Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Take action if a particular file appears in a directory Post 302324101 by mrudula009 on Wednesday 10th of June 2009 01:58:04 AM
Old 06-10-2009
Take action if a particular file appears in a directory

This is my task - pls help

Write a script that will run every 5 min and check if a particular file has appeared in a particular directory. Once it appears then rename the file and move it a bkp directory and run another script.

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 06-10-2009 at 04:49 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 different file version and prompt for action

Hi, I need some assistance with comparing 2 diff application. The format of the first file is in TAR "filename.1.2.3.tar" . The second file is a running application for which i need to find the version and then prompt the user for action as below :- Once compared, It needs to prompt the user,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemali
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clean file in single action

What one finds challenging another finds simple... (HPUX B.11.11) I have a text file named something like 12345.dst that could look like this: DOG CAT NONE TEST CAT What I want to end up with is 12345.dst looking like this: CAT DOG TEST removing "NONE" should it be there and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djp
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform action file name written to the pipe

Hello, I have a script that monitors files uploaded via ftp. After a successful upload, the file name is written to the pipe. There is another program that reads this pipe and allows automatically run any program or script ( say test.sh ) to process the newly uploaded file. cat test.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing a file until a certain message appears

Hello, I'm writing a script that will automate the launch of some services on my AIX machine. However, some services are dependent on the successful startup of others. When I start these services manually, I usually just check a log file until I see a message that confirms a successful... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallak7
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening file and executing an action

I want the script to read the directory I am running the script from and print the contents of any file that has GX in it's title. This is the code needed. But how do I combine it? #!/usr/bin/perl opendir(CURRENT,"."); @list = readdir(CURRENT); closedir(CURRENT); foreach $item (@list){... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DemonixX
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take action only if a file is X hours (or seconds) old

shell: #!/bin/ash I searched and found a few relevant posts (here and here - both by porter, on the same day (?)) however both are just a do while loop, I need to check a file date and compare it to the current time. I would like it to say if file 'test' is more than 12 hours old than "right... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phdeez
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a word in a file that appears next to a given keyword

Hi Experts, I have a file which contains some text. i need to print the word next to a given keyword. Please help. Ex: test.txt ===================== NEXT HOST ===================== AEADBAS001 access-list 1 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ip access-list extended BLA_Outgoing_Filter... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell program to check if the same text appears twice in an XML file

Hi All, I am very new to this forum and beginner to shell scripting. I need a shell script to: Search for a text in XML file à if the same text appears twice in an XML file à output file name Script should loop thru every xml file of a given folder. Please help me writing this script. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amardeep001
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read all lines after a string appears in the file.

Hi All, I want to read all lines after a perticular string {SET UP VALUES}apprears in the file. SET UP values contains direcory, number of days and file type. Step1: Read all lines below SET UP VALUES string. Step2: If set up values are not present in each record then read from default... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare file name and take action

Have some files in /tmp/dir abc.zip 123.zip 345.zip and if name matches to 345.zip then take action My code.... am i doing something wrong ? Please advise. #!/bin/bash set -x cd /tmp/dir for i in *.* do if ] then (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhaydas
4 Replies
rc3(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    rc3(8)

NAME
rc3 - Run command script executed when entering a multiuser run level SYNOPSIS
rc3 DESCRIPTION
The rc3 script contains run commands that enable initialization of the system to a multiuser state; run level 3. In addition to commands listed within the script itself, rc3 contains instructions to run certain commands found in the /sbin/rc3.d directory. The script defines the conditions under which the commands execute; some commands run if the system is booting, other commands execute if the system is chang- ing run levels. By convention, files in the rc3.d directory begin with either the letter "S" or the letter "K" and are followed by a two-digit number and a filename; for example: S00inet S55inetd S70mount S65lpd In general, the system starts commands that begin with the letter "S" and stops commands that begin with the letter "K." Commands that begin with the letter "K" run only when the system is changing run levels from a higher to a lower level. Commands that begin with the letter "S" run in all cases. The numbering of commands in the /sbin/rc3.d directory is important since the numbers are sorted and the com- mands are run in ascending order. Files in the /sbin/rc3.d directory are normally links to files in the /etc/init.d directory. An entry in the inittab file causes the system to execute the rc3 run commands, for example: s3:3:wait:/sbin/rc3 < /dev/console > /dev/con- sole 2>&1 The following operations are typical of those that result from executing the rc3 script and the commands located in the /sbin/rc3.d direc- tory. The operation depends on which state the system is entering or exiting. Setting the time zone Checking the current run level Start- ing network services and daemons Starting (or stopping) system services and daemons Mounting file systems Setting the TIMEZONE variable is one of the first operations completed by the rc3 script. This action provides the default time zone for subsequent commands. FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the directory of commands that correspond to the run level RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: init(8), rc0(8), rc2(8) delim off rc3(8)