Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to generate sample records from a file Post 302324664 by Nishithinfy on Thursday 11th of June 2009 10:34:45 AM
Old 06-11-2009
How to generate sample records from a file

i have a file having 30 million records.i want to generate a file having say 5% of total records in another file. the records in the new file shud be randomly generated.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

HPVM log file location and a sample

1. Can somebody tell me the log file location of HPVM where all the events of guest OS are reported ? 2. And if possible a log file with important events in it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thegeek
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a larger .xml file from a template(sample file)

Dear All, I have a template xml file like below. ....Some---Header....... <SignalPreference> ... <SignalName>STRING</SignalName> ... </SignalPreference> ......Some formatting text....... <SignalPreference> ......... ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random selection of subset of sample from file

Hello Could you please help me to find a code that can randomly select 1224 lines from a file of 12240 and make tn output with 1224 line each. my input is txt file with 12240 lines like : 13474 999003507 0 0 2 -9 13475 999003508 0 0 2 -9 13476 999003509 0 0 1 -9 13477 999003510 0 0 1 -9 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: biopsy
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that processes a sample of a file

hi all, I need some help in regards of how to process just a sample from a large .txt file I have a large file from many new lines (say above 200.000 new lines), I need a script that process just a sample of it, say 10.000 bur a random sample (taking rows from top top to the the bottom) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_lady
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get older than last 7days records using awk scripting to generate report and send email

Hello All, I have need as below: 1--> I need to get all users(who submit jobs) and their details by using below command: qstat -u \* output of the above command looks line below: job-ID prior name user-id state "submit/start at" queue jclass slots ja-task-ID... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VasuKukkapalli
5 Replies
runacct(1M)															       runacct(1M)

NAME
runacct - run daily accounting SYNOPSIS
[mmdd[state]] DESCRIPTION
runacct is the main daily accounting shell procedure. It is normally initiated via cron(1M). runacct processes connect, fee, disk, and process accounting files. It also prepares summary files for prdaily or billing purposes. runacct takes care not to damage active accounting files or summary files in the event of errors. It records its progress by writing descriptive diagnostic messages into When an error is detected, a message is written to mail (see mail(1), mailx(1), or elm(1)) is sent to and and runacct terminates. runacct uses a series of lock files to protect against re-invocation. The files and are used to prevent simultaneous invocation, and is used to prevent more than one invocation per day. runacct breaks its processing into separate, restartable states using to remember the last state completed. It accomplishes this by writ- ing the state name into runacct then looks in to see what it has done and to determine what to process next. states are executed in the following order: Move active accounting files into working files. Verify integrity of file, correcting date changes if necessary. Produce connect session records in format. Convert process accounting records into format. Merge the connect and process accounting records. Convert output of chargefee into format and merge with connect and process accounting records. Merge disk accounting records with connect, process, and fee accounting records. Merge the daily total accounting records in with the summary total accounting records in Produce command summaries. Any installation-dependent accounting programs can be included here. Cleanup temporary files and exit. To restart runacct after a failure, first check the file for diagnostics, then fix up any corrupted data files such as or The files and file must be removed before runacct can be restarted. The argument mmdd is necessary if runacct is being restarted, and specifies the month and day for which runacct will rerun the accounting. Entry point for processing is based on the contents of to override this, include the desired state on the command line to designate where processing should begin. EXAMPLES
To start runacct. To restart runacct. To restart runacct at a specific state. WARNINGS
Normally it is not a good idea to restart runacct in its state. Run manually, then restart via: If runacct failed in its state, remove the last file because it will not be complete. FILES
SEE ALSO
mail(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctcom(1M), acctcon(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), cron(1M), fwtmp(1M), acct(2), acct(4), utmp(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
runacct(1M)