Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help, | ! & [ ^ in sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help, | ! & [ ^ in sed Post 302328367 by ahmad.diab on Wednesday 24th of June 2009 07:09:50 AM
Old 06-24-2009
in sed the substitute command can be written in many syntax:-

example:

Code:
sed 's/old pattern/new pattern/g'    #  g means substitute globally.

sed 's!old pattern!new pattern!g'   # same result as above

sed 's^old pattern^new pattern^g'    # also same result as above

sed '_old pattern _new pattern_g'  # also same result

BR

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & awk help...

I have a question. Take the following statement awk -F\| '{print $21}' testfile | sed 's/\//\\/g' > newfile This will grab the 21st column of a | delimited text file, replace the forward slashes "/" , with back slashes "\", and redirect the output newfile. Now, how do I get the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shimb0
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp & sed error

Hi, Below is a small piece of my Korn shell script - what i am trying to do is substitute all occurrences of the word given by the ${src} parameter with the word given by the ${dest} parameter in that particular textfile. But i get the errors below... for i in `ls... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: n8575
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, date and /&

Hi, $ echo 1 titi | sed -e "s/1/$(echo \&)/" 1 titi but $ echo 1 titi | sed -e "s/1/$(date \&)/" date: invalid date `&' titi how can i do for handle '\&' with date ? Thx (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sncr24
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to Sed & Awk

How do I grab the first 10 characters of a line and append it to another empty file? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & awk

Hi. I'm going to learn scripting and i have the following topics on the list: sed, awk, shell scripting, perl. My question is, whehter i should learn sed and awk? Aren't this tools outdated? Although i see that GNU upgrade it's versions of these tools from time to time. And, the next... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kukuruku
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & areas respectively sed & pyramiding

Hello everyone, i wonder if someone could give me an advice regarding the following problem using sed. Given ist a structure as shown below: <aaa>text1<b>text2</b>text3<c>text4</c>text5</aaa> Now I want to change the outer tag from "aaa" to "new" and replace all tags inside the outer tags... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donaldinho
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk & sed

Hi, Can anyone let me know the difference between awk and sed utilities in Unix? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed ( & )

I am searching for a specific pattern and replacing with ( ) for matched pattern .I am not getting the expected result ..... Here is the file cat test cool change Frinto Francis Frinto cool change Attitude /usr/bin sed 's/*/( & )/' test ( cool ) ( change ) ( )Frinto Francis... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed pattern &

Hi, I can't seem to understand what the sed and & do.. Why is the set of numbers appear twice ? how the command really work ? echo "123 abc" | sed 's/*/& www &/' Output: 123 www 123 abc (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uniran
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Echo "abc" | sed - r 's/a/&_&/

I want to know the working of & here step by step using sed command. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Preeti07
1 Replies
FC-PATTERN(1)															     FC-PATTERN(1)

NAME
fc-pattern - parse and show pattern SYNOPSIS
fc-pattern [ -cdVh ] [ --config ] [ --default ] [ [ -f format ] [ --format format ] ] [ --version ] [ --help ] [ pattern [ element... ] ] DESCRIPTION
fc-pattern parses pattern (empty pattern by default) and shows the parsed result. If --config is given, config substitution is performed on the pattern before being displayed. If --default is given, default substitution is performed on the pattern before being displayed. If any elements are specified, only those are printed. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -c Perform config substitution on pattern. -d Perform default substitution on pattern. -f Format output according to the format specifier format. -V Show version of the program and exit. -h Show summary of options. pattern Parses and displays pattern (uses empty pattern by default). element If set, the element property is displayed for parsed pattern. SEE ALSO
FcNameParse(3) FcConfigSubstitute(3) FcDefaultSubstitute(3) FcPatternPrint(3) FcPatternFormat(3) fc-cat(1) fc-cache(1) fc-list(1) fc- match(1) fc-query(1) fc-scan(1) The fontconfig user's guide, in HTML format: /usr/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html. AUTHOR
This manual page was updated by Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>. Apr 20, 2010 FC-PATTERN(1)