Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting get output of program within a script to a file Post 302325625 by TonyFullerMalv on Monday 15th of June 2009 07:58:43 PM
Old 06-15-2009
It is highly unlikely that a binary is calling a script to produce a pop-up window therefore it may be an idea to simply use something like Gimp or Xv to grab screenshot while the pop-up window is on the display which you can then view at your leisure?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture output of program to file with limited filesize

I'm working on a script that will perform a backup, save a log of said backup and send the output to me in an email. Everything is working fine so far except that I can't figure out how to specify a maximum file size for the log file. I don't want a runaway log file jamming up the server.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spectre_240sx
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directing program output to a file

When I do time tar cvf /dev/st0 /mnt/junk >> /root/benchlog, I want it to put the output of the time command into the benchlog file, but it put /mnt/junk. How do I get it to put the output of the tar command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to open program and send/execute command in program

Hi, i want to write a script that executes a program (exec?) . this program then requires a filename as input. how do i give it this input in the script so the program will be complete run and close by the script. e.g. exec prog.exe program then asks for filename "enter filename:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuathan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Way to save output result of a program into another new file...

Does anybody know any alternative way to save output result of a program into another new file? I got try the command below: program_used input_file > new_output_file program_used input_file >> new_output_file Unfortunately, both the ">" and ">>" is not work at this case to save the output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me! Format output file using shell program

Hi, I have following input file. I want to generate output file in specific format using shell program. The input file has atleast few thousands of lines, the below are some sample lines. Input file: "ORDER NO"|"ORDER AMT"|"LINE ITEM"|"LINE AMT"|"SALES COMMISION %" ORD3456|5000|LIN345|30|25%... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsubha
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk script to run a sql and print the output to an output file

Hi All, I have around 900 Select Sql's which I would like to run in an awk script and print the output of those sql's in an txt file. Can you anyone pls let me know how do I do it and execute the awk script? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adept
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there a way to assing variable a value that is output of a program in awk script?

Hi there is there a way to assing variable a value that is output of a program in awk script. For e.g., I did temp=(`grep "" $5 | cut -f8 -d' '`) but it does not work. Any advice??? Thanks in advance!!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a program-print parameters to output file-replace op file contents with max 4th col

Hi Friends, This is the only solution to my task. So, any help is highly appreciated. I have a file cat input1.bed chr1 100 200 abc chr1 120 300 def chr1 145 226 ghi chr2 567 600 unix Now, I have another file by name input2.bed (This file is a binary file not readable by the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect script output to a file and mail the output

Hi Guys, I want to redirect the output of 3 scripts to a file and then mail the output of those three scripts. I used below but it is not working: OFILE=/home/home1/report1 echo "report1 details" > $OFILE =/home/home1/1.sh > $OFILE echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
7 Replies
grab(n) 						       Tk Built-In Commands							   grab(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
grab - Confine pointer and keyboard events to a window sub-tree SYNOPSIS
grab ?-global? window grab option ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command implements simple pointer and keyboard grabs for Tk. Tk's grabs are different than the grabs described in the Xlib documenta- tion. When a grab is set for a particular window, Tk restricts all pointer events to the grab window and its descendants in Tk's window hierarchy. Whenever the pointer is within the grab window's subtree, the pointer will behave exactly the same as if there had been no grab at all and all events will be reported in the normal fashion. When the pointer is outside window's tree, button presses and releases and mouse motion events are reported to window, and window entry and window exit events are ignored. The grab subtree "owns" the pointer: win- dows outside the grab subtree will be visible on the screen but they will be insensitive until the grab is released. The tree of windows underneath the grab window can include top-level windows, in which case all of those top-level windows and their descendants will continue to receive mouse events during the grab. Two forms of grabs are possible: local and global. A local grab affects only the grabbing application: events will be reported to other applications as if the grab had never occurred. Grabs are local by default. A global grab locks out all applications on the screen, so that only the given subtree of the grabbing application will be sensitive to pointer events (mouse button presses, mouse button releases, pointer motions, window entries, and window exits). During global grabs the window manager will not receive pointer events either. During local grabs, keyboard events (key presses and key releases) are delivered as usual: the window manager controls which application receives keyboard events, and if they are sent to any window in the grabbing application then they are redirected to the focus window. During a global grab Tk grabs the keyboard so that all keyboard events are always sent to the grabbing application. The focus command is still used to determine which window in the application receives the keyboard events. The keyboard grab is released when the grab is released. Grabs apply to particular displays. If an application has windows on multiple displays then it can establish a separate grab on each dis- play. The grab on a particular display affects only the windows on that display. It is possible for different applications on a single display to have simultaneous local grabs, but only one application can have a global grab on a given display at once. The grab command can take any of the following forms: grab ?-global? window Same as grab set, described below. grab current ?window? If window is specified, returns the name of the current grab window in this application for window's display, or an empty string if there is no such window. If window is omitted, the command returns a list whose elements are all of the windows grabbed by this application for all displays, or an empty string if the application has no grabs. grab release window Releases the grab on window if there is one, otherwise does nothing. Returns an empty string. grab set ?-global? window Sets a grab on window. If -global is specified then the grab is global, otherwise it is local. If a grab was already in effect for this application on window's display then it is automatically released. If there is already a grab on window and it has the same global/local form as the requested grab, then the command does nothing. Returns an empty string. grab status window Returns none if no grab is currently set on window, local if a local grab is set on window, and global if a global grab is set. WARNING
It is very easy to use global grabs to render a display completely unusable (e.g. by setting a grab on a widget which does not respond to events and not providing any mechanism for releasing the grab). Take extreme care when using them! BUGS
It took an incredibly complex and gross implementation to produce the simple grab effect described above. Given the current implementa- tion, it is not safe for applications to use the Xlib grab facilities at all except through the Tk grab procedures. If applications try to manipulate X's grab mechanisms directly, things will probably break. If a single process is managing several different Tk applications, only one of those applications can have a local grab for a given display at any given time. If the applications are in different processes, this restriction does not exist. EXAMPLE
Set a grab so that only one button may be clicked out of a group. The other buttons are unresponsive to the mouse until the middle button is clicked. pack [button .b1 -text "Click me! #1" -command {destroy .b1}] pack [button .b2 -text "Click me! #2" -command {destroy .b2}] pack [button .b3 -text "Click me! #3" -command {destroy .b3}] grab .b2 KEYWORDS
grab, keyboard events, pointer events, window Tk grab(n)