6" -o "$x" -eq "7" ]; then 
	mv /$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/$filename /$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/string4/$filename
   elif [ "$x" -eq "8" -o "$x" -eq "9" ]; then
	mv /$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/$filename /$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/string5/$filename
   fi
done<filesToProcess.tmp

rm -f filesToProcess.tmp

fi

Hope this helps...

regards,
Arun.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep 0403-027 The parameter list is too long.

Hi there I get this error message when I try to do a basic grep. Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong. Thanks 0403-027 The parameter list is too long. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: japada
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: /bin/grep: arg list too long

when i run the command below in a directory which contains too many files i got the error: ksh: /bin/grep: arg list too long ls|grep AA*B* how can i handle this problem? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long

I am using IBM AIX unix version 4.3.3.0. In a directory there are many files with different patterns. When I am trying to execute the command, ls -l with the file pattern, which have fewer files it gives the desired result. However when I am trying to execute the same command for file pattern,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitindrabappa
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

0403-027 The parameter list is too long.

hi when i ran the following command rm *_F i got this error 0403-027 The parameter list is too long. It shd remove 5000(around) files pls help me on this. why its throwing this error how to rectify this error (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: romiljain
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

/usr/bin/ls: 0403-027 the parameter list is too long.

Hi, I'm trying to list specific files and redirecting to a file ls aqp* > temp.lst but getting "/usr/bin/ls: 0403-027 the parameter list is too long." error. I just have 236 files in the directory. I tried "ls | grep 'aqp*' > temp.lst" too, but nothing was redirected. + grep aqp* +... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dateez
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long

Hello All, We have a batch job that clean old records. This run a script to back up file then delete. Unfortunately, this job been failing lately. This is the error we received. "/usr/bin/compress: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long." I am not sure if the job failed since its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juieshenkei
2 Replies

8. AIX

aix:ksh: /usr/bin/rm: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long.

Hi, I am getting the below error message When i am trying to delete the files from the directory.Could you please guide me? rm *.aud ksh: /usr/bin/rm: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long. and find /oracle/admin/testP/adump/*.aud -mtime +5 -exec rm {} \; ksh: /usr/bin/find:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokiae63
3 Replies

9. AIX

0403-027 The parameter list is too long on AIX 5.3

Hi we are using AIX 5.3 64bit I have near about 79000 log file having naming convention like "IFTMBCSun Aug 14 07:45:00 PAKST 2011". This naming convention was created by a script error, now we need to rename these log file by removing extar spaces and (:) colon for that we wrote below script ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
4 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe name ... DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /usr/bin/gdb'' it will create the following two files: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1026675 Jun 7 13:53 /usr/bin/gdb -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2304524 May 30 13:02 /usr/bin/gdb~ /usr/bin/gdb~ is the original file and /usr/bin/gdb is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /usr/bin/gdb~ once you are sure that /usr/bin/gdb works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some standard utilities (basename, chmod, ln, mkdir, mktemp, rm, sleep, and tail). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)