Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl newbie questions!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl newbie questions! Post 302323421 by byte1918 on Sunday 7th of June 2009 04:24:12 PM
Old 06-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinADC
Code:
#!C:\Perl64\bin\perl.exe -w
print "Content-Type: Text/plain\n\n";#<-- this is not necessary unless running as a CGI script

@horse = ("mdamdamad" , "asdasda" ,"asdasd" ,"a");

getindex ("asd",@horse);

sub getindex {
   ($string,@a) = @_;
   print $string."\n";
   foreach $key (@a){
      print $key."\n";
   }
}

You're going to want to learn how to use references in perl really quickly insterad of trying to pass mixed data types like int he code above. An example:

Code:
#!C:\Perl64\bin\perl.exe -w
print "Content-Type: Text/plain\n\n";

@horse = ("mdamdamad" , "asdasda" ,"asdasd" ,"a");

getindex ("asd",\@horse);

sub getindex {
   my ($string,$array_ref) = @_;
   print $string."\n";
   foreach $key (@{$array_ref}){
      print $key."\n";
   }
}

The first three tutorials on this page discuss references:

Tutorials - perldoc.perl.org

Also:

you will want to use "warnings" and "strict" pragmas and start declaring your variables properly when writing perl code.

Code:
#!C:\Perl64\bin\perl.exe
use warnings;
use strict;
print "Content-Type: Text/plain\n\n";

my @horse = ("mdamdamad" , "asdasda" ,"asdasd" ,"a");

getindex ("asd",\@horse);

sub getindex {
   my ($string, $array_ref) = @_;
   print $string."\n";
   foreach $key (@{$array_ref}){
      print $key."\n";
   }
}

Also, don't use $a and $b as private variables in your perl scripts. Perl uses them for sorting data.

The http header was also wrong, you had: Text-plain should be: Text/plain
thanks alot KevinADC your response was very helpful! Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A few newbie questions

Hi :) I just wanted to ask a few basic questions really. I'm telnetting to a remote host and I've finally found out that I'm using a csh shell. My questions are: 1. Is the somename@something, the user group logged in? 2. How do I change user? I'm really lost so I hope someone can help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellz
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

buncha questions from a newbie

Even though I have been logging in to a UNIX shell at school to complete school projects and write programs, but I had never really worked in UNIX environment. But a couple of weeks back I got hooked on to Solaris 9OE, read a book, a tutorial, a document provided on the Sun Microsystems website,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: init-5
1 Replies

3. Linux

newbie questions on ntp and routes

RH 7.2 I have 2 unrelated questions - 1.) I have been able to configure and run ntp but cannot figure out how to start the service upon reboot. I have read the man pages for ntsysv - this is a manual action, but I want to drop a tarball of config files on a new installation and cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jalburger
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Questions

I am relatively new to both KSH and Unix scripting, and I would like some help getting my script up and running. I would like to have the script attempt various commands (tar, copy, gzip etc) and then write the results (error msg or success msg) to a temp file. I would then like an email sent to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
2 Replies

5. Linux

Questions of a newbie

I have been an apple customer for years now, and am not satisfied with the direction that they are going. So I just ordered my first PC notebook the other day. I have no desire to use windows, however with microsoft's hold on the market, I feel that I may have a hard time doing this. I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brycemb16
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix questions for newbie

Hi Unix gurus, I know these are some easy questions. But i just want to be sure about them. Hope someone can help explain the following please? 1) if ] - What does the "-r" means? 2) isql -U $DBUSER -D $DBNAME -S $DSQUERY -w 1000 -s";" << testfile > $FILE - What does the -s";" mean and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gholdbhurg
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LISP newbie's questions

Hello, I want to learn LISP, and I have a GNU/Linux OS. I first sought a LISP compiler/interpreter and was told that GNU Emacs has a LISP mode. But I couldn't get into LISP mode, nor I don't know how to use it when I get into LISP mode. How can I run LISP code under GNU Emacs? And if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rayne
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Newbie questions...

Hello everyone, I am brand spanking new to both Solaris and Unix. I thought I would give it a go after buying a SB2500 off ebay for a few hundred dollars. I am having some issues that I am not sure how to correct, and I am wondering if I can get a few pointers? The first one is that my system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
2 Replies

9. AIX

Newbie Questions for AIX !!!

Hi Guys, I am new in this forum and new with AIX however not new with Power System. I have worked with iSeries for many years. Now supporting AIX on Power. Here are some basic questions I have. 1. I am using Putty to connect from my PC to the AIX boxes. Is there any other (better) program to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
6 Replies
Pod::Simple::Text(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Pod::Simple::Text(3pm)

NAME
Pod::Simple::Text -- format Pod as plaintext SYNOPSIS
perl -MPod::Simple::Text -e "exit Pod::Simple::Text->filter(shift)->any_errata_seen" thingy.pod DESCRIPTION
This class is a formatter that takes Pod and renders it as wrapped plaintext. Its wrapping is done by Text::Wrap, so you can change $Text::Wrap::columns as you like. This is a subclass of Pod::Simple and inherits all its methods. SEE ALSO
Pod::Simple, Pod::Simple::TextContent, Pod::Text SUPPORT
Questions or discussion about POD and Pod::Simple should be sent to the pod-people@perl.org mail list. Send an empty email to pod-people-subscribe@perl.org to subscribe. This module is managed in an open GitHub repository, http://github.com/theory/pod-simple/ <http://github.com/theory/pod-simple/>. Feel free to fork and contribute, or to clone git://github.com/theory/pod-simple.git <git://github.com/theory/pod-simple.git> and send patches! Patches against Pod::Simple are welcome. Please send bug reports to <bug-pod-simple@rt.cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT AND DISCLAIMERS
Copyright (c) 2002 Sean M. Burke. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. AUTHOR
Pod::Simple was created by Sean M. Burke <sburke@cpan.org>. But don't bother him, he's retired. Pod::Simple is maintained by: o Allison Randal "allison@perl.org" o Hans Dieter Pearcey "hdp@cpan.org" o David E. Wheeler "dwheeler@cpan.org" perl v5.14.2 2012-05-23 Pod::Simple::Text(3pm)