Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Echo working funny
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Echo working funny Post 302327978 by hemtar on Tuesday 23rd of June 2009 06:04:26 AM
Old 06-23-2009
I will answer myself

It DOES NOT happend if you do it like in my example.

I think is something related with AWK. Is it inserting carriage returns between words? This is my AWK code.

It's runned in HP-UX. swList contains a list of packages and the comand swlist gives you the same list, but with 3 or more colums:
  • The first one the name of the pacjage binari.
  • The second one the version.
  • The third one and the rest the package full name.

Code:
for package in $swList; do

# Package name
    package_name=$(swlist | grep "$package" | awk '{

word_count=3

while (word_count <= NF) {

print $ word_count

word_count++

}
    }')

# Package version
    package_version=$(swlist | grep "$package" | awk '{ print $2 }')

echo "software^^^$oa_package_name^^^$oa_package_version^^^"

done

Help!

---------- Post updated at 04:49 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin52
Quote the variable:

Code:
echo "123 "$string1" 123"

Regards

Thanks!

But it does not work with the string I made using that AWK code...

And there is a mistake in the code I put in my previous post. The last code line is:

Code:
echo "software^^^" "$package_name" "^^^" "$package_version" "^^^"

done

Just in case someone thought that was the problem Smilie

Regards

---------- Post updated at 05:04 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:49 AM ----------

Well, I don't know why it happens but I have solved the problem doing the echo like this:

Code:
echo "software^^^"$(echo $oa_package_name | tr "\n" " ")"^^^$oa_package_version^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^"

tr converts the carriage return into a space character.

Regards.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Funny but true....

Hallo everybody I am having a shell script called auto_run.sh in that only the first line works. the second line which has sed command is working only at the # prompt. not within the shell script. What could be the reason. *... sed 's/ //g' KTI >abc works in another shell script without the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naushad
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is echo $variable >> text.txt working in MacOSX?

Hi New at this, but want to learn more. I'm trying this as an Shell Command in MacOSX; newdate='<TIME>' echo $newdate >> /Users/ttadmin/Desktop/test.txt And it don't work. But if I just use; echo <TIME> >> /Users/ttadmin/Desktop/test.txt (<TIME> is an variable that one program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackt
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

why the set rr='echo string|cut not working

I am new to the c shell script, can you let me know why the set rr= is not working. C shell script #! /bin/csh Set tt= 12345_UMR_BH452_3_2.txt set rr='echo $tt | cut –d”_” -f1' syntax error (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
4 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Old, but still funny

Annoyances.org - Upgrading to Wife 1.0 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo is not working as expected

for i in `cat /export/home/afahmed/Arrvial_time.txt` do echo $i echo $i | awk '$3 < $D { print $4 }' >> dynamic_DF.txt; done When i echo, its echo as Nov 15 02:24 /export/home/pp_adm/inbound//wwallet_20111115.txt where i expect it to be Nov 15 02:24... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: afahmed
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo two variables like the paste command is not working

Dear all, I have two files like this file1 A B C D E F file2 1,2 3,4 5,6 I want this output output_expected A B 1,2 C D 3,4 E F 5,6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo not working with $

$cat FILE.txt $PATH1/file1.txt $PATH2/file2.txt where$PATH 1 = /root/FILE_DR/file1.txt $PATH 2 = /root/FILE_DR/file2.txt for I in `cat FILE.txt` do v=`echo $I` echo $v if then rm $v (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekharvi
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo command not working in the script

HI I have and echo command which works perfectly in the shell but when i execute in the script it gives me an error code query is as below QUERY=`echo "Select Severity,Dupl_count,Creation_Time,Last_Received,Node_Name,Node_Name,Object,Message_Group,Message_Text,Last_Annotation from " \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
2 Replies