Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .sh extension needed?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting .sh extension needed? Post 302323308 by cfajohnson on Saturday 6th of June 2009 12:40:48 PM
Old 06-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsomeone
$SHELL is /bin/bash
The file is executable.

But something weird is still happening.

If the file is names bashf I can run it with `bash bashf`.
If I try to run `bashf` then I get an error:
"bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'"
If I put the ".sh" extension back on, I can run it simply with `bashf.sh`.

Do you have another file called bashf lying around?

What is the output of:

Code:
type -a bashf bashf.sh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change extension?

How do you write a shell script that change the extension of all the files? e.g chext rtf doc where .rtf is the original extension and .doc is the new extension is it something to do with basename? do I need a for loop? Please help! Unix SuperNewbie (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkwan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i change extension

Hi I am writing a script which does an FTP of a set of files onto another machine and then would have to rename the files into a different extension on the source machine. for example if the file being sent via FTP is sample.txt. Once the file has been transferred i would want to modify the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswaraj
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append extension

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to append an extension (ie. .ldr) to all files in a directory that do NOT have an extension? The directory contains files with and without extensions, however I'm only interested in the files with NO extension. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

without extension

Hi, I need a help regarding a small requirement. I have a list of C files. I need to put them in a file but without .c extension. say if I have the files as file01.c, file02.c, file03.c etc My file say cfiles should have file01 file02 file03 ... ... etc Appreciate your quick help on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adurga
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extension problem please help

I am executing a program wp1s0000.sh_old and it is executing as expected irrespective of the extension "sh_old" how is this possible ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharmasdeepti
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Look for more then one extension.

I am currently scanning a directory with a shell script to look for all files with a .sh extension. I am wondering how to make it look for more then one extension. For example all .sh, .conf, and .sql files? Currently this is what I am doing.... find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying with a certain extension

trying to copy all the files without extension then add "*.txt" but its not working is there any other way and i do not want to use cpio -vdump just want to use copy command FROM=/usr/share/doc TO=/aleza/doc #the follow function copies all the files without extensions call(){ cd $FROM... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print this out without a extension?

i have a file abc.dat that has the below content abc.dat: - 123.dat now, i want to print/output only the below 123 from the file content.( see..i want to chop off .dat extension) kindly advise on this in ksh- i just want to the flag i should pass to the cat command - (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billpeter3010
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Length extension

Ok I have a PERL script that reads an .xml file. One of the new services listed in the file, is alot longer than the others. I am trying to get a way for the spaces of the Service module to read the .xml file and set the length of the %s to the longest Service my $jmsfn = "jms-connection.xml"; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigbenn
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display the .csv extension files based on .done extension fine

Hi All, I want to fetch the files based on .done file and display the .csv files and Wil take .csv files for processing. 1.I need to display the .done files from the directory. 2.next i need to search for the .Csv files based on .done file.then move .csv files for the one directory ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija.g6
2 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)