Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to monitor system activity while executing tests Post 302327132 by TonyFullerMalv on Friday 19th of June 2009 06:47:15 PM
Old 06-19-2009
For memory and CPU usgae take a look at sar, vmstat, mpstat and top.
For execution time take a look at time or timex.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tool to monitor user activity

Hello, Does any one knows any tools or method to monitor users all activities on Solaris 8, including command and its result. Similar to 'script' ??? Thanks nana (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nana
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mksysb and system activity

Hello, With AIX 5.3 is it possible to run a mksysb with users logged into the system? The users are accessing a database app that runs on a separate physical disk than the system files. Does this even matter? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samsa1mi
1 Replies

3. AIX

System activity

Hi, I want to find program's file read,write for a particular time.For example i am executing an application called test1, this will get input from some parameter files(file1,file2,file3) and it will write to some files(file4,file5), so i want to execute one program which will capture these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnanadurai_it
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Commands to monitor other user's activity

What commands would you recommend in order to monitor things like when a user logs on to a server, assuming you know that user's name on the server? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sotau
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Homemade activity monitor-ish

Hello - I didn't find this with search, but I'm guessing it's out there somewhere. Apologies for reposting if that's the case. I'm shell scripting on a 10.5.8 Mac. I want to make a program that runs in the background and periodically logs computer use, storing things like - cpu usage,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qroid
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to monitor swap space paging activity?

hi guys My tivoli monitoring tools is reporting the monitor parameters says Pages Paged out is too high 1600 so it is a critical warning (threshold 400) now according to them this usually happens at dawn so is there a way to monitor this? during the time I am not working? ans something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange system activity no matter what I try

When I choose to encrypt my drive during a Linux install, it encryps it, but I receive errors in dmesg and in ~/.xsessions-errors during use. The first error is in dmesg where it sometimes shows errors writing to the encypted device. The second error is in ~/.xsessions-errors with an error about... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: justgoogleit
0 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

System Activity Report

Hi team , I am working on monitoring the solaris machine utilization continously with shell script without using any thirdparty software. I stuck at below commands which are limited to 1000000000 seconds. CPU Utilization sar -u 1 1000000000 Disk Utilization sar -d 1 1000000000 Memory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarun_nix
4 Replies
dbus-monitor(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   dbus-monitor(1)

NAME
dbus-monitor - debug probe to print message bus messages SYNOPSIS
dbus-monitor [--system | --session | --address ADDRESS] [--profile | --monitor] [watch expressions] DESCRIPTION
The dbus-monitor command is used to monitor messages going through a D-Bus message bus. See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ for more information about the big picture. There are two well-known message buses: the systemwide message bus (installed on many systems as the "messagebus" service) and the per- user-login-session message bus (started each time a user logs in). The --system and --session options direct dbus-monitor to monitor the system or session buses respectively. If neither is specified, dbus-monitor monitors the session bus. dbus-monitor has two different output modes, the 'classic'-style monitoring mode and profiling mode. The profiling format is a compact for- mat with a single line per message and microsecond-resolution timing information. The --profile and --monitor options select the profiling and monitoring output format respectively. If neither is specified, dbus-monitor uses the monitoring output format. In order to get dbus-monitor to see the messages you are interested in, you should specify a set of watch expressions as you would expect to be passed to the dbus_bus_add_match function. The message bus configuration may keep dbus-monitor from seeing all messages, especially if you run the monitor as a non-root user. OPTIONS
--system Monitor the system message bus. --session Monitor the session message bus. (This is the default.) --address ADDRESS Monitor an arbitrary message bus given at ADDRESS. --profile Use the profiling output format. --monitor Use the monitoring output format. (This is the default.) EXAMPLE
Here is an example of using dbus-monitor to watch for the gnome typing monitor to say things dbus-monitor "type='signal',sender='org.gnome.TypingMonitor',interface='org.gnome.TypingMonitor'" AUTHOR
dbus-monitor was written by Philip Blundell. The profiling output mode was added by Olli Salli. BUGS
Please send bug reports to the D-Bus mailing list or bug tracker, see http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ dbus-monitor(1)