Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copy file into directories and sub-directories Post 302323145 by jim mcnamara on Friday 5th of June 2009 01:56:57 PM
Old 06-05-2009
Let's assume dir1, dir2, etc live off the same parent directory - call it parent.

Code:
find parent/dir1 parent/dir2 parent/dir3 [and so on to ] parent/dir17 -type d |
while read directory 
do
    cp /home/me/file.js $directory
done

-----Post Update-----

If dir1 .. dir17 are all of the directories:

Code:
cd parent
find . -type d |
while read directory 
do
done

-----Post Update-----

If dir1 .. dir17 are all of the directories:

Code:
cd parent
find . -type d |
while read directory 
do
done

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 06-05-2009 at 03:46 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy single file to multiple directories

Please help - I need to copy a single file to multiple directories. Dir structure: Parent_Directoy Filename1 Child_Directory1 Child_Directory2 Child_Directory3 Child_Directory4 .... So I need to copy Filename1 to all of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with simple unix file copy and output in directories

Hi, I am fairly new to unix, and am trying to copy all files with the name "*.cons" within a directory (and all of the many directories within it) to a new directory called "output". There are multiple nested directories, and I would like to just pull out the files with ".cons" and not the other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: euspilapteryx
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy file using unix in multiple directories

Hi All Genious, I want to copy a file name XYZ .In a directory /HOME/dir/IXOS1/dir1 which contain multiple directories named not in pattern want to copy the XYZ in all of the directories available on path /HOME/dir/IXOS1/dir1 . Thanks in advance . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy particular file from directories recursively

I have directory path in which there are several sub directories. In all these sub dir there will be one env.cnf file. I want to copy this env.cnf file from each sub dir's and place them in destination path by creating same filename as sub dir_env.cnf. After copying env.cnf files from source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy directories in make file

LD:=C:/WindRiver/diab/5.9.3.0/WIN32/bin/dld.exe CFILES:=$(wildcard *.c) OBJFILES:=$(subst .c,.o, $(CFILES)) OBJ_PATH:=$(PRJ_PATH)/out/ ADDOBJFILES := $(addprefix $(OBJ_PATH),$(OBJFILES)) FILES:=C:/EB/tresos/workspace/Test_Spi/output/src copyfiles: cp ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ushacy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching between directories and mkdir/copy dir/file

I was trying to copy the files inside the path /home/user/check/Q1/dir/folder1/expected/n/a1.out1 and a1.out2 and a1.out3 to /home/user/check/Q2/dir/folder1/expected/n/ if n directory is not present at Q2/dir/folder1/expected/ then directory should be created first. And, script follow the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies
opendiff(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       opendiff(1)

NAME
opendiff -- Use FileMerge to graphically compare or merge file or directories SYNOPSIS
opendiff file1 file2 [-ancestor ancestorFile] [-merge mergeFile] opendiff dir1 dir2 [-ancestor ancestorDirectory] [-merge mergeDirectory] DESCRIPTION
opendiff is a command line utility that provides a convenient way to launch the FileMerge application from Terminal to graphically compare files or directories. If FileMerge is already running, opendiff will connect to that running instance for the new comparison. opendiff exits immediately after the comparison request has been sent to FileMerge. opendiff and FileMerge can be used to compare two files file1 and file2 or to compare two directories dir1 and dir2. If the -ancestor flag is given, FileMerge will compare the two files or directories to a common ancestor. This is useful if two people inde- pendently modify copies of a single original file or directory. FileMerge lets you merge two files or directories together to create a third file or directory. To see the contents of a merged file, drag the splitter bar at the bottom of FileMerge's file comparison window. The contents of the merged file can be directly edited within File- Merge. After editing, the merged file can be saved to the file (or into the directory) specified with the Fl merge flag. If a destination is not specified with the -merge flag, FileMerge will ask for a destination file or directory when you try to save a merged file. For further information, please consult the Help information available from the FileMerge application. FILES
/Developer/Applications/Utilities/FileMerge.app opendiff and FileMerge are installed as part of the Mac OS X Developer Tools. SEE ALSO
diff(1), diff3(1), cmp(1) Mac OS X August 3, 2004 Mac OS X