Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Substitue 'Special Characters' in VI Post 302328596 by ScKaSx on Wednesday 24th of June 2009 05:35:53 PM
Old 06-24-2009
Thanks for the reply scottn,

however what I want to replace is "\begin{}" the thing that is giving me trouble is the "\" backslash which is used for many other things in vi.

Actually the :g//d worked! but it deletes the whole line that contains the string. I just want to replace "\begin{}" with "%".

These characters are killing me!

Cheers,
ScKaSx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quoting of special characters

Hello, I am getting very confused as to where should i quote special/metacharacters in shell. Sometimes i write * directly and it works, othertimes i have to do "*". Same is the case with other special characters like /,\,.,$,etc. Can somebody give me link to somewhere where i can found... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see special characters in a file using vi

Hi, I have a file which has special characters. I can't see them when I "vi" the file. But I am sure there are some special un seen characters. How can I see them? Please help. Thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with special characters

Hi, I am reading a file (GC_JAR.log) which has entries like: 511725.629, 0.1122672 secs] 525268.975, 0.1240036 secs] 527181.835, 0.2068215 secs] 527914.287, 0.2884801 secs] 528457.134, 0.2548725 secs] I want to replace all the entries of "secs]" with just "secs" Thus, the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itzz.me
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see special characters?

Hi all, I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert special characters?

Hi All, I have some text including Turkish characters and the 3rd party application that reads my file does not supporting this character set (at least, I have no control on it). So, I used below conversion for maximum character support but still have problems with "İ" and "Ş". Application... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrcrowley
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitue whole file + 1 substitue with variables on one sed line?.

I'm trying to remove '--X' from the whole file and using variables replace $oldvar with $newvar. I have tried with double quotes but it doesn't seem to work. $newvar is set to /usr/bin/bash. Would appreciate some guidance. newvar=$(which bash) oldvar=/bin/bash sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itman73
1 Replies
GIT-REPLACE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-REPLACE(1)

NAME
git-replace - Create, list, delete refs to replace objects SYNOPSIS
git replace [-f] <object> <replacement> git replace -d <object>... git replace -l [<pattern>] DESCRIPTION
Adds a replace reference in .git/refs/replace/ The name of the replace reference is the SHA1 of the object that is replaced. The content of the replace reference is the SHA1 of the replacement object. Unless -f is given, the replace reference must not yet exist in .git/refs/replace/ directory. Replacement references will be used by default by all git commands except those doing reachability traversal (prune, pack transfer and fsck). It is possible to disable use of replacement references for any command using the --no-replace-objects option just after git. For example if commit foo has been replaced by commit bar: $ git --no-replace-objects cat-file commit foo shows information about commit foo, while: $ git cat-file commit foo shows information about commit bar. The GIT_NO_REPLACE_OBJECTS environment variable can be set to achieve the same effect as the --no-replace-objects option. OPTIONS
-f If an existing replace ref for the same object exists, it will be overwritten (instead of failing). -d Delete existing replace refs for the given objects. -l <pattern> List replace refs for objects that match the given pattern (or all if no pattern is given). Typing "git replace" without arguments, also lists all replace refs. BUGS
Comparing blobs or trees that have been replaced with those that replace them will not work properly. And using git reset --hard to go back to a replaced commit will move the branch to the replacement commit instead of the replaced commit. There may be other problems when using git rev-list related to pending objects. And of course things may break if an object of one type is replaced by an object of another type (for example a blob replaced by a commit). SEE ALSO
git-tag(1) git-branch(1) git(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-REPLACE(1)