Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract directory from a file path Post 302324095 by panyam on Wednesday 10th of June 2009 01:40:51 AM
Old 06-10-2009
Code:
dirname "/home/one/two/three/myfile.txt"

Code:
echo "/home/one/two/three/myfile.txt" | sed 's|\(.*\)/.*|\1|'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract only file name from full path file name

What is the smartest way to just extract file name from a full path name. e.g. if I have /usr/sanjay/bin/file_name.c I want only file_name.c Sanjay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract The File Path using SED

hi, I have a file path like usr/scripts/pass/bin and usr/scripts/pass/line I want to extract first three characters using sed Like for path usr/scripts/pass/bin i want to extract usr/scripts/pass and for path usr/scripts/pass/line i want to extract usr/scripts/pass (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diggi
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with path extract from file

hello, i have a configuration file app.conf under /tmp, containing values like : param1=/data/something param2=/data/somethingelse i have a bash script that has to list the files under the path that corresponds to param2 : #!/bin/bash dir=$(cat tmp/app.conf | grep param2 | sed ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaa
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A file or directory in the path does not exist

I'm brand new to AIX and I looked up how to print this file and it was working but now I'm not able to do it all of a sudden. the file name is rom1.txt so this is what i wrote in the command line and I know I'm in the right directory. In bold is what I seem to be messing up with. prod @ root... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dark0Prince
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract directory path from a parameter

i was attempting to extract a directory path that was passed from a parameter with this code vdir=`dirname $p1` echo current directory $vdir it does not work when the parameter passed has wild card on it. for example $ sh sample1.sh "/sbin/log/c*.log" dirname: extra operand... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3perl)			 Perl Programmers Reference Guide		       CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3perl)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract - internals for archive extraction SYNOPSIS
### for source files ### $self->_gunzip( file => 'foo.gz', output => 'blah.txt' ); ### for modules/packages ### $dir = $self->_extract( module => $modobj, extractdir => '/some/where' ); DESCRIPTION
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract extracts compressed files for CPANPLUS. It can do this by either a pure perl solution (preferred) with the use of "Archive::Tar" and "Compress::Zlib", or with binaries, like "gzip" and "tar". The flow looks like this: $cb->_extract Delegate to Archive::Extract METHODS
$dir = _extract( module => $modobj, [perl => '/path/to/perl', extractdir => '/path/to/extract/to', prefer_bin => BOOL, verbose => BOOL, force => BOOL] ) "_extract" will take a module object and extract it to "extractdir" if provided, or the default location which is obtained from your config. The file name is obtained by looking at "$modobj->status->fetch" and will be parsed to see if it's a tar or zip archive. If it's a zip archive, "__unzip" will be called, otherwise "__untar" will be called. In the unlikely event the file is of neither format, an error will be thrown. "_extract" takes the following options: module A "CPANPLUS::Module" object. This is required. extractdir The directory to extract the archive to. By default this looks something like: /CPANPLUS_BASE/PERL_VERSION/BUILD/MODULE_NAME prefer_bin A flag indicating whether you prefer a pure perl solution, ie "Archive::Tar" or "Archive::Zip" respectively, or a binary solution like "unzip" and "tar". perl The path to the perl executable to use for any perl calls. Also used to determine the build version directory for extraction. verbose Specifies whether to be verbose or not. Defaults to your corresponding config entry. force Specifies whether to force the extraction or not. Defaults to your corresponding config entry. All other options are passed on verbatim to "__unzip" or "__untar". Returns the directory the file was extracted to on success and false on failure. perl v5.14.2 2014-09-29 CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3perl)