Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting variable inside variable inside loop headache Post 302326646 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 18th of June 2009 10:43:40 AM
Old 06-18-2009
How about this --
Code:
while read col1 col2
do
   case "$col1" in
		"serial:") db_serial=$col2;;
      'hostname:') db_hostname=$col2;;      
         "model:") db_model=$col2;;
       "assetID:") db_asssetID=$col2;;
       *);;
   esac                         
   echo  "db_serial=    $db_serial   "
   echo  "db_hostname=  $db_hostname "
   echo  "db_model=     $db_model    "
   echo  "db_asssetID=  $db_asssetID "

done < filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass a variable to an update sql statement inside a loop

hi all, i am experiencing an error which i think an incorrect syntax for the where clause passing a variable was given. under is my code. sqlplus -s ${USERNAME}/${PASSWORD}@${SID} << END1 >> $LOGFILE whenever sqlerror exit set serveroutput on size 1000000 declare l_rc ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryukishin_17
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give a variable output name in a shell script inside a for loop

Hi all I run my program prog.c in the following way : $ ./prog 1 > output.txt where 1 is a user defined initial value used by the program. But now I want to run it for many a thousand initial values, 1-1000, and store all the outputs in different files. Like $ ./prog 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alice06
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic variable assignment inside a for loop

cs1=`echo "scale=8;($css1/$css0)*100"|bc` cs2=`echo "scale=8;($css2/$css0)*100"|bc` cs3=`echo "scale=8;($css3/$css0)*100"|bc` cs4=`echo "scale=8;($css4/$css0)*100"|bc` cs5=`echo "scale=8;($css5/$css0)*100"|bc` cs6=`echo "scale=8;($css6/$css0)*100"|bc` cs7=`echo "scale=8;($css7/$css0)*100"|bc`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print value for a $variable inside a $variable or file

Hi guys, I have a file "abc.dat" in below format: FILE_PATH||||$F_PATH TABLE_LIST||||a|b|c SYST_NM||||${SRC_SYST} Now I am trying to read the above file and want to print the value for above dollar variables F_PATH and SRC_SYST. The problem is it's reading the dollar variables as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcabc1103
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable and awk inside for loop

Thanks all for taking time out and reading this thread and big Thanks to all who have come forward for rescue. Background: I have a variable "nbrofcols" that has number of columns from a data file. Now, using this count in for loop, I am trying to get the maximum length of each column present... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: svks1985
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable inside while loop got reset

hi, I am using hp unix server and not getting variable output present inside the while loop. I have tried changing the code and need to verify whether it is proper practice of code. I am expecting the output of varible RUN_FILE 3 to TRUE which i get inside the while loop. RUN_FILE 1=TRUE... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamsoft
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a Boolean variable which succeed and failed inside the if loop in shell script ?

I have if loop with multiple variable value check in if loop. How can i print only if loop satisfied variable and its value in shell script ? I dont want to check each variable in if loop. That makes my script larger. if ] then echo "Only satisfied variable with value" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince1987
3 Replies
UPSRW(8)							    NUT Manual								  UPSRW(8)

NAME
upsrw - UPS variable administration tool SYNOPSIS
upsrw ups upsrw -h upsrw -s variable [-u username] [-p password] ups DESCRIPTION
upsrw allows you to view and change the read/write variables inside your UPS. It sends commands via the server upsd(8) to your driver, which configures the hardware for you. The list of variables that allow you to change their values is based on the capabilities of your UPS equipment. Not all models support this feature. Typically, cheaper hardware does not support any of them. Run upsrw with a UPS identifier to see what will work for you. OPTIONS
-h Display the help message. -s variable Specify the variable to be changed inside the UPS. For unattended mode such as in shell scripts, use the format VAR=VALUE to specify both the variable and the value, for example: -s input.transfer.high=129 Without this argument, upsrw will just display the list of the variables and their possible values. Some variables are strings, and can be set to any value within the length limit. Others are enumerated types and can only be set to one of those values. Others may be within an allowed range of values. Refer to the list to know what's available in your hardware. -u username Set the NUT username for the connection to the server. This is optional, and you will be prompted for this when using the -s option if you don't specify -u on the command line. NUT usernames are defined in upsd.users(5), and are not linked to system usernames. -p password Set the password to authenticate to the server. This is also optional like -u, and you will be prompted for it if necessary. ups View or change the settings on this UPS. The format for this option is upsname[@hostname[:port]]. The default hostname is "localhost". UNATTENDED MODE
If you run this program inside a shell script or similar to set variables, you will need to specify all of the information on the command line. This means using -s VAR=VALUE, -u and -p. Otherwise it will put up a prompt and your program will hang. This is not necessary when displaying the list, as the username and password are not required for read-only mode. DIAGNOSTICS
upsrw can't set variables on your UPS unless you provide a valid username and password. If you get "access denied" errors, make sure that your upsd.users(5) has an entry for you, and that the username you are using has permissions to SET variables. HISTORY
This program used to be called upsct2, which was ambiguous and confusing. SEE ALSO
upsd(8), upscmd(8) Internet resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.networkupstools.org/ Network UPS Tools 05/24/2012 UPSRW(8)