Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Passing argument to nawk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing argument to nawk Post 302328555 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 24th of June 2009 02:19:52 PM
Old 06-24-2009
You forgot to place the first parameter at the end of the awk command:

Code:
nawk '{rl[1]=R1;rl[2]=R2; rr=2-($2%2); if($1>=rl[rr]){print rl[rr]}}' R1=$var1 R2=$var2 $1

I should place the initialization of the array in the BEGIN section:

Code:
nawk -v R1=$var1 -v R2=$var2 'BEGIN{rl[1]=R1;rl[2]=R2}{rr=2-($2%2); if($1>=rl[rr]){print rl[rr]}}' $1

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing argument from one script to other

Dear All, I have one script which accepts database name and user_id from the user, i have another script that will unload the data from all the tables based on the user_id accepted by the user. How can i pass the user_id from the 1st script to the other. My OS is sun solaris. Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloydnwo
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing a for loop variable into nawk

After searching through books and the internet for days I can't seem to find an example of this. I'm trying to pass a variable from a for loop into nawk but can't seem to get all the syntax right. my script (thanks to anbu23 for nawk help) is this: for customers in `cat customers.txt` do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ant1815
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk - Passing variables

Hi, I am passing the varibale using nawk -v to search the pattern from the file. But this variable is not accepting. I couldn't get the crrect output. Help me regarding..... nawk -v PGMNAME="$prog" ' { $0 ~ /PGMNAME/ { .................. ................. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing shell variable to NAWK

I am trying to make a simple script in which i take input from shell and then forward the value to nawk (BEGIN). but when i run below mention script so it give no output. echo "Enter TRUNK GROUP:" read TGR cat /omp-data/logs/5etr/080422.APX | nawk -F"|" -v P=$TGR ' BEGIN { TG=P;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wakhan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing Argument

Hi All, i have script like below.. echo "1) first option" echo "" echo "2) second option" echo "" echo "*) please enter the correct option" read select case $select in 1) echo "first option selected" ;; 2) echo "second option selected" ;; *) echo "please enter the correct... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the nawk variables to the shell

nawk '($1 ~ "1000") && ($1 ~ "5665" ) { sub ($6,"89");flag =1;print }' old.txt >> new.txt I want to set a flag in awk , if the both conditions are met. I want to pass this flag to shell Can anyone please help me on this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prav076
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with passing argument

Hi, I have a script that is scheduled with cron and runs every night. The cron part looks like this: 00 20 * * 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 /usr/local/bin/BACKUP TBTARM HOT DELETE My issue is with the 3rd parameter. Somewhere in the script, i want to tell the script to delete some files if the 3rd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dollypee
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument passing

How to pass the alphabet character as a argument in case and in if block? ex: c=$1 if a-z ]] then echo "alphabet" case $1 in a-z) echo "the value is a alphabet" edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags. We REALLY mean it. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing regular expression to nawk

I am trying to test if I can replace a regular expression in 'nawk' with a variable. Please let me know why it is not working. I am using ksh88i on solaris8 I am trying use this test as a building block to filter active external DNS connections. Ideally I want to pass variable defined... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing a second argument

I am trying to pass a second argument like so: if ] then export ARG2=$2 else message "Second argument not specified: USAGE - $PROGRAM_NAME ARG1 ARG2" checkerror -e 2 -m "Please specify if it is a history or weekly (H or W) extract in the 2nd argument" fi however, it always goes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
4 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)