Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Piping to /dev/rmt0 tape ?
Operating Systems AIX Piping to /dev/rmt0 tape ? Post 302322927 by GaneshCPUX on Friday 5th of June 2009 01:10:09 AM
Old 06-05-2009

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

error piping nohup to /dev/null

Hi, I have a script as follows: #!/bin/sh nohup ./my_program >& /dev/null & However, i get a "Generated or received a file descriptor number that is not valid" whenever I run it. running the command up in prompt is ok though. if i change the first line to #!/bin/csh i get a then:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mochi
4 Replies

2. AIX

mt -f /dev/rmt0.1 status

Hello all, Anyboby knows what is the reason by which the ouput of the command mt -f /dev/rmt0.1 status on AIX does not show the same information that in the rest of platforms UNIX (Solaris, HP-UX, ...)? Then, what command of AIX is similar to mt- f /dev/rmt0.1 status of Solaris? We need it to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smoraprosol
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mt command shows /dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device

Hello guys, on my Red Hat machine the /bin/mt status command gives the output dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device. This messages comes up after the Server has been rebooted. Anybody an idea? Thx masterofdesaster (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterofdesaste
8 Replies

4. AIX

aix 4.2 : using dd of=/dev/rmt0 producing error

I want to compress backup files to tape using compress on our AIX 4.2 - Our TAR does not have compression. - I do not want to use local storage to compress as most of the filesystems are pretty full. - the only compressing tool we have is 'compress' - tapes are 5Gb 8mm I am trying this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
10 Replies

5. AIX

/dev/rmt0 pointed to from an NFS of another server ?

I only about the principle of filesystems from the very basics on Linux and Windows. But I want to know if it is possible on an AIX 4.2 to create one NFS on a server which is pointing to a tape drive (/dev/rmt0) of another server ? This is because we several backups to do on a 5 servers that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
5 Replies

6. SuSE

Tape Loader Device /dev/sgN is altering after each reboot

Dear all, we are running SLES 11 where an iscsi tape library is attached. To load the tape in a slot we are using for instance the command #mtx -f /dev/sg1 load 2 which is doing very well. But after a server's reboot the device name of the loader is now /dev/sg4 or /dev/sg5 I mean it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xunil321
1 Replies

7. Solaris

/dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional

I have an HP Proliant DL380 with Intel Processors that I recently loaded Solaris 10 with latest patches on it. I'm trying to do a ufsdump to an HP DAT 40 tape drive via SCSI, but I can't get it to do anything because /dev/rmt is empty. I've tried the following with luck: touch /reconfigure,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvaughn
7 Replies

8. SCO

Tape Drive (/dev/rct0) donot work sometimes

Hi all, I am facing problem with my Tape drive (hp) (/dev/rct0) on SCO Unix version 6.0.0. Sometimes tar works fine but some times it doesnot work and I have to restart the server to get it work. One reboot/shutdown is OK. to solve the problem. Error is "cannot open ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dextergenious
9 Replies

9. AIX

"Please mount volume 2 on /dev/rmt0.1" message during mksysb restore

Dear all First of all, my English not so good. We have p52a (production server) and p52a (test server). Tape drives are VXA2. When both servers were AIX 5.3, mksysb on production server and restoring to test server was OK. The production server was AIX 5.3 and recently upgraded to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fifa15pc
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
VOL(1)							      General Commands Manual							    VOL(1)

NAME
vol - split input on or combine output from several volumes SYNOPSIS
vol [-rw1] [-b blocksize] [-m multiple] [size] device DESCRIPTION
Vol either reads a large input stream from standard input and distributes it over several volumes or combines volumes and sends them to standard output. The size of the volumes is determined automatically if the device supports this, but may be specified before the argument naming the device if automated detection is not possible or if only part of the physical volume is used. The direction of the data is automatically determined by checking whether the input or output of vol is a file or pipe. Use the -r or -w flag if you want to specify the direction explicitly, in shell scripts for instance. Vol waits for each new volume to be inserted, typing return makes it continue. If no size is explicitely given then the size of the device is determined each time before it is read or written, so it is possible to mix floppies of different sizes. If the size cannot be deter- mined (probably a tape) then the device is assumed to be infinitely big. Vol can be used both for block or character devices. It will buffer the data and use a block size appropriate for fixed or variable block sized tapes. Vol reads or writes 8192 bytes to block devices, usually floppies. Character devices are read or written using a multiple of 512 bytes. This multiple has an upper limit of 32767 bytes (16-bit machine), 64 kb (32-bit), or even 1 Mb (32-bit VM). The last partial write to a character device is padded with zeros to the block size. If a character device is a tape device that responds to the mtio(4) status call then the reported tape block size will be used as the smallest unit. If the tape is a variable block length device then it is read or written like a block device, 8192 bytes at the time, with a minimum unit of one byte. All sizes may be suffixed by the letters M, k, b or w to multiply the number by mega, kilo, block (512), or word (2). The volume size by default in kilobytes if there is no suffix. OPTIONS
-rw Explicitly specify reading or writing. Almost mandatory in scripts. -1 Just one volume, start immediately. -b blocksize Specify the device block size. -m multiple Specify the maximum read or write size of multiple blocks. The -b and -m options allow one to modify the block size assumptions that are made above. These assumptions are -b 1 -m 8192 for block devices or variable length tapes, and -b 512 -m 65536 for charac- ter devices (32 bit machine.) These options will not override the tape block size found out with an mtio(4) call. The multiple may be larger then the default if vol can allocate the memory required. EXAMPLES
To back up a tree to floppies as a compressed tarfile: tar cf - . | compress | vol /dev/fd0 To restore a tree from 720 kb images from possibly bigger floppies: vol 720 /dev/fd0 | uncompress | tar xfp - Read or write a device with 1024 byte blocks: vol -b 1k /dev/rsd15 Read or write a variable block length tape using blocking factor 20 as used by default by many tar(1) commands: vol -m 20b /dev/rst5 Note that -m was used in the last example. It sets the size to use to read or write, -b sets the basic block size that may be written in multiples. SEE ALSO
dd(1), tar(1), mt(1), mtio(4). VOL(1)