Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help: Regular Expression for Negate Matching String Post 302327717 by jim mcnamara on Monday 22nd of June 2009 11:55:28 AM
Old 06-22-2009
Do you mean
1. find out if it ever occurs in the file
Code:
grep -q 'javax\.servlet.http\.HttpServlet\.service' somefile.txt
if [[ $? -ne 0 ]] ; then
 echo "file is okay - no string found"
fi

2. print lines that do not have the pattern
Code:
grep -v 'javax\.servlet.http\.HttpServlet\.service' somefile.txt

Otherwise please explain what you want, not how you wanted to do it. A negated character class (which what you wrote is not an example of) means 'match anything else except this'. grep -v [pattern] has this meaning.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression matching a new line

I have written a script to test some isdn links in my network and I am trying to format the output to be more readable. Each line of the output has a different number of digits as follows... Sitename , spid1 12345678901234 1234567890 1234567 , spid2 1234567890 1234567890 1234567 Sitename , ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drheams
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate a string against a regular expression

Hi there i have a script which will create unix user accounts. Id like to validate the entered string so that it is specifically 8 characters or less and consists of only ! not Is there a way to validate a string against a regular expression.. i.e size=`printf "$var | wc -m` ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

3. Programming

Regular Expression matching in PERL

I am trying to read a file and capture particular lines into different strings: LENGTH: Some Content here TEXT: Some Content Here COMMENT: Some Content Here I want to be able to get (LENGTH: .... ) into one array and so on... I'm trying to use PERL in slurp mode but for some reason... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression matching in BASH (equivalent of =~ in Perl)

In Perl I can write a condition that evaluates a match expression like this: if ($foo =~ /^bar/) { do blah blah blah } How do I write this in shell? What I need to know is what operator do I use? The '=~' doesn't seem to fit. I've tried different operators, I browsed the man page for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiana_tas
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression matching

Hi, I have a variable in my script that gets its value from a procstack output. It could be a number of any length, or it could just be a '1' with 0 or more white spaces around it. I would like to detect when this variable is just a 1 and not a 1234, for example. This is as far as I got: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmf33uk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching single quote in a regular expression

I trying to match the begining of the following line in a perl script with a regular expression. $ENV{'ORACLE_HOME'} I tried this regluar expession: /\$ENV\{\'ORACLE_HOME\'\}/ Instead of match, I got a blank prompt > It seems to be a problem with the single quote. If I take it... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC9672
11 Replies

7. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete lines matching a regular expression

I have a very large file (over 700 million lines) that has some lines that I need to delete. An example of 5 lines of the file: HS4_80:8:2303:19153:193032 153 k80:138891 HS4_80:8:2105:5544:43174 89 k88:81949 165 k88:81949 323 0 * = 323 0 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression matching whole words

Hi Consider the file this is a good line when running grep '\b(good|great|excellent)\b' file5 I expect it to match the line but it doesn't... what am i doing wrong?? (ultimately this regex will be in a awk script- just using grep to test it) Thanks, Storms (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Storms
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String regular expression

Hi, temp="/usr=25,/usr/lib=12" How to get only dir names with out values. I tried like below but no use. tmp=${temp##*,} echo $tmp o/p: /usr/lib=12 expected o/p: /usr /usr/lib ---> in array (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: munna_dude
13 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for lines containing a given pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [-elnsv] pattern [file] ... OPTIONS
-e -e pattern is the same as pattern -c Print a count of lines matched -i Ignore case -l Print file names, no lines -n Print line numbers -s Status only, no printed output -v Select lines that do not match EXAMPLES
grep mouse file # Find lines in file containing mouse grep [0-9] file # Print lines containing a digit DESCRIPTION
Grep searches one or more files (by default, stdin) and selects out all the lines that match the pattern. All the regular expressions accepted by ed and mined are allowed. In addition, + can be used instead of * to mean 1 or more occurrences, ? can be used to mean 0 or 1 occurrences, and | can be used between two regular expressions to mean either one of them. Parentheses can be used for grouping. If a match is found, exit status 0 is returned. If no match is found, exit status 1 is returned. If an error is detected, exit status 2 is returned. SEE ALSO
cgrep(1), fgrep(1), sed(1), awk(9). GREP(1)