Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Perl split special character $ Post 302323774 by ghostdog74 on Tuesday 9th of June 2009 12:49:16 AM
Old 06-09-2009
here's another way.. you don't split on $ but split normally on spaces. then go through each element and check for dollar sign. add them to get total
Code:
$test="This is a test \$6.56 \$5.7";
@a=split /\s+/,$test;
$total=0;
foreach my $item (@a){
 if ( $item =~ /\$/){
  $item=~s/\$//;
  $total=$total+$item;
 }
}
print $total;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perl split funciton - special character "/"

HI, I have a directory structure. /abc/def/ghi/ I want to store it into array. So that if I do a pop function on that array I can easily go to previous directory. But how can i split and store it. @Directory = split(/\//,$DirectoryVarialbe) That doest works. Any other escape sequence... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Syntax to Extract Everything After Special Character

Hi, I am writing a Perl script that reads in many lines, if a line meets the criteria I want to edit, it. For example, the script will return the following example line... test=abc123 All I want to do is strip off the "test=" and just be left with the abc123. In my script I can easily... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrichard
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Escaping special character stored in variables : perl

Hi just for regular use i m working on small module written in perl for getting date in specified format like i have to specify date format and then seperator to seperate date i am 95% done. now i m sure explanation i gave is not good enough so i am putting output here : C:\Documents and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl use split and remove specific character

i want to split the input by a space and remove specific characters like full stop, comma...... etc. and then save each word in an array. i got something below, but it didn't work. can anyone please help me? Thank you #!/usr/bin/perl -w while (<>) { $line = <>; @word = split(' ',... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingming88
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching on any special character in Unix

Hi, I have field in a file which would come with any special character, how do i check that field? Eg: @123TYtaasa>>>/ 131dfetr_~2 In the above example, how do I add pattern for any special character on the keyboard. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleteing one character after an special character

I have below line in a unix file, I want to delete one character after "Â". 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap Â~V Hybrids The result should be : 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap  Hybrids i dont want to use "~V" anywhere in the sed command or any other command, just remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a special char

Hello, I have some data in output file.In that i need to split the special char "(" and ")" and store it. This is example of o/p file. (OHC12345) (OHC12415) (OHC12765) (OHC12545) I need like OHC12345 OHC12415 OHC12765 OHC12545 --Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rasingraj
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character Find and replace in Unix or Perl

Hi, I am stuck with an problem and want some help, what i want to do is There is a directory name temp which include file named t1.txt, t2,txt, t3.txt and so on. These files contains data, but there are some bad character also that is % present in the files , I want to write the script... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oneliner ---split string to character by piping shell output to perl

Hello, I was trying to split a string to characters by perl oneliner. echo "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" | perl -e 'split // ' But did not work as with bash script pipe: echo "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" | fold -w1 | sort | uniq -ic 8 1 T 1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split string separated by special character

Hello I have string (string can have more sections) LINE="AA;BB;CC;DD;EE"I would like to assigne each part of string separated by ";" to some new variable. Can someone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
4 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringySUser(Contributed Perl DocumPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringySplit(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringySplit - Write "split /-/, $string" instead of "split '-', $string". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
The "split" function always interprets the PATTERN argument as a regular expression, even if you specify it as a string. This causes much confusion if the string contains regex metacharacters. So for clarity, always express the PATTERN argument as a regex. $string = 'Fred|Barney'; @names = split '|', $string; #not ok, is ('F', 'r', 'e', 'd', '|', 'B', 'a' ...) @names = split m/[|]/, $string; #ok, is ('Fred', Barney') When the PATTERN is a single space the "split" function has special behavior, so Perl::Critic forgives that usage. See "perldoc -f split" for more information. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::ControlStrucutres::RequireBlockGrep Perl::Critic::Policy::ControlStrucutres::RequireBlockMap AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringySplit(3)