Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using * when passing argument to alias Post 302327115 by ramparts on Friday 19th of June 2009 07:19:05 PM
Old 06-19-2009
Thanks! I've never used functions before in UNIX - what would that look like?

---------- Post updated at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:00 PM ----------

Oh, also, I'm using CSH (putting this all in my .cshrc file).... doing some reading it seems like this doesn't support functions? So.... is there any way for me to do what I'm trying to in my .cshrc?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

1 alias 2 commands 1 argument

Hi, i want make 1 alias with two commands include to do two things at the same time like this: ex: do finger and last at the same time with only one word finla or something. Thanks.- /home/seba > finger dustin Login name: dustin In real life: Dustin Feldman Directory:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seba
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing arguments to an alias

I want to have an alias for the command fold -78 filename | lp How do I set my alias so that the argument passed is filename ?? alias lp='fold -78 | lp' then lp filename wont work cuase this is fold -78 | lp filename (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pmcg
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a alias with an argument

If I want to create an alias called "cdr", and this alias need an argument (for example arg1)followed by "cdr", the result should go to the directory like "/home/ting/arg1/report/logs", the command should look like below, alias cdr arg1 "cd /home/ting/\!$1/report/logs" (not working)::( ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ting123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing Argument

Hi All, i have script like below.. echo "1) first option" echo "" echo "2) second option" echo "" echo "*) please enter the correct option" read select case $select in 1) echo "first option selected" ;; 2) echo "second option selected" ;; *) echo "please enter the correct... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing variable to Alias in Hp kshell

Hi all, I have a series of directories which i open regularly. I want create an alias so that i can pass the direcotry name to alias and then this commands makes Cd to the path i need. COuld you please help on how to create an alias ex of what i am trying but couldn't succeeded #alias... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firestar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk alias passing a value to a variable

I am trying to turn this into an alias with no luck. I would then like to put the alias into my bashrc file. I know awk is very picky about quotes. I have tried every version of quotes, single quotes, double quotes, and backslashes that I can think of. VAR=$(xrandr | awk '$2=="connected"{s=$1}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing alias to a function

The objective of this function is to validate the file full path. cat /dev/null > crontab_NOTEXISTS.txt function File_Existence # Accepts 1 parameter { file_name="$(echo $1)" echo "${file_name}" && break || echo "$file_name NOT FOUND" >> crontab_NOTEXISTS.txt } while read file_name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument passing

How to pass the alphabet character as a argument in case and in if block? ex: c=$1 if a-z ]] then echo "alphabet" case $1 in a-z) echo "the value is a alphabet" edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags. We REALLY mean it. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing an argument using alias to piped command

Hi. I'm trying to do a "simple" thing. grep -rls grepped_exp path | xgs where xgs is an alias to something like: xargs gvim -o -c ":g/grepped_exp" now the problem is that I want to pass the "grepped_exp" to the piped alias. I was able to do something like what I want without the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hagaysp
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing a second argument

I am trying to pass a second argument like so: if ] then export ARG2=$2 else message "Second argument not specified: USAGE - $PROGRAM_NAME ARG1 ARG2" checkerror -e 2 -m "Please specify if it is a history or weekly (H or W) extract in the 2nd argument" fi however, it always goes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
4 Replies
NEW(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    NEW(1)

NAME
new - report on folders with new messages fnext - set current folder to next folder with new messages fprev - set current folder to previous folder with new messages unseen - scan new messages in all folders with new messages SYNOPSIS
new [sequences] [-mode mode] [-folders foldersfile] [-version] [-help] fnext is equivalent to new -mode fnext fprev is equivalent to new -mode fprev unseen is equivalent to new -mode unseen DESCRIPTION
New in its default mode produces a one-line-per-folder listing of all folders containing messages in the listed sequences or in the sequences listed in the profile entry "Unseen-Sequence". Each line contains the folder, the number of messages in the desired sequences, and the message lists from the .mh_sequences file. For example: foo 11.* 40-50 bar 380. 760-772 824-828 total 391. The `*' on foo indicates that it is the current folder. The last line shows the total number of messages in the desired sequences. New crawls the folder hierarchy recursively to find all folders, and prints them in lexicographic order. Override this behavior by provid- ing foldersfile containing the pre-sorted list of folders new should check, one per line. In fnext and fprev modes, new instead changes to the next or previous matching folder, respectively. In unseen mode, new executes scan sequences for each matching folder. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Unseen-Sequence: The name of the unseen message sequence SEE ALSO
scan(1), mh-format(5) HISTORY
Based on Luke Mewburn's new (http://www.mewburn.net/luke/src/new). MH.6.8 11 June 2012 NEW(1)