Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count lines between two patterns inside a file Post 302326456 by panyam on Thursday 18th of June 2009 03:35:24 AM
Old 06-18-2009
As Rhije said,

try the following :

Code:
sed '/#ifdef/,/#endif/ p'  input_file | wc -l

sed search for the pattern till the end and the last matched it will consider.

Rhije : I asked priya to post input as well as output expected , since we will get clear clarity ( than textual explanation).

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the count of records from tables present inside a file.

hi gurus, I am having a file containing a list of tables.i want to find the count of records inside thes tables. for this i have to connect into database and i have to put the count for all the tables inside another file i used the following loop once all the tablenames are inside the file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines inside a file.

hi.... I have a file having more then thousand lines. i want to remove selected lines in it. And also if there exists two duplicate lines, I want to delete one of them. Please help me with awk and shell. :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_tus
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing file lines that each match to a different patterns

I have a very large file (10,000,000 lines), that contains a sample id and a property of that sample. I have another file that contains around 1,000,000 lines with sample ids that I want to remove from the original file (create a new file without these lines). I know how to do this in Perl, but it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jo_puzzled
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count number of unique patterns from a log file

Hello Everyone I need your help in fixing this issue., I have a log file which has data of users logging in to an application. I want to search for a particular pattern in the log ISSessionValidated=N If this key word is found , the above 8 lines will contain the name of the user who's... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtechkid
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading lines from a file between two search patterns

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and is working on a script to extract lines from a log file between two time stamps using awk command. After some research I used following command: awk '/01 Oct 2011/{p=1} /10 Oct 2011/{p=0} p' test.log >> tmp.log This works fine. But now i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidtd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

count the number of occurring patterns in a file.

Hi, I have a file with a '|' pipe delimeter. I want to find number of counts for a particular pattern in particular field. Is it possible to do it in a single command? 1) want to find total number of "0" in field 4. 2) want to find total number of different records in field 4 ( similar to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to Count Multiple patterns in a huge file

Hi, I have a file that is 430K lines long. It has records like below |site1|MAP |site2|MAP |site1|MODAL |site2|MAP |site2|MODAL |site2|LINK |site1|LINK My task is to count the number of time MAP, MODAL, LINK occurs for a single site and write new records like below to a new file ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reach.sree@gmai
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search multiple patterns and remove lines from a file?

Hi, I have a file content as below. Table : PAYR Displayed fields: 15 of 15 Fixed columns: 4 List width 0999... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shirdi
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print before and after lines then count of patterns

What i'm trying to do here is show X amount of lines before and after the string "serialNumber" is found. BEFORE=3 AFTER=2 gawk '{a=$0} {count=0} /serialNumber/ && /./ {for(i=NR-'"${BEFORE}"';i<=NR;i++){count++ ;print a}for(i=1;i<'"${AFTER}"';i++){getline; print ; count ++; print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
PREPROCESS(1)						      General Commands Manual						     PREPROCESS(1)

NAME
preprocess - Preprocess a file. SYNOPSIS
preprocess [options...] infile DESCRIPTION
Preprocess is like a typical C preprocessor, but it extends to multiple languages. Languages for which it works include: C++, Python, Perl, Tcl, XML, JavaScript, CSS, IDL, TeX, Fortran, PHP, Java, Shell scripts (Bash, CSH, etc.) and C#. Preprocess is usable both as a command line app and as a Python module. OPTIONS
-h, --help Print help text and exit. -V, --version Print the version info and exit. -v, --verbose Give verbose output for errors. -o outfile Write output to the given file instead of to stdout. -f, --force Overwrite given output file. Otherwise an IOError will be raised if outfile already exists. -D define Define a variable for preprocessing. define can simply be a variable name (in which case it will be true) or it can be of the form var=val. An attempt will be made to convert val to an integer so "-D FOO=0" will create a false value. -I dir Add a directory to the include path for #include directives. -k, --keep-lines Emit empty lines for preprocessor statement lines and skipped output lines. This allows line numbers to stay constant. -s, --substitute Substitute defines into emitted lines. By default substitution is NOT done because it currently will substitute into program strings. MODULE USAGE
from preprocess import preprocess preprocess(infile, outfile=sys.stdout, defines={}, force=0, keepLines=0, includePath=[], substitute=0) The <infile> can be marked up with special preprocessor statement lines of the form: <comment-prefix> <preprocessor-statement> <comment-suffix> where the <comment-prefix/suffix> are the native comment delimiters for that file type. EXAMPLES
HTML (*.htm, *.html) or XML (*.xml, *.kpf, *.xul) files: <!-- #if FOO --> ... <!-- #endif --> Python (*.py), Perl (*.pl), Tcl (*.tcl), Ruby (*.rb), Bash (*.sh), or make ([Mm]akefile*) files: # #if defined('FAV_COLOR') and FAV_COLOR == "blue" ... # #elif FAV_COLOR == "red" ... # #else ... # #endif C (*.c, *.h), C++ (*.cpp, *.cxx, *.cc, *.h, *.hpp, *.hxx, *.hh), Java (*.java), PHP (*.php) or C# (*.cs) files: // #define FAV_COLOR 'blue' ... /* #ifndef FAV_COLOR */ ... // #endif Fortran 77 (*.f) or 90/95 (*.f90) files: C #if COEFF == 'var' ... C #endif PREPROCESSOR SYNTAX
Valid statements: #define <var> [<value>] #undef <var> #ifdef <var> #ifndef <var> #if <expr> #elif <expr> #else #endif #error <error string> #include "<file>" where <expr> is any valid Python expression. The expression after #if/elif may be a Python statement. It is an error to refer to a variable that has not been defined by a -D option or by an in-content #define. Special built-in methods for expressions: defined(varName) Return true if given variable is defined. TIPS
A suggested file naming convention is to let input files to preprocess be of the form <basename>.p.<ext> and direct the output of prepro- cess to <basename>.<ext>, e.g.: preprocess -o foo.py foo.p.py The advantage is that other tools (esp. editors) will still recognize the unpreprocessed file as the original language. AUTHORS
Trent Mick <trentm@gmail.com> This manual page was written by Johannes Ring <johannr@simula.no> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). PREPROCESS(1)