Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users separate "named daemon" message from /var/adm/messages Post 302327429 by Neo on Sunday 21st of June 2009 02:22:39 PM
Old 06-21-2009
syslog-ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannytrinh
Yes, I can. But I really like to utilize syslog, and logadm that can do compression, rotate the file automatically. And I also to apply this method for xntpd also.
Thanks,
You can use syslog-ng for this.

man syslog-ng

You did not mention your operating system, for some odd reason Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to delete entry in file "wtmpx"(/var/adm/wtmpx)

Do someone know how to delete entry(some lines) in file "wtmpx" that command "last" use it. this file is binary so I cannot edit directy. ========================= #last root pts/1 noc Fri Mar 3 22:04 still logged in root pts/1 noc Fri Mar 3 22:01 - 22:02 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
4 Replies

2. Solaris

NRPE message in /var/adm/messages

Hi Guru's On one of our servers we have every few seconds following error: Apr 28 10:15:27 svr10010 nrpe: connect from reno.customs.govt.nz Apr 28 10:15:29 svr10010 nrpe: connect from reno.customs.govt.nz Here are the details from this box: SunOS svr10010 5.10 Generic_125100-10 sun4v... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnom
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The "PS" command was displaying*terminals named as "SYSCON"

Hi, When typing the command ps -fe.the system is showing a process called SYSCON:confused:.... I am not sure what process is that.I hava a script that kills all command staring with 'sys' but i don't want to kill syscon:( since i think it is some system process:confused: .Please help me to find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiranjose85
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

"service" , "process" and " daemon" ?

Friends , Anybody plz tell me what is the basic difference between "service" , "process" and " daemon" ? Waiting for kind reply .. .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Help understanding [daemon.warning] messages in /var/adm/messages

Hi I've been using solaris for a few days now. During the install process i had some problems configuring my nic as i needed to install a third-party driver, which i got from a a linked site from the Sun Device Detector tool a ran prior to installing. I got it working eventually, but i'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpg.2009
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to separate my /var/adm/messages output

Hi, Please help to seprate my /var/adm/messages output. Than i want to take this output in the excel. e,g cat /var/adm/messages Sep 4 10:16:52 ibsadm1 inetd: vnetd from 172.17.5.20 38353 Sep 4 10:16:52 ibsadm1 inetd: bpcd from 172.17.5.20 915 Sep 4 10:16:55 ibsadm1 inetd: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirjhar17
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Getting continually error message in /var/adm/messages.

Hi Friends, Please help me to resove this issue ASAP. Nov 17 16:25:52 server1 sendmail: pAH8Pnh22099: SYSERR: putoutmsg (NO-HOST): error on output channel sending "553 5.1.3 @123.com.... User address required": File too large Nov 17 16:25:53 server1 sendmail: pAH8Pnh22099:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: holds_me
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

/var/log/messages error "kernel: RPC: bad TCP reclen"

Hi, I am seeing the following errors in my environment, not sure why is it happening, any ideas? Thanks. kernel: RPC: bad TCP reclen 0x73746174 (non-terminal ) Dec 17 02:14:48 kernel: RPC: bad TCP reclen 0x63480000 (large) Dec 17 02:14:48 kernel: RPC: bad TCP reclen 0x633f0000 (large) Dec... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarlinux
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Repeated error - "se_hdlc: clone device must be attached before use" in /var/adm/messages

Below is the error being repeated on my Solaris 9 Sun-Fire-V890 machine. SAN team confirmed as everything is fine from their end. I did google and found that some people say its a known Oracle bug when you have Oracle 10G installed on your system but I kind of disagree with them. Please see below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikkash
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Drive is showing offline in the /var/adm/messages and shows "drive type unknown" in the format outpu

Hi, I am facing issue with one of the drive is solaris 10. it is showing offline in the messages file scsi: WARNING: /pci@2,600000/QLGC,qlc@0/fp@0,0/ssd@w5006016746e00b1b,0 (ssd0): drive offline genunix: WARNING: Page83 data not standards compliant DGC LUNZ 0430 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prasanth T K
1 Replies
warn.conf(4)							   File Formats 						      warn.conf(4)

NAME
warn.conf - Kerberos warning configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/krb5/warn.conf DESCRIPTION
The warn.conf file contains configuration information specifying how users will be warned by the ktkt_warnd daemon about ticket expiration on a Kerberos client. Credential expiration warnings are sent, by means of syslog, to auth.notice. All other warning messages are sent to daemon.notice. Each Kerberos client host must have a warn.conf file in order for users on that host to get Kerberos warnings from the client. Entries in the warn.conf file must have the following format: principal syslog | terminal | mail time [email_address] principal Specifies the principal name to be warned. The asterisk (*) wildcard can be used to specify groups of principals. syslog Sends the warnings to the system's syslog. Depending on the /etc/syslog.conf file, syslog entries are written to the /var/adm/messages file and/or displayed on the terminal. terminal Sends the warnings to display on the terminal. mail Sends the warnings as email to the address specified by email_address. time Specifies how much time before the TGT expires when a warning should be sent. The default time value is seconds, but you can specify h (hours) and m (minutes) after the number to specify other time values. email_address Specifies the email address at which to send the warnings. This field must be specified only with the mail field. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Specifying warnings The following warn.conf entry * syslog 5m specifies that warnings will be sent to the syslog five minutes before the expiration of the TGT for all principals. The form of the mes- sage is: jdb@ACME.COM: your kerberos credentials expire in 5 minutes FILES
/usr/lib/krb5/ktkt_warnd Kerberos warning daemon SEE ALSO
ktkt_warnd(1M), syslog.conf(4), SEAM(5) SunOS 5.10 22 Apr 2003 warn.conf(4)