Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vi - removing last word
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Vi - removing last word Post 302325553 by ravi.sadani19 on Monday 15th of June 2009 01:04:19 PM
Old 06-15-2009
Vi - removing last word

Hi All,

I want to remove last word from a line using Vi.

Do we have any vi command for that.

line : ss dd ff gg
i have to run some vi command which can delete gg from the line

Thanks,
Ravi Sadani

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

removing first bit from the word

Hello, I have a code like this : pstSimPOIInfo.ppcName = realloc(pstSimPOIInfo.ppcName, (usLen+strlen(CountryName)+4)); memset(pstSimPOIInfo.ppcName, 0, (usLen+strlen(CountryName)+4)); strncpy((char *)pstSimPOIInfo.ppcName, CityName, strlen(CityName)) strcat(pstSimPOIInfo.ppcName, ",");... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing a specific word from a created list

I am working on a script that prompts a user name and creates a list in a username.dat file. Furthermore, I have created a sorted_username.dat file. My question is this: My script uses the word "finished" != finished to break the while loop. How can I avoid having the word "finished" show up in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: erest8
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing the 1st character of the word in perl

Hi All, In one of the sections in my perl script, I need to remove the 1st character of a word and store in an array.The details are , The original script was , if ( ! defined $inq{$node}{"dmx"} ) { print "INFO: Collecting inq disk information for DMX array on $node.\n"; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilash.pa
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a word in a multiple file starting at the dot extension

hi I would like to ask if someone knows a command or a script on how to rename a multiple file in the directory starting at the end of the filename or at the .extension( i would like to remove the last 11 character before the extension) for example Below is the result of my command ls inside... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing newlines after a certain word.

Hello! This is my first post here. I have a file with text like: A</title> B C</title> D I need to format it to: AB CD I am trying to use sed: sed 's/<//title>\n/ /g' file > newfile to delete </title> and the newline character, but the file is unchanged because there are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaytonCPS
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem removing a word from a file in vi

lets say i have a file named ex1 which contain an essay. (a) delete the word "benefit" from the file (b) delete the last 6 characters on each line for the first problem i entered :g/benefit/d but it deletes the whole line please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koricha
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find EXACT word in files, just the word: no prefix, no suffix, no 'similar', just the word

I have a file that has the words I want to find in other files (but lets say I just want to find my words in a single file). Those words are IDs, so if my word is ZZZ4, outputs like aaZZZ4, ZZZ4bb, aaZZZ4bb, ZZ4, ZZZ, ZyZ4, ZZZ4.8 (or anything like that) WON'T BE USEFUL. I need the whole word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicchan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing hyphen from beginning and end of a word only.

It is very simple to remove a hyphen from a word anywhere in that word using a simple sed command (sed -i 's/-//g' filename), but I am not able to figure out how to do this: For example, apple -orange tree pipe- banana-shake dupe- What my output should look like: apple orange tree... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add words in beginning , end after removing a word in a file

My file has the entries like below... /dev/sds /dev/sdak /dev/sdbc /dev/sdbu I want to make the file like below echo 1 > /sys/block/sds/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdak/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbc/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbu/device/rescan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing PATTERN from txt without removing lines and general text formatting

Hi Everybody! First post! Totally noobie. I'm using the terminal to read a poorly formatted book. The text file contains, in the middle of paragraphs, hyphenation to split words that are supposed to be on multiple pages. It looks ve -- ry much like this. I was hoping to use grep -v " -- "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxeHandle
5 Replies
PTS_APROPOS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						    PTS_APROPOS(1)

NAME
pts_apropos - Displays each help entry containing a keyword string SYNOPSIS
pts apropos -topic <help string> [-help] pts ap -t <help string> [-h] DESCRIPTION
The pts apropos command displays the first line of the online help entry for any pts command that has in its name or short description the string specified by the -topic argument. To display the syntax for a command, use the pts help command. OPTIONS
-topic <help string> Specifies the keyword string to match, in lowercase letters only. If the string is more than a single word, surround it with double quotes ("") or other delimiters. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The first line of a command's online help entry names it and briefly describes its function. This command displays the first line for any pts command in which the string specified by the -topic argument is part of the command name or first line. EXAMPLES
The following command lists all pts commands that include the word "create" in their names or short descriptions: % pts apropos create creategroup: create a new group createuser: create a new user PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_help(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 PTS_APROPOS(1)