Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting really basic for loop question Post 302326501 by lathavim on Thursday 18th of June 2009 05:33:54 AM
Old 06-18-2009
Try this

for n in "`cat list`"
do
echo "$n"
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A basic question of FOR loop

Hi, have a basic query. Please see the below code: list="one two three" for var in $list ; do echo $var list="nolist" Done Wht if I want to print only first/ last line in the list Eg one & three Regards er_ashu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic bash 'for loop' usage

Hi! I have a simple question about using a for loop. I'm trying to open up all the zip files in the currect directory with ark, but I am getting the error "bash: syntax error near unexpected token `for $i ; do ark $i ; done ; I looked in the info pages for bash, but I can't seem to figure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orange Stripes
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic While loop won't exit...

Hi everyone - just like to say great forum...I've learned a lot off here but I just can't figure this one out...(first post) I'm writing a script to monitor a directory and email the latest modified file....(I realize there are better ways than I'm trying here...I don't like copying and pasting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trevthefatty
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Basic Question regarding "while" loop

Hi, I have a loop like this - while read item do // fire insert query done < itemList.txt The itemList.txt has say, 1000 records. Now what I do is that rhough another program, I make the itemList.txt EMPTY, but still the INSERT query keeps firing the sequence of records. ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
18 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell basic loop massive n00b

hey guys I would really appreciate some help, i need to do a project for a job that requires minimal UNIX scripting and im REALLY stuck basically Im stuck at what i believe is something really simple but i just dont have a clue how to do it efficiently and properly and i REALLY appreciate some... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: thurft
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic bash, echo in loop for

Hi, I am trying to make a script to manage log. I want to write the name of the .gz I moved and the date : for i in `ls $replog/*.gz` do echo " $i " `echo $i date +%d:%m:%Y` `echo $datee `>> $replog/mrnet.log mv $i /var/log/vieux-logs done I need to echo... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dabless
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to run a basic for loop

OS : RHEL 6.1 Shell : Bash I had a similair post on this a few weeks back. But I didn't explain my requirements clearly then. Hence starting a new thread now. I have lots of files in /tmp/stage directory as show below. I want to loop through each files to run a command on each file. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic loop awk/shell script question..

Hi, Sorry if this is a newbie question. I guess you can use either awk or shell script for this sequence of operations, but knowing very little about either of them I'm not sure how I should try to write this. The basic objective is to copy certain files that are scattered all over my... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc2001
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic help improving for in loop

I'm obviously very new to this. I'm trying to write a simple for loop that will read the directory names in /Users and then copy a file into the same subdir in each user directory. I have this, and it works but it isn't great. #!/bin/bash HOMEDIRS=/Users/* for dirs in $HOMEDIRS; do if ];... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heath_T
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic FOR loop with break

Oracle Linux : 6.4/bash shell In the below I want to break out of the loop when it enters the 5th iteration. #!/bin/bash for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 do echo "$i" if echo "Oh Nooo... i = $i. I need to stop the iteration and jump out of the loop" then break fi done But, it only... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
3 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)