Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Issue with /etc/hosts file under ubuntu Post 302323008 by nekkro-kvlt on Friday 5th of June 2009 05:46:43 AM
Old 06-05-2009
[solved]Issue with /etc/hosts file under ubuntu

I think terminal outpu is better than long words so:

Quote:
bastien@bastien-laptop:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 bastien-laptop
10.192.5.200 3560
10.192.5.11 4507
10.192.5.250 7603_bas
10.192.5.28 7603_haut
10.192.5.253 7609
10.192.5.245 7609_2

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
bastien@bastien-laptop:~$ ping 4507
connect: Invalid argument
bastien@bastien-laptop:~$ ping 10.192.5.11
PING 10.192.5.11 (10.192.5.11) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 10.192.5.11: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=1.71 ms
64 bytes from 10.192.5.11: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1.36 ms
^C
--- 10.192.5.11 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1001ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.368/1.540/1.713/0.176 ms
bastien@bastien-laptop:~$
I rebooted my laptop but no success... It's the same for all entry i added... Any ideas ?
PS: I'm under ubuntu 9.0.4

edit: hostnames can't start with a number, using c4507 for example works.

Last edited by nekkro-kvlt; 06-05-2009 at 08:14 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/hosts on Ubuntu behaving strangely

Hy guys, I'm having a very strange problem, every time I change the /etc/hosts file on an Ubuntu machine @ work, every time I change the line: 127.0.0.1 programmer.COMPANY to 127.0.0.1 programmer.COMPANY programmer It works till the next reboot, now, I have never experienced this on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zarnick
5 Replies

2. Red Hat

SSH broke and network traffic / talking issue between hosts and server

Ok Time warner cable / voip modem feeding Cisco PIX 501 Wan port from PIX 501 LAN port to WAN port on Linksys wrt54GL wireless router. so -->Modem-->PIX 501-->WRT54GL-->Linux Server, wireless desktop, wireless laptop (2), Wireless MAC Pro, Wireless Apple TV, Wireless printer. my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tedeansiii
0 Replies

3. Ubuntu

This an Ubuntu or Dell issue?

I have a dell poweredge sc430 (what ever that is). Came cheap with an 80 gig sata hard drive. So maybe a year later I bought a 250 gig sata drive for backup (with rsynch from cron). Rsynch works fine. But now the machine won't reboot without me manually pressing the F1 key. I see a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salmobytes
3 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Ubuntu Graphic Quality Issue?

Okay I have my computer dual booted with Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows Vista, when I play a game on Vista such as Soldier Front or Quake its smooth and very enjoyable, but when I try to get a simple game such as Scorched 3D, its glitchy, choppy, and the background seeps through to the game (I get a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoxly
9 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Ubuntu OS 9.04 issue ..

i have been tyring to install the Ubuntu OS 9.04 ,some how i failed to install it. i actually downloaded the OS from Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu i got the image file i tried to burn it by using nero, it susscessfully burned the image but when i insert the cd into drive and restart my system its... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrUser
1 Replies

6. Programming

Ubuntu 9.04 issue

i have been tyring to install the Ubuntu OS 9.04 ,some how i failed to install it. i actually downloaded the OS from Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu i got the image file i tried to burn it by using nero, it susscessfully burned the image but when i insert the cd into drive and restart my system... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
5 Replies

7. IP Networking

Ubuntu LAN connectivity issue

System: Dell Desktop w/ 2 SATA drives running Ubuntu 9.10 that uses 2 ethernet cards, 1 for internet connectivity and another to interface the machine with a high voltage power supply which supports ssh and EPICS controls. Second Ethernet card is connected to a NetGear WNR3500 router, the VME... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: henslewm
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

chroot sftp, samba share, ownership issue linux hosts

Hello, I have sftp server with chroot for a group and username is on a Linux host, I have created a few subdirectories under sftpuser home directories with 775. Then using a Samba I shared this user home directory to another linux client. On the Linux client, I have jboss user to access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
2 Replies

9. AIX

aix tcp wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny?

hi all just installed the netsec.options.tcpwrapper from expansion pack, which used to be a rpm, for my aix 6.1 test box. it is so unpredictable. i set up the hosts.deny as suggested for all and allow the sshd for specific ip addresses/hostnames. the tcpdchk says the hosts allowed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wf201626
0 Replies

10. Solaris

How to copy a tar file on a series of remote hosts and untar it on those hosts?

Am trying to copy a tar file onto a series of remote hosts and untar it at the destination. Need to do this without having to do multiple ssh. Actions to perform within a single ssh session via shell script - copy a file - untar at destination (remote host) OS : Linux RHEL6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies
HOSTS(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  HOSTS(5)

NAME
hosts - static table lookup for hostnames SYNOPSIS
/etc/hosts DESCRIPTION
This manual page describes the format of the /etc/hosts file. This file is a simple text file that associates IP addresses with hostnames, one line per IP address. For each host a single line should be present with the following information: IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...] Fields of the entry are separated by any number of blanks and/or tab characters. Text from a "#" character until the end of the line is a comment, and is ignored. Host names may contain only alphanumeric characters, minus signs ("-"), and periods ("."). They must begin with an alphabetic character and end with an alphanumeric character. Optional aliases provide for name changes, alternate spellings, shorter hostnames, or generic hostnames (for example, localhost). The Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND) Server implements the Internet name server for UNIX systems. It augments or replaces the /etc/hosts file or hostname lookup, and frees a host from relying on /etc/hosts being up to date and complete. In modern systems, even though the host table has been superseded by DNS, it is still widely used for: bootstrapping Most systems have a small host table containing the name and address information for important hosts on the local network. This is useful when DNS is not running, for example during system bootup. NIS Sites that use NIS use the host table as input to the NIS host database. Even though NIS can be used with DNS, most NIS sites still use the host table with an entry for all local hosts as a backup. isolated nodes Very small sites that are isolated from the network use the host table instead of DNS. If the local information rarely changes, and the network is not connected to the Internet, DNS offers little advantage. FILES
/etc/hosts NOTES
Modifications to this file normally take effect immediately, except in cases where the file is cached by applications. Historical notes RFC 952 gave the original format for the host table, though it has since changed. Before the advent of DNS, the host table was the only way of resolving hostnames on the fledgling Internet. Indeed, this file could be created from the official host data base maintained at the Network Information Control Center (NIC), though local changes were often required to bring it up to date regarding unofficial aliases and/or unknown hosts. The NIC no longer maintains the hosts.txt files, though looking around at the time of writing (circa 2000), there are historical hosts.txt files on the WWW. I just found three, from 92, 94, and 95. EXAMPLE
# The following lines are desirable for IPv4 capable hosts 127.0.0.1 localhost # 127.0.1.1 is often used for the FQDN of the machine 127.0.1.1 thishost.mydomain.org thishost 192.168.1.10 foo.mydomain.org foo 192.168.1.13 bar.mydomain.org bar 146.82.138.7 master.debian.org master 209.237.226.90 www.opensource.org # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback ff02::1 ip6-allnodes ff02::2 ip6-allrouters SEE ALSO
hostname(1), resolver(3), host.conf(5), resolv.conf(5), resolver(5), hostname(7), named(8) Internet RFC 952 COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 HOSTS(5)