Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Am I abusing backticks?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Am I abusing backticks? Post 302323166 by Corona688 on Friday 5th of June 2009 03:11:21 PM
Old 06-05-2009
I might write:
Code:
stripscriptname=$(sed 's/\(.*\)\..*/\1/' <<< "$scriptname")
stripsearch=$(tr -d ' ,/' <<< "$searchpattern")

I think avoiding the echo cuts out one extra process, builtin or not.

Is the purpose of your sed search string to strip off any string beginning with dot from the end of the string? It might work faster(and more portably, since it needs no backreferences) to just match and delete the portion you don't want without matching the part you want to keep:
Code:
sed 's/\..*//'

Some shells, like bash 3 and newer, support built-in regular expressions without resort to sed.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - backticks v system in if statements

Can someone explain the difference between backticks and system when evaluated in these if statements: sub getDate { print "start date\n"; if ( system("/bin/date") ) { print "can't get date\n"; exit(2); } print "finish date\n"; } Returns the following: start date Thu... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjkeenan
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backticks within backticks?

Hi, I'm trying to do something like this: range= `expr `date '+%m'` - 1` and it does not work. How can I tell it to evaluate an expression within another expression evaluation? I was at first worried that `date '+%m'` would return a string but apparently expr does the math okay normally, so the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using xargs and backticks

Hey all. Just a fast question, what is the technical difference between using back ticks and using xargs to perform a command? Here's an example Find /mydir -name *.conf |xargs rm Vs Rm 'find /mydir -name *.conf' Is there a performance hit? I know they do the same thing but which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msarro
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

perl backticks: can't redirect output.

Hi everyone. This is a bit of a perl/linux mixed question. I am trying to redirect STDOUT of chsh by using the following line of perl code. system ("chsh -s /sbin/nologin $testing 1>/dev/null"); This should redirect STDOUT to /dev/null but it won't do that for some odd reason. Any ideas or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with remove backticks in a text file

Input file: 'data_1' 'data_10' 'data1311' '235data_13' Desired output: data_1 data_10 data1311 235data_13 Can I know how to remove back tick"'" in a file? Many thanks for advice. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH and Backticks [solved]

I have been testing a new script and cannot figure out why my `cat spath` will not execute on the remote machine? sudo ssh -p 22344 -o "PasswordAuthentication no" -o "HostbasedAuthentication yes" -l testuser 192.168.1.6 "find `cat spath` -depth" cat: spath: No such file or directory but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
0 Replies

7. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Trouble Registering? Countries or Regions Abusing Forums

The forums have been seeing a sharp increase in spam bots, forum robots, and malicious registrations from certain countries. If you have been directed to this thread due to a "No Permission Error" when trying to register please post in this thread and request permission to register, including... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nesting backticks

I'm trying to make a dialog window that prints the output of grep that takes the output of find. Unfortunately my nested backticks don't work. Here is the dialog window: dialog --stdout --title "test" --backtitle "test" --msgbox "Test:\n `grep -l "${tablica}" `find $string``" 16 60I think I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starting_Leaf
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)