Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with useradd script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with useradd script Post 302323363 by chipmunken on Sunday 7th of June 2009 06:13:35 AM
Old 06-07-2009
Help with useradd script

Ok Im trying too make this shell script create users from my text file, I also want to type in a password for the new users. So thay can make a uniq one themself after first logon.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Sebastian schmidt
clear

echo    "*************************************************************"
echo    "Please choose from the following options; type the"
echo    "option number and hit the <Enter> key."
echo    ""
echo    "This script creates accounts for the people you have"
echo    "listed in the file 'users' and puts them in the group 'it'"
echo
echo    "  1) To Run this script"
echo    "  2) Exit"
echo
read option

id | grep root 2>/dev/null >/dev/null
if [ $? -eq 1 ]
then
clear
        echo "You need to be root before running this script."
        echo "Please restart this script as root and all will be fine."
exit
fi

if [ "$option" = "1" ]
then
## This is going to be future implementation of chosing password at creation
echo "Type password for the new users."
read pass
echo $pass

echo "Type in the path for the file (users)"
read users
        groupadd it 2>/dev/null >/dev/null
        for i in `sed 's/\(..\).*@\(..\).*/\1\2/' $users`
do
        useradd -g it -p $pass -s /bin/bash -m -d /home/it09$i it09$i 2>/dev/null >/dev/null
done

echo "Done!"

elif ["$option" = "2"]
then
        echo "exiting script"
exit
fi

This is how my text file looks like
Code:
sebastian@schmidt
sandra@fahlen
tomas@persson

This is what /etc/shadow looks like after running the script and what happens when I want to su to one of the new users.
I just dont understand why password is clear text in the shadow file.. As I think the problem lies there.
Code:
it09sesc:sebbe1:14402:0:99999:7:::
it09safa:sebbe1:14402:0:99999:7:::
it09tope:sebbe1:14402:0:99999:7:::

seb@webserver:/home$ su it09sesc
Password:
su: Authentication failure

Help wanted any hints on whats wrong here?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

useradd script

I have a txt file with many users and I need to add them and create random passwords. Does any one have a script in pearl possible? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

useradd -c in a script????

Here's my box info: ROOT@fcivra: uname -a SunOS fcivra 5.6 Generic_105181-26 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5 I am creating a script called adduser, that will incorporate the useradd command. Here is what it looks like: #!/bin/sh echo "Enter the person's VZID (lower case): \c" read VZID... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

useradd

Gurus, I need to add a user to all the machines. I need a script to do this. I did one but it does not allow me to su to root within a ssh session i open. It exists saying su: Sorry. Please let me know how i can do it. I do not have the freedom of using sudo either. Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

useradd?

Hi Experts, when using useradd command, what are the necessary options/arguments to be included? Please advice. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

trouble making a useradd script

i'm new to scripting in unix and am trying to make a script to add a user and an encrypted password for them. this is what i have and it isn't giving me any errors, but when i try to login with the new user, the password doesn't work. i'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patt4179
1 Replies

6. Solaris

useradd

if useradd command is deleted in solaris how do we add user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_ng
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need script for smbldap-useradd/setquota/ldapadd

Hello guys, I am trying to add users to samba/ldap system, set their quota, set them a common password and add auto_home records for the new users User list file is in below format Firstname Lastname Username Command I run to add user is smbldap-useradd -a -m -N $Firstname -S... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
0 Replies

8. Solaris

useradd

I want to creat a 27 logins in solaris.Can anyone tell me how to write a script for that so that i create at a time for all 27 people. Thanks to guide me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Useradd script

Trying to create a bash script that will read the /etc/passwd file for existing UID's before adding a new user and also does an incremental by allocating the next available UID.And also add the user to the correct group.Please help I am a newbie in scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tshepang
2 Replies
ROUND(3)								 1								  ROUND(3)

round - Rounds a float

SYNOPSIS
float round (float $val, [int $precision], [int $mode = PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the rounded value of $val to specified $precision (number of digits after the decimal point). $precision can also be negative or zero (default). Note PHP doesn't handle strings like "12,300.2" correctly by default. See converting from strings. PARAMETERS
o $val - The value to round o $precision - The optional number of decimal digits to round to. o $mode - Use one of the following constants to specify the mode in which rounding occurs. +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP | | | | | | | Round $val up to $precision decimal places away | | | from zero, when it is half way there. Making 1.5 | | | into 2 and -1.5 into -2. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN | | | | | | | Round $val down to $precision decimal places | | | towards zero, when it is half way there. Making | | | 1.5 into 1 and -1.5 into -1. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next even value. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next odd value. | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
The rounded value EXAMPLES
Example #1 round(3) examples <?php echo round(3.4); // 3 echo round(3.5); // 4 echo round(3.6); // 4 echo round(3.6, 0); // 4 echo round(1.95583, 2); // 1.96 echo round(1241757, -3); // 1242000 echo round(5.045, 2); // 5.05 echo round(5.055, 2); // 5.06 ?> Example #2 $mode examples <?php echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 9 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 ?> Example #3 $mode with precision examples <?php /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | The $mode parameter was introduced. | | | | | 5.2.7 | | | | | | | The inner workings of round(3) was changed to | | | conform to the C99 standard. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ceil(3), floor(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group ROUND(3)