Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to make a log.txt and add date and time when use ls,touch and find Post 302326493 by rakeshawasthi on Thursday 18th of June 2009 05:05:08 AM
Old 06-18-2009
I think you want this...
Code:
alias ls="/bin/ls $@;date >> <PATH_OF_THE_LOG>/log.txt"

similarly do for other commands

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

find files with specific date and time

Hi, I wanna to find files with specific date and time. I know this command: ls -ltr /system1/*.505 | grep 'Jan 18 09:00'. I want the 'Jan 18 09:00' not hard coded, I want it coming from the system date and time. And I want the time varies from 09:00-09:05. Is this possible without heavy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find formatted filename with date time

Hi, I operate and use HF radars along the California coast for ocean surface currents. The devices use Mac OS as the control and logging software. The software generates thousands of files a week and while I've used PERL in the past to solve the problems of finding files I come to realize some... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpath2o
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing a log file based on date/time input and the date/time on the log file

Hi, I'm trying to accomplish the following and would like some suggestions or possible bash script examples that may work I have a directory that has a list of log files that's periodically dumped from a script that is crontab that are rotated 4 generations. There will be a time stamp that is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: primp
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the file names from date/time: Need help

Hi All, I really need help in figuring out how to determine the filenames from the time that is specified as parameter. The script should take as input - the start time and end time in minutes and also start date and end date. Example: reporter.sh -instance Instance_Name -startTime 13:10... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make a log file of extract time

Dear All, Please apology to me if this question already posted, because I try to find it but not found. I have make bash script to automatically download data from ftp and this running very well. and after the data downloaded it will automatically extract the data and keep in the specific... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenboly
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh shell script to add date (YYYYMMDDHHMISS) to all .txt files in a folder

Everyday 15 files are written to a folder \app\where\thefiles\are\destined\CURRFOLDER Task1: I need to add date in YYYYMMDDHHMISS format to each of them. Example: File: ACCOUNT.txt Should be updated as: ACCOUNT_20101005175059.txt Task 2: After I update the files, they need to be ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duminix
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find last updated date and time of a folder in Perl?

Hi All, I have a process which after some time continues move a files to some folder(say the name of the folder is logdir) What i am trying to do is as the files are coming to the logdir folder, I want the latest updated time and date of the folder in PERL. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append the date | abcddate.txt to the first line of my txt file

I want to add/append the info in the following format to my.txt file. 20130702|abcd20130702.txt FN|SN|DOB I tried the below script but it throws me some exceptions. <#!/bin/sh dt = date '+%y%m%d'members; echo $dt+|+members+$dt; /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS="|"; OFS="|"; } { print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harik1982
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Touch - changing date and time

Hi, I am facing a problem with the command - TOUCH on Linux. See the example below: File on Linux: rw-rw-r-- user1 user1 Jan 01 09:00 test.txt The file - test.txt was created by the user - user1. Now, I want to change the date and time, but using other user - user2 The user2... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: brjohnsmith
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In HP-UX how to find the date time difference ?

Hello, In HP-UX how to find the date time difference ? Start time: 28-APR-2019 21:36:01 End time : 29-APR-2019 00:36:04 ---------------------- Difference is ---------------------- Much appreciate any pointer or view on this. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
3 Replies
clfmerge(1)							     logtools							       clfmerge(1)

NAME
clfmerge - merge Common-Log Format web logs based on time-stamps SYNOPSIS
clfmerge [--help | -h] [-b size] [-d] [file names] DESCRIPTION
The clfmerge program is designed to avoid using sort to merge multiple web log files. Web logs for big sites consist of multiple files in the >100M size range from a number of machines. For such files it is not practical to use a program such as gnusort to merge the files because the data is not always entirely in order (so the merge option of gnusort doesn't work so well), but it is not in random order (so doing a complete sort would be a waste). Also the date field that is being sorted on is not particularly easy to specify for gnusort (I have seen it done but it was messy). This program is designed to simply and quickly sort multiple large log files with no need for temporary storage space or overly large buf- fers in memory (the memory footprint is generally only a few megs). OVERVIEW
It will take a number (from 0 to n) of file-names on the command line, it will open them for reading and read CLF format web log data from them all. Lines which don't appear to be in CLF format (NB they aren't parsed fully, only minimal parsing to determine the date is per- formed) will be rejected and displayed on standard-error. If zero files are specified then there will be no error, it will just silently output nothing, this is for scripts which use the find com- mand to find log files and which can't be counted on to find any log files, it saves doing an extra check in your shell scripts. If one file is specified then the data will be read into a 1000 line buffer and it will be removed from the buffer (and displayed on stan- dard output) in date order. This is to handle the case of web servers which date entries on the connection time but write them to the log at completion time and thus generate log files that aren't in order (Netscape web server does this - I haven't checked what other web servers do). If more than one file is specified then a line will be read from each file, the file that had the earliest time stamp will be read from until it returns a time stamp later than one of the other files. Then the file with the earlier time stamp will be read. With multiple files the buffer size is 1000 lines or 100 * the number of files (whichever is larger). When the buffer becomes full the first line will be removed and displayed on standard output. OPTIONS
-b buffer-size Specify the buffer-size to use, if 0 is specified then it means to disable the sliding-window sorting of the data which improves the speed. -d Set domain-name mangling to on. This means that if a line starts with as the name of the site that was requested then that would be removed from the start of the line and the GET / would be changed to GET http://www.company.com/ which allows programs like Webal- izer to produce good graphs for large hosting sites. Also it will make the domain name in lower case. EXIT STATUS
0 No errors 1 Bad parameters 2 Can't open one of the specified files 3 Can't write to output AUTHOR
This program, its manual page, and the Debian package were written by Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>. SEE ALSO
clfsplit(1),clfdomainsplit(1) Russell Coker <;russell@coker.com.au> 0.06 clfmerge(1)