Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in reading a file horizontally and printing vertically Post 302326927 by Scott on Friday 19th of June 2009 07:18:29 AM
Old 06-19-2009
Or keep it short...

awk ' NR % 5 {printf ("%s ", $0);next} { print "" }' file

---------- Post updated at 06:18 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:12 AM ----------

Even better is keep it short, and make sure it works ;-)

awk ' NR % 5 {printf ("%s ", $0);next} { print }' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Merging Two File Horizontally

I am trying to merge two large file horizontally using paste command. Every thing is working fine except for time. Its taking lot of time. Is there any effiecient way of doing the same thing or is there anyway by which I can improve its perfomance programatically? Thanks, Yeheya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yeheyaansari
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading two files, comparing, printing when unmatched value is seen

Hello, I have two files: file1 1 2 3 4 5 file2 "a","b",,,,,"c","1",..... "s","d",,,,,"s","1",..... "a","c",,,,,"d","1",.... "f","v",,,,,,"f","2",..... etc I have to read "1" from file1 and grab all records in file2 (say column 6 in file2 is "1") until the column changes its value (... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.scientist
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and printing one by one contents of a file

I have a file which has following contents: localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552455.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552460.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552467.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552759.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552969.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552975.xml ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending two files vertically

Hi Need ur help for the below question. I have two files File-1 & File-2. File-1(This is a fixed file i.e. the content of this file is not going to change over a period of time) ------ a b c d e File-2 (This is a file which changes daily but the record count remains the same)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 46019
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed to write horizontally & sequentially in a file

Hey there I have two commands to get exactly the data i want but.. i want to write them into a file side by side and in the same order so that they always match. So what i'm hoping to learn from this thread is some of the different ways one could take the output of grepped data and write them in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
7 Replies

6. Programming

help with C programming (reading from files and printing them) (not C++)

I have a file called dvwl.c, and I am running it on a putty (unix server) using: gcc -Wall -g -o mycode dvwl.c ./mycode 1 /usr/share/dict/words s What it does is, it opens up words (since i gave that path) and reads the lines skipping the first line (since it says 1, if i put here 3, then it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing the content of two files to a single file horizontally

Hi all, assume that i am having two files file.1 and file.2 these are the contents of file.1 these are the contents of file.2 i want these two contents to be written in another single file like this. can you please post your suggestions. Thanks in advance, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters vertically

I do have a big file in the following format >A1 ATGCGG >A2 TCATGC >A3 -TGCTG The number of characters will be same under each subheader and only possible characters are A,T,G,C and - I want to count the number of A's, T's,G's, C's & -'s vertically for all the positions so that I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculation of column both horizontally and vertically

Hi ALL I have this data ail,UTT,id1_0,COMBO,21,24,21,19 al,UTHAST,id1_0,COMBO,342,390,361,361 dmo,UTST,id1_0,COMBO,21,15,22,23 vne,UAST,id1_0,COMBO,345,372,390,393 I wan the sum of column 5,6,7 & 8 both horizontal and vertical. There is one more prob the column keeps on increasing... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lookup horizontally and vertically and calculate counts

Hello, Please help create the following report. I have a matrix - S1 S2 S3 S4 M1 AA AA TT - M2 AG AG AA GG M3 GG TT - - a first lookup table M3 chr7 4.456 M1 chr7 28.9 M2 chr8 129.678 a second lookup table S1 GGHBBGG/DEDD(@DCCD) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianp83
8 Replies
DXmSvnGetHighlighted(3X)												  DXmSvnGetHighlighted(3X)

NAME
DXmSvnGetHighlighted - Retrieves (returns) a list of entries currently highlighted by the user. SYNOPSIS
void DXmSvnGetHighlighted( Widget widget, int *entries(), XtPointer *tags(), int len ); PARAMETERS
The identifier (widget ID) of the SVN widget. A pointer to an array of integers to receive the highlighted entry numbers. A pointer to an array of longwords to receive the application's entry_tag value for each highlighted entry. If tags are not required, a null pointer may be passed. An integer that represents the number of entries allocated in the provided array. DESCRIPTION
The DXmSvnGetHighlighted routine returns a list of entries that are currently highlighted by the user. Make this call in your application between calls to DXmSvnDisableDisplay and DXmSvnEnableDisplay to ensure that the highlighted list is not changing. The application is responsible for managing the memory used to return this list of highlighted entries. As such, note the following: At the minimum, the number of entries in the array should be capable of holding the number of entries indicated by the value returned from the DXmSvnGetNumHighlighted routine. If there are more entries in the array than the application will need, the SVN widget will set the value for those extra entries to 0. If the capacity of the arrays passed is less than the number of selected entries, only the number of entries allocated in the provided array (the value for len) will be returned. DXmSvnGetHighlighted(3X)