Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in reading a file horizontally and printing vertically Post 302327107 by durden_tyler on Friday 19th of June 2009 04:25:19 PM
Old 06-19-2009
One way to do it using perl:

Code:
perl -ne 's/\n$/ / if $.%5 != 0; $x[$i++]=$_; END{print @x}' sample_file

Or this -

Code:
perl -ne 's/\n/ / if $.%5 != 0; print' sample_file

tyler_durden

Last edited by durden_tyler; 06-19-2009 at 05:33 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Merging Two File Horizontally

I am trying to merge two large file horizontally using paste command. Every thing is working fine except for time. Its taking lot of time. Is there any effiecient way of doing the same thing or is there anyway by which I can improve its perfomance programatically? Thanks, Yeheya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yeheyaansari
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading two files, comparing, printing when unmatched value is seen

Hello, I have two files: file1 1 2 3 4 5 file2 "a","b",,,,,"c","1",..... "s","d",,,,,"s","1",..... "a","c",,,,,"d","1",.... "f","v",,,,,,"f","2",..... etc I have to read "1" from file1 and grab all records in file2 (say column 6 in file2 is "1") until the column changes its value (... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.scientist
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and printing one by one contents of a file

I have a file which has following contents: localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552455.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552460.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552467.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552759.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552969.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552975.xml ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending two files vertically

Hi Need ur help for the below question. I have two files File-1 & File-2. File-1(This is a fixed file i.e. the content of this file is not going to change over a period of time) ------ a b c d e File-2 (This is a file which changes daily but the record count remains the same)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 46019
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed to write horizontally & sequentially in a file

Hey there I have two commands to get exactly the data i want but.. i want to write them into a file side by side and in the same order so that they always match. So what i'm hoping to learn from this thread is some of the different ways one could take the output of grepped data and write them in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
7 Replies

6. Programming

help with C programming (reading from files and printing them) (not C++)

I have a file called dvwl.c, and I am running it on a putty (unix server) using: gcc -Wall -g -o mycode dvwl.c ./mycode 1 /usr/share/dict/words s What it does is, it opens up words (since i gave that path) and reads the lines skipping the first line (since it says 1, if i put here 3, then it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing the content of two files to a single file horizontally

Hi all, assume that i am having two files file.1 and file.2 these are the contents of file.1 these are the contents of file.2 i want these two contents to be written in another single file like this. can you please post your suggestions. Thanks in advance, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters vertically

I do have a big file in the following format >A1 ATGCGG >A2 TCATGC >A3 -TGCTG The number of characters will be same under each subheader and only possible characters are A,T,G,C and - I want to count the number of A's, T's,G's, C's & -'s vertically for all the positions so that I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculation of column both horizontally and vertically

Hi ALL I have this data ail,UTT,id1_0,COMBO,21,24,21,19 al,UTHAST,id1_0,COMBO,342,390,361,361 dmo,UTST,id1_0,COMBO,21,15,22,23 vne,UAST,id1_0,COMBO,345,372,390,393 I wan the sum of column 5,6,7 & 8 both horizontal and vertical. There is one more prob the column keeps on increasing... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lookup horizontally and vertically and calculate counts

Hello, Please help create the following report. I have a matrix - S1 S2 S3 S4 M1 AA AA TT - M2 AG AG AA GG M3 GG TT - - a first lookup table M3 chr7 4.456 M1 chr7 28.9 M2 chr8 129.678 a second lookup table S1 GGHBBGG/DEDD(@DCCD) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianp83
8 Replies
hpls(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   hpls(1)

NAME
hpls -- list the contents of a directory on an HFS+ volume SYNOPSIS
hpls [options] [hfs-path ...] Description hpls is used to list files and directories on an HFS+ volume. If one or more arguments are given, each file or directory is shown; other- wise, the contents of the current working directory are displayed. Options -1 Each entry appears on a line by itself. This is the default if standard output is not a terminal. -a All entries are shown, including "invisible" files. The default is to omit invisible files. -c Sort and display entries by their creation date, rather than their modification date. -d List directory entries themselves rather than their contents. Normally the contents are shown for named directories on the com- mand-line. -i Show the catalogue ID for each entry. Every file and directory on an HFS+ volume has a unique catalogue ID. -l Display entries in long format. This format shows the entry type ("d" for directory, "f" for file, "F" for locked file), flags ("i" for invisible), type and creator (four-character strings) for files only, size (number of items in a directory or resource and data bytes of a file, respectively), date of last modification (or creation if the -c flag is given), and name. -m Display entries in a continuous format separated by commas. -q Replace special and non-printable characters in displayed filenames with question marks (?). This is the default when standard output is a terminal. -r Sort entries in reverse order before displaying. -s Show the file size for each entry in 1K block units. The size includes blocks used for both data and resource forks. -t Sort and display entries by time. Normally files will be sorted by name. This option uses the last modification date to sort unless -c is also specified. -x Display entries in column format like -C, but sorted horizontally into rows rather than columns. -w width Format output lines suitable for display in the given width. Normally the width will be determined from your terminal, from the environment variable COLUMNS, or from a default value of 80. -C Display entries in column format with entries sorted vertically. This is the default output format when standard output is a terminal. -F Cause certain output filenames to be followed by a single-character flag indicating the nature of the entry; directories are fol- lowed by a slash "/" and executable Macintosh applications are followed by an asterisk "*". -N Cause all filenames to be output verbatim without question-mark substitution. -R For each directory that is encountered in a listing, recursively descend into and display its contents. See also hfsplus(7), hpmount(1), hpcd(1), hppwd(1), hprm(1), hpmkdir(1), hpcopy(1), hpumount(1), hpfsck(1). Author This manual page was written by Jens Schmalzing <jensen@debian.org> for Debian GNU/Linux using the manual page by Klaus Halfmann <half- mann@libra.de> that comes with the source code and documentation from the Tech Info Library. hpls(1)