Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Piping to /dev/rmt0 tape ?
Operating Systems AIX Piping to /dev/rmt0 tape ? Post 302323537 by Browser_ice on Monday 8th of June 2009 08:00:42 AM
Old 06-08-2009
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaneshCPUX
I started that thread.

Quote:
Last thought: AIX dd supports spanning across several media since AIX 5L (span=yes) came to market in 2000 or 2001 ....
==> My client has AIX 4.2 !

Quote:
Why should you? Again we are talking Unix here. Use sth. like
# tar ... | dd of=/dev/rmt0 obs=20
It would be just a matter of combination to write directly onto a tape.
You might find the following information useful:
AIX Backup tar CPIO Restore
That does not use compression.

What I am trying to achieve is backing up to tape any folders containing backup files, using compression, not using the current folder as temporary storage (no space for it). All this on an AIX 4.2 who's TAR does not have any compression on it and where I only have 'compress' as compression tool (althougth I said we had gzip, it is not on all our server and I am almost on a deadlock situation when talking to my team lead about copying it to all our servers because he says the license is only on one server !!!)

We have 10 backup disk folders (totalling anywhere between 60-90Gb) on 5 servers (2 DB per servers), each with one single tape drive. The current procedure to do this takes almost 12 hours to do !!!!!!!!! I want to reduce them all to less then 8 hours by using compression (just compression a 1.9Gb file on disk takes 25 min !).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

error piping nohup to /dev/null

Hi, I have a script as follows: #!/bin/sh nohup ./my_program >& /dev/null & However, i get a "Generated or received a file descriptor number that is not valid" whenever I run it. running the command up in prompt is ok though. if i change the first line to #!/bin/csh i get a then:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mochi
4 Replies

2. AIX

mt -f /dev/rmt0.1 status

Hello all, Anyboby knows what is the reason by which the ouput of the command mt -f /dev/rmt0.1 status on AIX does not show the same information that in the rest of platforms UNIX (Solaris, HP-UX, ...)? Then, what command of AIX is similar to mt- f /dev/rmt0.1 status of Solaris? We need it to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smoraprosol
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mt command shows /dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device

Hello guys, on my Red Hat machine the /bin/mt status command gives the output dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device. This messages comes up after the Server has been rebooted. Anybody an idea? Thx masterofdesaster (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterofdesaste
8 Replies

4. AIX

aix 4.2 : using dd of=/dev/rmt0 producing error

I want to compress backup files to tape using compress on our AIX 4.2 - Our TAR does not have compression. - I do not want to use local storage to compress as most of the filesystems are pretty full. - the only compressing tool we have is 'compress' - tapes are 5Gb 8mm I am trying this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
10 Replies

5. AIX

/dev/rmt0 pointed to from an NFS of another server ?

I only about the principle of filesystems from the very basics on Linux and Windows. But I want to know if it is possible on an AIX 4.2 to create one NFS on a server which is pointing to a tape drive (/dev/rmt0) of another server ? This is because we several backups to do on a 5 servers that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
5 Replies

6. SuSE

Tape Loader Device /dev/sgN is altering after each reboot

Dear all, we are running SLES 11 where an iscsi tape library is attached. To load the tape in a slot we are using for instance the command #mtx -f /dev/sg1 load 2 which is doing very well. But after a server's reboot the device name of the loader is now /dev/sg4 or /dev/sg5 I mean it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xunil321
1 Replies

7. Solaris

/dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional

I have an HP Proliant DL380 with Intel Processors that I recently loaded Solaris 10 with latest patches on it. I'm trying to do a ufsdump to an HP DAT 40 tape drive via SCSI, but I can't get it to do anything because /dev/rmt is empty. I've tried the following with luck: touch /reconfigure,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvaughn
7 Replies

8. SCO

Tape Drive (/dev/rct0) donot work sometimes

Hi all, I am facing problem with my Tape drive (hp) (/dev/rct0) on SCO Unix version 6.0.0. Sometimes tar works fine but some times it doesnot work and I have to restart the server to get it work. One reboot/shutdown is OK. to solve the problem. Error is "cannot open ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dextergenious
9 Replies

9. AIX

"Please mount volume 2 on /dev/rmt0.1" message during mksysb restore

Dear all First of all, my English not so good. We have p52a (production server) and p52a (test server). Tape drives are VXA2. When both servers were AIX 5.3, mksysb on production server and restoring to test server was OK. The production server was AIX 5.3 and recently upgraded to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fifa15pc
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
HT(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     HT(4)

NAME
ht - RH-11/TU-16 magtape interface DESCRIPTION
The files mt0, mt1, ... refer to the DEC RH/TM/TU16 magtape. When opened for reading or writing, the tape is not rewound. When closed, it is rewound (unless the 0200 bit is on, see below). If the tape was open for writing, a double end-of-file is written. If the tape is not to be rewound the tape is backspaced to just between the two tapemarks. A standard tape consists of a series of 512 byte records terminated by a double end-of-file. To the extent possible, the system makes it possible, if inefficient, to treat the tape like any other file. Seeks have their usual meaning and it is possible to read or write a byte at a time. Writing in very small units is inadvisable, however, because it tends to create monstrous record gaps. The last octal digit of the minor device number selects the drive. The middle digit selects a controller. The initial digit is even to select 800 BPI, odd to select 1600 BPI. If the 0200 bit is on (initial digit 2 or 3), the tape is not rewound on close. Note that the minor device number has no necessary connection with the file name, and in fact tp(1) turns the short name x into `/dev/mtx'. The mt files discussed above are useful when it is desired to access the tape in a way compatible with ordinary files. When foreign tapes are to be dealt with, and especially when long records are to be read or written, the `raw' interface is appropriate. The associated files may be named rmt0, ..., rmt7, but the same minor-device considerations as for the regular files still apply. Each read or write call reads or writes the next record on the tape. In the write case the record has the same length as the buffer given. During a read, the record size is passed back as the number of bytes read, provided it is no greater than the buffer size; if the record is long, an error is indicated. In raw tape I/O, the buffer must begin on a word boundary and the count must be even. Seeks are ignored. A zero count is returned when a tape mark is read; another read will fetch the first record of the next tape file. FILES
/dev/mt?, /dev/rmt? SEE ALSO
tp(1) BUGS
The magtape system is supposed to be able to take 64 drives. Such addressing has never been tried. Taking a drive off line, or running off the end of tape, while writing have been known to hang the system. If any non-data error is encountered, it refuses to do anything more until closed. In raw I/O, there should be a way to perform forward and backward record and file spacing and to write an EOF mark explicitly. HT(4)