Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed script to remove nth characters from end of filename Post 302328268 by Monkey Dean on Wednesday 24th of June 2009 01:39:51 AM
Old 06-24-2009
Thanks Rakeshawasthi! Worked perfectly Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a newline character at the end of filename

Hi All, I have named a file with current date,time and year as follows: month=`date | awk '{print $2}'` date=`date | awk '{print $3}'` year=`date | awk '{print $6}'` time=`date +%Hh_%Mm_%Ss'` filename="test_"$month"_"$date"_"$year"_"$time".txt" > $filename The file is created with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters from filename recursively

hi: i have several thousand files from users and of course they use all kind of characters on filenames. I have things like: My special report (1999 ) Lisa & Jack's work.doc crazy. How do I remove all this characters in the current dir and subdirs too? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason7
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete text from the end of a filename

Hi all, I am trying to write a script that will delete a certain amount of text from the end of a filename. For example. Input: name of file (more text).pdf Output: name of file.pdf So is it possible to write a script the deletes, in this example twelve (12) digits from the end... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Monkey Dean
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command to remove characters help!

I am trying to analyse a large file of sequencing data, example of first 10 lines below, @HWUSI-EAS656_0044_FC:7:1:2447:1039#GCAATT/1 GNCTATGGCTTGCCGGGCTCAGGGAAGACAATCATAGCCATGAAAATCATGGAAAAGATCAGAAAAACATTTCAA +HWUSI-EAS656_0044_FC:7:1:2447:1039#GCAATT/1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Adeleh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the Characters '[' and ']' with Sed

Hi, I am new to Sed and would like to know if it is possible to remove the characters . I have a couple of files with a keyword and would like to remove the substring. I am Using sed s/// but Its not working Thanks for your Support Andrew Borg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewborg
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed! - Cut characters after a text string and append to end of filename

Hi all.. I have several unique files that contain one thing in common, and that is acct#. For all files in the directory, I want to append the 10 characters following the word "ACCOUNT:" to the end of the filename. for example: I have file 111_123 that contains ACCOUNT:ABC1234567 The file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cinderella1
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Removing all characters from token to end of line

Hello. The token is any printable characters between 2 " . The token is unknown, but we know that it is between 2 " Tok 1 : "1234x567" Tok 2 : "A3b6+None" Tok 3 : "A3b6!1234=@" The ligne is : Line 1 : "9876xABCDE"Do you have any code fragments or data samples in your post Line 2 : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the last 9 characters of a filename

Hi All! Please can someone help, I have a dir with the following files: ~-rw-r--r-- 1 emmuser users 2087361 Oct 16 15:50 MPGGSN02_20131007234519_24291.20131007 -rw-r--r-- 1 emmuser users 2086837 Oct 16 15:50 MPGGSN02_20131007233529_24272.20131007 -rw-r--r-- 1 emmuser ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the last 15 characters of a filename with respect to leave file extension

how can i remove numbers of characters from the last name of file with respect to not remove the files extension example VFX_Official_Trailer_(HD)__Shhh__-_by_Freddy_Chavez_Olmos_&_Shervin_Shoghian-.mp4 i want to rename this to VFX-Official-Trailer-(HD)-Shhh... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ateya
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace nth characters with string

Hi, I hope you can help me out please? I need to replace from character 8-16 with AAAAAAAA and the rest should stay the same after character 16 gtwrhtrd11111111rjytwyejtyjejetjyetgeaEHT wrehrhw22222222hytekutkyukrylryilruilrGEQTH hrwjyety33333333gtrhwrjrgkreglqeriugn;RUGNEURGU ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
4 Replies
BCOMPILER_WRITE_FUNCTION(3)						 1					       BCOMPILER_WRITE_FUNCTION(3)

bcompiler_write_function - Writes a defined function as bytecodes

SYNOPSIS
bool bcompiler_write_function (resource $filehandle, string $functionName) DESCRIPTION
Reads the bytecodes from PHP for an existing function, and writes them to the open file handle. Order is not important, (eg. if function b uses function a, and you compile it like the example below, it will work perfectly OK). PARAMETERS
o $filehandle - A file handle as returned by fopen(3). o $functionName - The function name, as a string. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 bcompiler_write_function(3) example <?php $fh = fopen("/tmp/example","w"); bcompiler_write_header($fh); bcompiler_write_function($fh,"my_function_a"); bcompiler_write_function($fh,"my_function_b"); bcompiler_write_footer($fh); fclose($fh); ?> NOTES
Warning This function is EXPERIMENTAL. The behaviour of this function, its name, and surrounding documentation may change without notice in a future release of PHP. This function should be used at your own risk. SEE ALSO
bcompiler_write_header(3), bcompiler_write_footer(3). PHP Documentation Group BCOMPILER_WRITE_FUNCTION(3)