Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between console and ttys Post 302326575 by vbe on Thursday 18th of June 2009 08:32:41 AM
Old 06-18-2009
Since you are a newbie, this may be of great interest for you:
OSXFAQ - Technical News and Support for Mac OS X

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ttys.. i must be doing something wrong..

SCO Unix OpenServer 5 I have this old impact printer that prints invoices, after about 15 pages it becomes misaligned. ditty -a ttya04 shows -ixon -ixoff -ixany, which is not the right setting.. so, i type ditty /dev/ttya04 ixon ixoff -ixany when i ditty -a ttya04 again, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LowOrderBit
2 Replies

2. Programming

what difference between "terminal" and "console"

1 . Thank you for reading the post first. 2 . what difference between "terminal" and "console" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dead pseudo-ttys

We are having a problem on an AIX 4.3 system, whereby users somehow exit the system in a way such that their process continues to run. In the who listing, the user may or may not be listed. Processes are still listed in ps, and are still assigned to the pseudo-tty. Processes continue to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markat2k
1 Replies

4. AIX

Difference between tty and console devices ?

Hi, What is the diference between these two ? thanks Vilius (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

5. Programming

What is the difference between console-based and xwindow-based application?

Hi everyone, What is the difference between console-based and Xwindow-based application? Can I say the application working well in Xwindows can work in console? Can I say the application working well in console cann't work in Xwindow perhaps. Eg, ncurses is console-based and Imlib2 is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuyan03
4 Replies

6. AIX

all pseudo ttys busy, AIX 5.2

I have several users connecting via a Windows-based SSH\telnet client. The previous sysadmin used FacetTerm to allow certain users to switch between multiple "windows." I'm told there are AIX-native ways to do this but I work with what I inherited. Originally, many users were still connecting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacroix
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows to Linux remote console using VNC brings up blank console screen with only mouse pointer

:confused:Hi This was installed on the Linux box a few weeks back by a guy that no longer works for us. All worked fine until last week. Now when we connect its just a blank screen with no icons. I get a whole bunch of errors when starting the service too: Tue Feb 23 14:29:45 2010 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Difference between the desktop session and console session

what is the difference between desktop session and console session in solaris as i am wondering we use option -text for the former and -nowin for the later (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kishanreddy
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between console and Terminal.

I see these terms used all the time with hardly any distinction between the two. Any clarification would be appreciated!:) I could only get emacs to open in console so I was also wondering what are the common applications to use in console.:wall: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between system console and ILOM .

HI Guru's Can any one explain me the difference between a system console and a ILOM (SC). Thanks in Advance. RK :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
4 Replies
last(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   last(1)

NAME
last, lastb - indicate last logins of users and ttys SYNOPSIS
file] [name ...] [tty ...] file] [name ...] [tty ...] DESCRIPTION
The command searches backwards through the file (which contains a record of all logins and logouts) for information about a user, a tty, or any group of users and ttys. Arguments specify names of users or ttys of interest. The names of ttys can be given fully or abbreviated. For example, is the same as If multiple arguments are given, the information that applies to any of the arguments is printed. For example, lists all of sessions as well as all sessions on the console terminal. The command prints the sessions of the specified users and ttys, most recent first, indicating when the session began, the duration of the session, and the tty on which the session took place. indicates if the session is still in progress or if it was cut short by a reboot. The pseudo-user logs each time the system reboots. Thus, is a useful command for evaluating the relative time between system reboots. If is interrupted, it indicates how far the search has progressed in If interrupted by a quit signal (generated by a Ctrl-), indicates how far the search has progressed, then continues the search. The command searches backwards through the database file to display bad login information. Access to should be restricted to users with appropriate privileges (owned by and readable only by because it may contain password information. Options The and commands recognize the following options and arguments: (none) If no arguments are specified, prints a record of all logins and logouts in reverse order, most recent first. When used with and displays the user's host name as it is stored in the files and respectively. The host name is displayed between the tty name and the user's login time. Limits the report to number of lines. Use file as the name of the accounting file instead of or Use file as the name of the accounting database instead of This option should be used along with the option. Display the fields in long format if this flag is used along with the flag. Without the flag, normal output is displayed. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. FILES
Bad login database Login database New login database New bad login database SEE ALSO
login(1), utmp(4), wtmps(4). last(1)