Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SSH starting nohup'd process - not exiting Post 302326150 by sendchar on Wednesday 17th of June 2009 07:51:28 AM
Old 06-17-2009
redirecting input

You have to redirect input of the nohup'd process (</dev/null).

The ssh connects the local terminal's input/output/error with the remote process. So it won't release the connection until any process on the remote side holds a reference to the local input (and maybe output/error as well but I cannot confirm this).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exiting eXceed window kills my process

Hi, I run a binary application with GUI accessibility. To launch and close the application i follow the following steps: 1.Log into a console session. Export display to the local workstation. 2.Launch X windows app ( eXceed ) 3.From terminal session go to the my application directory and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantaputi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pid of nohup process

I want to print the pid of a nohup process to a file so later I can use the list of pid's in that file to stop the background processes again. I use ksh on AIXv5.3: nohup /start/script.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ > .pid nohup /start/script2.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ >> .pid But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to starting process as daemon using ssh command?

Hello, I need to run a command on remote Linux using the ssh command from my local machine. I am able to execute the command on remote machine using ssh but it's behaving strangely. The command is supposed to start a daemon process on remote linux box and the control should return back to me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinshukla
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH/Bash] Starting a parent process from a child process?

Hey all, I need to launch a script from within 2 other scripts that can run independently of the two parent scripts... Im having a hard time doing this, if anyone knows how please let me know. More detail. ScriptA (bash), ScriptB (ksh), ScriptC (bash) ScriptA, launches ScriptB ScirptB,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh a nohup command

I have a script I'm creating to spawn netcat listeners on a remote server for copying files at high speeds. The issue I'm running into is that after running the "nohup nc -l -p 12345 | tar -xvf - &" commands I can't get the remote shell to terminate. I'm not sure if this is working as intended or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: headcr4sh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh -t and nohup

I have a fairly simple script like so: nohup java -jar program.jar >> log 2>&1 & echo $! > pidfile This works great when using ssh server "script.sh" but not when using ssh -t server "script.sh" The solution I came up with was to call sleep after recording the child pid. My guess at the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: croachrose
2 Replies

8. AIX

How to kill exiting process in AIX

I could not able to kill two process which is running in the required port for me.Can any body help me to kill the exiting process. - 27000908 - - - <exiting> - 30998528 - - - <exiting> (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanta
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process with tee is not exiting out

Hi I have a script which we are calling as below from another script but it does not exit out and just hang there. main.ksh #!/bin.ksh echo "test1" test.ksh | tee /tmp/abc.txt echo "test2" it prints test1 and then just hangs on test.ksh | tee /tmp/abc.txt if i check the messages from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh - running remote command not exiting

Hi, i have a shellscript, where in i need to connect to different server start these three jobs and exit from the server and start the same three jobs on local server. ssh user@remotehost 'bash -s' << EOF ${GETT_HOME}/bin/start1 & sleep 10 ${GETT_HOME}/bin/start2 & sleep 10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swapnabhargav
1 Replies
NOHUP(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup - run a command immune to hangups, with output to a non-tty SYNOPSIS
nohup COMMAND [ARG]... nohup OPTION DESCRIPTION
Run COMMAND, ignoring hangup signals. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If standard input is a terminal, redirect it from an unreadable file. If standard output is a terminal, append output to 'nohup.out' if possible, '$HOME/nohup.out' otherwise. If standard error is a terminal, redirect it to standard output. To save output to FILE, use 'nohup COMMAND > FILE'. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of nohup, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's doc- umentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report nohup translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/nohup> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) nohup invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 NOHUP(1)