Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to add 'n' of tab char?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to add 'n' of tab char? Post 302323558 by durden_tyler on Monday 8th of June 2009 09:07:23 AM
Old 06-08-2009
Code:
$
$ cat data.txt
asdfdf456
dfgdf4564
$
$ # add 4 tabs in front of each line
$ perl -ne 'print "\t" x 4,$_' data.txt
                                asdfdf456
                                dfgdf4564
$
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Add Tab

How to added a TAB at end of each line of a file using ksh vi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab char appearing as single space?

I'm trying to run a script which will ssh to several other servers (All Solaris 10) and execute a sar -f command to get each server's CPU usage for a given hour. It kinda works OK but I just can't figure out how to separate the returned fields with a Tab character. I've done lots of searching... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake657
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat a field and add a char

I tried to readout the forth word of a file and add a ',' after each occurance and write the result in a file, but following code doesn't work cat output.csv | cut -d ';' -f4 || ', '>> NR.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
2 Replies

4. Programming

error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’

Compiling xpp (The X Printing Panel) on SL6 (RHEL6 essentially): xpp.cxx: In constructor ‘printFiles::printFiles(int, char**, int&)’: xpp.cxx:200: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’ The same error with all c++ constructors - gcc 4.4.4. If anyone can throw any light on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
8 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

add char o end of line if dosent exist

hey , i want to check if the char "#" exist at the end of every line of txt file and if it dosent then add it for example: the cat jumped on my mom # cars can run on water# i cant get a date blue yellow# will be: the cat went back home# cars can run on water# i cant get a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boaz733
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add char before certain line

I'm trying to add a '1' before a line that has the word "C_ID" s/.*C_ID.*/&\n1/ The above code did what I need, but the '1' is added after the C_ID word :( Help please. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add new line after ' char

Hello experts, I need to convert one file into readable format. Input file is like following line. STG,12345,000,999,' PQR, 2345,000,999,' XYZ,7890,000,999, Output should be following (After ' char new line char should be added.) STG,12345,000,999,' PQR, 2345,000,999,' ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetmedude
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a new sheet or a new tab in a csv file?

Hi All, I woulk like thanks to all of you for your instant support. I am again in a trouble so move to here for solution. I want to add a new sheet or a new tab in a csv file means a singly csv file having two or more sheets. Please help me any help towards this should highly be appreciated. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashish Singhal
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add tab to output of both conditions

In the below awk written by @RavinderSingh13 I have added a few lines and am trying to have the output be tab-delimited. The input is space-delimeted and the portion in bold seems to add a tab to the Not found but not the found. Thank you :). file1 One 1 Two 2 Three 3 file2 One 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to add a numeric & special char to end of the first line

Need to add a numeric & special char to end of the first line Existing file: 12-11-16|11 2016 Jan 12:34:55|03:55| 13-10-16|10 2016 Jan 12:34:55|03:55|12-11-16|11 2016 Jan 12:34:55|03:55| 14-10-16|19 2016 Jan 12:34:55|03:55|13-11-16|11 2016 Jan 12:34:55|04:55| 15-10-16|18 2016 Jan... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joselouis
11 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)