Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed to remove 1st two characters every line of text file Post 302323827 by jojo123 on Tuesday 9th of June 2009 05:03:40 AM
Old 06-09-2009
Error

Hi all,

I've been through this post and found great.

I really like the logic of mr.cfajohnson.

I have a Query regarding this post with Mr.cfajohnson

Please help me in understanding this.

as you mentioned two commands

one for the case where you are removing the first two digits

Code:
sed 's/^..//' file1.txt > file2.txt

and secondly

Code:
sed -e 's/^..//' -e 's/..$//' file1.txt > file2.txt

to remove the last two lines

Now my query is,that while using the sed command, the [two dots] means removing two digits for either of the command. Please confirm

Also if I want to remove the first three digits would it be like

sed 's/^...//' file1.txt > file2.txt

Please Confirm.

Also as i am new to "sed" Plese do guide regarding

sed 's ===============> what does ('s) means here

Similarly,

sed -e ==============> what does (-e) means here.

Thanks in advance.

Replies from anyone is welcome.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line

hello experts, I need a sed command that remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line. any suggestions? Thanks you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove last 2 characters of txt file

sed 's/^..//' file1.txt > file2.txt this will remove the first two characters of each line of a text file, what sed command will remove the last two characters? This is a similar post to my other....sry if I'm being lazy.... I need a file like this (same as last post) >cat file1.txt 10081551... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special characters from text file

Hi All, i am trying to remove all special charecters().,/\~!@#%^$*&^_- and others from a tab delimited file. I am using the following code. while read LINE do echo $LINE | tr -d '=;:`"<>,./?!@#$%^&(){}'|tr -d "-"|tr -d "'" | tr -d "_" done < trial.txt > output.txt Problem ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkb
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sed - add text to start of line if 1st char anything but space

Problem: I have a lot of files, the files first line should always have 4 spaces before any text. Occasionally some of the files will miss the leading spaces and it's a problem. This is only in the first line. So if there are 4 spaces then text, do nothing. If there are not 4 spaces, add 4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Remove new line characters from a file

I tried using below command tr -cd "" < InputFile.xml > output.txt ============= This removes all the tabs/newline/extra spaces from a file it successfully removed all the extra spaces,tabs and new line characters but then the complete file become one record. I want to retain one new line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saini
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all junk characters from a text file

I am using flatfile, in that flat file we are getting the junk chars 1)I21001f<82>^Me<85>!h49 Service Charge 2) I21001f‚ e...!h49 Service Charge please tell me how to remove all junk chars in unix scripts. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Talari
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove partial text in one line only

I have test.xml XML file like <Report account="123456" start_time="2014-09-08T00:00:00+00:00" end_time="2014-09-10T23:59:59+00:00" user="Dollar Tree" limit="1000000" more_sessions="some text "> <Session ......rest of xml............... I need output like <Report> <Session ......rest of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumars1331@gmai
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to remove 1st and last two characters of each line of the file

I want to remove 1st and last two characters of each line of the file Ex: file1 zzfile1ee @xfile2:y qfile3>> @ file4yy and redirect to the file called new Basically file will have any charcter including space, spical character... Please help.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell1509
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove text from file

Trying to use sed to, in-place, remove specific text from a file. Since there are / in the text I use | to escape that character. Thank you :). sed -i -e 's|xxxx://www.xxx.com/xx/xx/xxx/.*/|' /home/cmccabe/list sed: -e expression #1, char 51: unterminated `s' command (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove new line characters from data rows in a Pipe delimited file?

I have a file as below Emp1|FirstName|MiddleName|LastName|Address|Pincode|PhoneNumber 1234|FirstName1|MiddleName2|LastName3| Add1 || ADD2|123|000000000 2345|FirstName2|MiddleName3|LastName4| Add1 || ADD2| 234|000000000 OUTPUT : ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: styris
1 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters (runes). Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by dupli- cating its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c Complement string1: replace it with a lexicographically ordered list of all other characters. -d Delete from input all characters in string1. -s Squeeze repeated output characters that occur in string2 to single characters. In either string a noninitial sequence -x, where x is any character (possibly quoted), stands for a range of characters: a possibly empty sequence of codes running from the successor of the previous code up through the code for x. The character followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. The character sequence followed by 1, 2, 3, or 4 hexadecimal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. A followed by any other character stands for that character. EXAMPLES
Replace all upper-case ASCII letters by lower-case. tr A-Z a-z <mixed >lower Create a list of all the words in one per line in where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. String2 is given as a quoted newline. tr -cs A-Za-z ' ' <file1 >file2 SOURCE
/src/cmd/tr.c SEE ALSO
sed(1) TR(1)