Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed insert option(-i) in shell script Post 302328248 by Gee-Money on Wednesday 24th of June 2009 12:05:12 AM
Old 06-24-2009
Insert is not "-i". It's just "i". Do not confuse sed "commands" with command line options. The command line option "-i" means to edit the file in place (dangerous!) in most sed versions that have the -i option, so watch out.

If you google "sed", go to the very first page, and as you will see, it is the #1 sed page on the webs. There is an example for every single sed command, including insert.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script: want to insert values in database when update script runs

Hi , I am new to linux and also also to shell scripting. I have one shell script which unpacks .tgz file and install software on machine. When this script runs I want to insert id,filename,description(which will be in readme file),log(which will be in log file) and name of unpacked folder... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ring
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Script: With Menu Option

I am attempting to create a shell script with the following capaciblities: 1. Listed options to choice from 2. Use to perform awk statements 3. Print a report with the awk results My questions are 1. How do I select more than one file for option #5 and #6 2. How to I create an... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jroberson
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk script selective insert between lines

Hi I have a file in the foll. format *RECORD* *FIELD NO* ....... ....... *FIELD TX* Data *FIELD AV* Data *FIELD RF* *RECORD* *FIELD NO* ....... ....... *FIELD TX* Data *FIELD RF* (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunstonrocks
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script - insert oracle

Hi Frnds, in shell script I have one problem while inserting into oracle table . my script #! /usr/bin/sh while read record do echo $record X=`sqlplus -s STN/errrmddb20@MAHFDR <<eof insert into STN.STN_ERROR_TABLE values($record); eof`... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help using % or like option in shell script

Hi All, I need help from you guys. In the shell script I have, I have a variable that has a value as follows a=abc_20100614_12346 I want to do the following logic, if a like '%20100614%' then true else false fi Guys please help me out on this. I tried the follwoing option ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: srini02
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Invalid option errors running shell script

The script below fails with the following error messages: gzip: invalid option -- 'w' Try `gzip --help' for more information. mysqldump: Got errno 32 on write cp: invalid option -- 'w' Try `cp --help' for more information. rm: invalid option -- 'w' Try `rm --help' for more information. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ANNACTION
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call one script option to other in shell script

HI Guys, My Script abc.sh 1) Checks 2) CA Scipt 3) CIA Script 0) Exit Enter Choice : Now if i select choice 2 then after finshed choice 2 wait for 40 min and run choice 3 what i can write in CA Scipt option: if then My Code : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
3 Replies

8. Solaris

sed insert into line 1 via script

Hi I am trying to run a sed command within a script..unfortunately it wasn't written on Solaris so doesn't work. Can anyone help with the correct coding please? It is: sed -i '1i ROWID;ORDER_ID;JOB_NAME;ORDER_TABLE' ${OUTFILE} (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu Driven Bash Shell Script with Default Option

Hi All, I have written a menu driven bash shell script. Current Output is as below: ------------------------------------- Main Menu ------------------------------------- Option 1 Option 2 Option 3 Option 4 Exit ===================================== Enter your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_j
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help on Oracle insert from shell script

Hi All I am trying to create a shell script to insert in to oracle table so far insert happens with out an issue, but i cant pass message variable to sqlplus script insert. i have highlighted the variable in red. Please help. thanks in advance. #!/bin/sh df -H | grep -vE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LPK
3 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)