Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Infinite for loop is taking too much CPU usage % Post 302327890 by pa.chidhambaram on Monday 22nd of June 2009 09:25:08 PM
Old 06-22-2009
Thanks very much for your replies. that for loop is processing the CDR for one by one. the CDR file is having a size in MB. once it exceeds 100000 its taking 15 % of CPU time. So we doubt that its not releasing some resources. and I assume that sleep will release the resource and make CPU idle for sometime. Thats why I asked for any command which will make a sleep of less than a second.

Please tell me how to avoid such a high CPU utiltization.

Thanks,
chidhu

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor CPU usage and Memory Usage

how can i monitor usages of CPU, Memory, Hard disk etc. under SUN Solaries through a c program or java program i want to store that data into database so i can show it graphically thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajanad Bihani
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

3. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

5. Programming

Is my code in an Infinite Loop?

Production C code compiled without the dash-g option is running, and seems to be in an infinite loop. Is there a way to tell? Is there a diagnostic tool that will report what objects or what lines of code or even what functions are being executed? Or is my best option to kill it with a dump? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcus121
5 Replies

6. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Infinite while loop

what is the difference between while:,while true and while false? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Procmail and infinite loop

I wanted to copy (not forward but copy) all incoming email to another address of mine. It worked, but now I encountered an infinite loop problem: When the second address doesn't like the content and bounces the message back, the bounce message will be sent back and forth. So, what I have in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: distill
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

My for loop decides to become an infinite loop?

Hi, I was debating if I should put this in the dummies or scripts section, I apologize in advance if I chose poorly. Fairly new to Unix and BASH scripting but I thought I made it fairly well given my limited understanding. However, the output indicates that it's looping and I'm ending up with a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotreef
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop infinite loop

Im unable to stop the below infinite loop (bash script). Can someone tell me why this isnt responding to signals eg: ctrl+c (SIGINT) or ctrl+z c=0 test_loop() { c=$(($c+1)) echo "count value is : $c " sleep 1 test_loop } Im using: SunOS 5.10 PS: If run this as... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
13 Replies
bind_to_cpu(3)						     Library Functions Manual						    bind_to_cpu(3)

NAME
bind_to_cpu - Bind execution to a specific CPU. LIBRARY
Mach Library (libmach.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/resource.h> int bind_to_cpu( pid_t pid, unsigned long cpu_mask , unsigned long flag ); PARAMETERS
Specifies the target pid. You must have access rights to the pid. Specifies the CPU on which the thread should run. The target CPU is the bit index in the mask. If you set more than one bit, an error is generated. A cpu_mask of zero clears any previously set CPU binding. Specifies options to CPU binding. Currently only the option BIND_NO_INHERIT is supported. When set, this option causes child processes and threads to not inherit the CPU binding. DESCRIPTION
Upon return from bind_to_cpu, all threads of the target pid are running on the target CPU. Bound threads are not eligible for execution on any other CPU. You release CPU binding by invoking bind_to_cpu with a cpu_mask of zero. EXAMPLES
/* * Fork child process and force it to run on cpu number 3. * Processes created by the forked child will not inherit bindings. */ #include <sys/resource.h> #include <sys/sysinfo.h> #include <sys/signal.h> #include <sys/types.h> #define CPU_3 0x8 /* Bit 3 set */ main() { pid_t pid; if (pid = fork()) { /* parent */ if (bind_to_cpu(pid, CPU_3, BIND_NO_INHERIT)) { kill(pid, SIGKILL); exit(1); /* bind_to_cpu() will print error msg */ } sleep(2); /* wait for child to print CPU */ } else { /* child */ long cpu_num; sleep(1); /* wait for parent to bind CPU */ getsysinfo(GSI_CURRENT_CPU, &cpu_num, 0L, 0L, 0L); printf("child running on CPU %d ", cpu_num); } } In this example, the CPU_3 symbol is defined so that bit three in the bit mask is set. When the pid returned from the fork routine identi- fies the parent routine, the bind_to_cpu routine is called. This routine binds the child process to CPU number three, as specified in the CPU_3 symbol. When the pid returned from the fork routine identifies the child routine, the child routine sleeps to give the parent routine time to set its CPU binding. Then it uses the getsysinfo call to determine its CPU and displays its CPU with the printf routine. If the return value from the bind_to_cpu routine indicates an error, the parent process kills the child process and exits with an error status. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, bind_to_cpu returns zero. Upon error, a -1 is returned. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: runon(1) Functions: getsysinfo(2) delim off bind_to_cpu(3)