Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting strip carriage return & append next line Post 302327177 by cfajohnson on Saturday 20th of June 2009 12:42:17 AM
Old 06-20-2009

Code:
awk '/^ip:$/ { printf "%s ", $0; next } { print }'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

carriage return/line feeds

Hello, I have a file that has got carriage returns in it and I want to take them out. Anyone know how I can do this in a ksh? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitstop
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do l test for carriage return & Disk space usage

Hi, I have just written a script in /bin/bash, however, l want to test if character is a carriage return or space. Also l want my script to be able to detect my disk space and send a mail if usage is more than 90% or send an alert. Thanks Kayode (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert carriage return before line feed?

I am doing some edi where translations had to be run on unix. Generally when I run the translations on windows, the output file has both carriage returns and line feed where as when ran on unix will have only line feed. I need to insert carriage return before the line feed. Is there some tool... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: huey ing
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To remove carriage return between the line

Hi, I have a situation where I need to remove the carriage return between the lines. For.eg. The input file: 1,ad,"adc sdfd",edf 2,asd,"def fde",asd The output file should be 1,ad,adc sdfd,edf 2,asd,def fde,asd Thanks Shash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

6. Programming

Carriage return or line feed issues

I keep running into the same problem with the following script. Every time it prints the carrage (line feed) char when I test. I believe that the issue is in the group by but I do not see it. The code is as follows. SET FEED OFF SET ECHO OFF SET HEADING OFF SET LINESIZE 1000 SET PAGESIZE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sherrod6970
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a carriage return at end of each line

Hi All, I am reading two files and writing out the file name and count of lines in each file to an output file. My script looks like this: echo "input_file1.out;`wc -l < input_file1.out | sed 's/^]*\(.*\)]*$/\1/'` " > comp_file1.out echo "input_file2.out;`wc -l < input_file2.out | sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - multiple line carriage return

Hello! I have one strange question - let's say I have a long, multiple-line string displayed on the terminal using echo, and I would like to make a carriage return to the beginning of this string, no to the beginning of the last line - is something like that possible? I would like to be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

line carriage return characters

Hi, I would like to insert the line carriage retrun characters on each line. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return and append the next line

Hi All, My requirement is to remove the carriage return in from the lines which i am reading if the length is lesser than 1330 and append the next line with it. Below is the realistic example of file structure. Input file: Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
16 Replies
MESSAGES(3)						  libbash messages Library Manual					       MESSAGES(3)

NAME
messages -- libbash library that implements a set of functions to print standard status messages SYNOPSIS
printOK [indent] printFAIL [indent] printNA [indent] printATTN [indent] printWAIT [indent] DESCRIPTION
General messages is a collection of functions to print standard status messages - those [ OK ] and [FAIL] messages you see during Linux boot process. The function list: printOK Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) Detailed interface description follows. indent Column to move to before printing. Default indent is calculated as TTY_WIDTH-10. If current tty width can not be determined (for example, in case of serial console), it defaults to 80, so default indent is 80-10=10 FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
printOK [indent] Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL [indent] Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA [indent] Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN [indent] Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT [indent] Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) EXAMPLES
Run a program named MyProg, and report it's success or failure: echo -n 'Running MyProg...' printWAIT if MyProg ; then printOK else printFAIL fi AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux