Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: recursive wc on a directory?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers recursive wc on a directory? Post 302326923 by methyl on Friday 19th of June 2009 07:09:31 AM
Old 06-19-2009
Code:
find . -type f -print|while read FILENAME
do
      cat "${FILENAME}"
done | wc -l

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

non recursive search in the current directory only

Hi, Am trying for a script which should delete more than 15 days older files in my current directory.Am using the below piece of code: "find /tmp -type f -name "pattern" -mtime +15 -exec /usr/bin/ls -altr {} \;" "find /tmp -type f -name "pattern" -mtime +15 -exec /usr/bin/rm -f {} \;" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: puppala
9 Replies

2. Programming

recursive copy of the directory

I want to copy a directory recursively ( it again has directories) and the directory is on windows and is nfsmounted in vxWorks, i am using unix to develop the code for this, can any one suggest me how to copy the directories recursively. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepthi.s
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive directory listing with ownership

i'm playing around with "ls" and "find" and am trying to get a print out of directories, with full path, (recursive) and their ownership.... without files or package contents (Mac .pkg or .mpkg files). I'd like it simply displayed without much/any extraneous info. everything i've tried, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alternapop
5 Replies

4. Programming

Recursive remove directory.

What is the best way to completely remove dir with it's content ??? rmdir deletes only EMPTY dirs as i know. The man page of remove function says "remove() deletes a name from the file system." Can it remove any dir recursively ??? :rolleyes: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trump
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursive directory search using ls instead of find

I was working on a shell script and found that the find command took too long, especially when I had to execute it multiple times. After some thought and research I came up with two functions. fileScan() filescan will cd into a directory and perform any operations you would like from within... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newreverie
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive copy into a directory and all its subdirectories...

I want to copy a file from the top directory into all the sub-folders and all of the sub-folders of those sub-folder etc. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Thanks in advance of any help you can give. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EinsteinMcfly
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Chattr recursive exclude directory

Attempting to recursive chattr directories while excluding a directory, however the command which works with chown does not seem to with chattr find /mysite/public_html ! -wholename '/mysite/public_html/images' -type d -exec chattr -R +i {} \; find /mysite/public_html -not -path "*/images*"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carnagel
2 Replies
INFO(1) 							   User Commands							   INFO(1)

NAME
info - read Info documents SYNOPSIS
info [OPTION]... [MENU-ITEM...] DESCRIPTION
Read documentation in Info format. OPTIONS
--apropos=STRING look up STRING in all indices of all manuals. -d, --directory=DIR add DIR to INFOPATH. --dribble=FILENAME remember user keystrokes in FILENAME. -f, --file=FILENAME specify Info file to visit. -h, --help display this help and exit. --index-search=STRING go to node pointed by index entry STRING. -n, --node=NODENAME specify nodes in first visited Info file. -o, --output=FILENAME output selected nodes to FILENAME. -R, --raw-escapes output "raw" ANSI escapes (default). --no-raw-escapes output escapes as literal text. --restore=FILENAME read initial keystrokes from FILENAME. -O, --show-options, --usage go to command-line options node. --subnodes recursively output menu items. -w, --where, --location print physical location of Info file. --vi-keys use vi-like and less-like key bindings. --version display version information and exit. The first non-option argument, if present, is the menu entry to start from; it is searched for in all `dir' files along INFOPATH. If it is not present, info merges all `dir' files and shows the result. Any remaining arguments are treated as the names of menu items relative to the initial node visited. EXAMPLES
info show top-level dir menu info emacs start at emacs node from top-level dir info emacs buffers start at buffers node within emacs manual info --show-options emacs start at node with emacs' command line options info -f ./foo.info show file ./foo.info, not searching dir REPORTING BUGS
Email bug reports to bug-texinfo@gnu.org, general questions and discussion to help-texinfo@gnu.org. Texinfo home page: http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc. There is NO warranty. You may redistribute this software under the terms of the GNU General Public License. For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING. info 4.8 December 2004 INFO(1)