Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Virtualization and Cloud Computing Amazon CloudFront / S3 Small Object Test Results Post 302325537 by Neo on Friday 22nd of May 2009 08:01:00 AM
Old 05-22-2009
Amazon CloudFront / S3 Small Object Test Results

After some initial confusing results measuring "before-and-after CloudFront/S3" performance, Dennis Opacki, Systems Operations Manager for Amazon Cloudfront offered to help. Working with the test results from a number of members of The UNIX and Linux Forums pulling a small 1623 byte gif object with curl -s -w, we compiled the test results. For each location, we discarded the fastest and slowest times for the Origin Web Server (in Ireland) and the CloudFront (CF) sites and averaged the remaining three samples. The last two columns in the table below represents the difference in performance between the objects hosted. The data seems to suggest a fairly significant performance improvement (with Amazon CloudFront) for all locations worldwide except Ireland, which is not surprising, since Ireland is the location of the original server.

.Web Server (WS) in IrelandCloudFront (CF)Compare Performance (CF/WS)
Client LocationWS First-byte(s)WS Total Transfer(s)CF First-byte(s)CF Total(s)First-byte (%)Total Transfer (%)
Ireland 0.096 0.0970.1010.1016%4%
Netherlands0.1230.1240.0810.081-34%-35%
St Paul, MN0.4720.4740.2840.286-39%-40%
Sofia, Bulgaria0.1340.1340.0810.081-40%-40%
Milan, Italy0.1110.1120.0420.042-63%-63%
Seattle, WA0.5150.5160.1330.134-74%-74%
Redwood City, CA0.3240.3270.0410.045-86%-86%
Ashburn, VA0.1880.1890.0220.022-88%-88%
Hong Kong0.9440.9440.0480.048-95%-95%

As expected, the most improvement was from users in the US and Asia (Hong Kong), since the original web server resides in Ireland.

I want to thank all the members of The Unix and Linux Forums who took the time to run the tests and for Dennis of Amazon for helping compile the results.

Congratulations Amazon Web Services and CloudFront!!

Note: Our test results suggest that static web content hosted on Amazon's CDN can certainly help global user response time downloading (small) objects. This is what you would expect from a CDN.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Printer Error(the Object Instance Test Does Not Exist)

Hello, i need some help about how to set up a high velocity impact printer in UNIX SCO 5.05, this printer is attached with a parallel port in a PC(host), the host use tunemul to access unix.(this reference is just to ask you if this is a local or remote connection, just to be sure), so, i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jav_v
2 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

CEP as a Service (CEPaaS) with MapReduce on Amazon EC2 and Amazon S3

Tim Bass 11-25-2008 01:02 PM Just as I was starting to worry that complex event processing community has been captured by RDBMS pirates off the coast of Somalia, I rediscovered a new core blackboard architecture component, Hadoop. Hadoop is a framework for building applications on large... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - traverse sub directories and get test case results

Hello, I need help in creating a PERL script for parsing test result files to get the results (pass or fail). Each test case execution generates a directory with few files among which we are interested in .result file. Lets say Testing is home directory. If i executed 2 test cases. It will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.videla
4 Replies
MojoMojo::Formatter::Amazon(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  MojoMojo::Formatter::Amazon(3pm)

module_loaded
       Return true if the module is loaded.

NAME
MojoMojo::Formatter::Amazon - Include Amazon objects on your page. DESCRIPTION
This is an url formatter. it takes urls containing amazon and /-/ or /ASIN/ and make a pretty formatted link to that object in the amazon web store. It automatically handles books/movies/dvds and formats them as apropriate. You can also pass 'small' as a parameter after the url, and it will make a thumb link instead of a blurb. METHODS
format_content_order Format order can be 1-99. The Amazon formatter runs on 5. format_content calls the formatter. Takes a ref to the content as well as the context object. get <asin> Connects to amazon and retrieves a Net::Amazon object based on the supplied ASIN number. small <property> Renders a small version of the formatter. blurb <property> renders a full width blurb of the product, suitable for reviews and such. DVD <property> Product information suitable for DVD movies. Book <property> Product information suitable for books. Music <property> Product information suitable for music CDs. SEE ALSO
MojoMojo, Module::Pluggable::Ordered, Net::Amazon. AUTHORS
Marcus Ramberg <mramberg@cpan.org LICENSE
This library is free software. You can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-02-12 MojoMojo::Formatter::Amazon(3pm)