Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vi in Linux Vs Sun Solaris
Operating Systems Solaris Vi in Linux Vs Sun Solaris Post 302322785 by reborg on Thursday 4th of June 2009 02:46:09 PM
Old 06-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi.sadani19
Hello All,

there is some strange behaviour of VI editor while i am working in SunSolaris.
I am trying to open a small file using vi abc.txt and it take around 5 mins for that file to open.. While i loggin to LINUX box which same profile and environment settings and opening the same file with vi abc.txt it open very fast.
I work in production evironment and frequently login to Sun and Linux boxes ..

Can anyone tell what changes i need to do so that i get same response of opening file in Sun Solaris as i am getting in LINUX

Thanks,
Ravi Sadani
This may seem like an odd answer. But you have not given any detail that can help in identifying why this happens. The best answer that can be given based on your information is "Find out why it takes so long and fix it"

What have you done so far to identify the problem?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Linux 7.3 & Sun Solaris 8 - common account login

is it possible to have an common login account for both linux and Solaris? Having problem in logging into linux, unable to load completely. home directory residue in Solaris 8, export out. No NIS running, only NFS in place. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennifer
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between sun solaris and linux?

Hi All, Iam curious to know wat are the differences between a sun machine and a linux machine?( In terms of architecture,applications etc) Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raz
3 Replies

3. Linux

Migrating from SENDMAIL on SUN SOLARIS to POSTFIX on Linux

Migrating from sendmail on SUN Solaris to POSTFIX on Linux. I have been asked to migrate our sendmail to postfix on Linux and would appreciate and information. Hints and tips on the process involved. Perhaps any links to useful site or documentation that you may know about. Many Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX, Linux and Sun Solaris Dummy

My name is Jimmy. My company support a client that using Sun Microsystems and Oracle. I'm totally zero knowledge about it. Only know installation a bit in Debian Linux and some commands. Do anyone here can help me at least some idea how to operate the Sun Microsystems. Please correct me if i'm... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyysk
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

linux bash script to sun solaris

Hi guys, I seek a solution for this action for Sun solaris. find /sapmnt/${up}/global -prune -printf "%m %M %u %g %p\n" > $DAT1 The Application/Utilities in Sun Solaris are to old and cant understand "-printf". An update for Application/Utilities is exist, but not possible to implement... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ixibits
6 Replies
OPEN(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   OPEN(1)

NAME
open -- open files and directories SYNOPSIS
open [-e] [-t] [-f] [-F] [-W] [-R] [-n] [-g] [-h] [-b bundle_identifier] [-a application] file ... [--args arg1 ...] DESCRIPTION
The open command opens a file (or a directory or URL), just as if you had double-clicked the file's icon. If no application name is speci- fied, the default application as determined via LaunchServices is used to open the specified files. If the file is in the form of a URL, the file will be opened as a URL. You can specify one or more file names (or pathnames), which are interpreted relative to the shell or Terminal window's current working directory. For example, the following command would open all Word files in the current working directory: open *.doc Opened applications inherit environment variables just as if you had launched the application directly through its full path. This behavior was also present in Tiger. The options are as follows: -a application Specifies the application to use for opening the file -b bundle_indentifier Specifies the bundle identifier for the application to use when opening the file -e Causes the file to be opened with /Applications/TextEdit -t Causes the file to be opened with the default text editor, as determined via LaunchServices -f Reads input from standard input and opens the results in the default text editor. End input by sending EOF character (type Control-D). Also useful for piping output to open and having it open in the default text editor. -F Opens the application "fresh," that is, without restoring windows. Saved persistent state is lost, except for Untitled documents. -W Causes open to wait until the applications it opens (or that were already open) have exited. Use with the -n flag to allow open to func- tion as an appropriate app for the $EDITOR environment variable. -R Reveals the file(s) in the Finder instead of opening them. -n Open a new instance of the application(s) even if one is already running. -g Do not bring the application to the foreground. -h Searches header locations for a header whose name matches the given string and then opens it. Pass a full header name (such as NSView.h) for increased performance. --args All remaining arguments are passed to the opened application in the argv parameter to main(). These arguments are not opened or inter- preted by the open tool. EXAMPLES
"open '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/foo.txt'" opens the document in the default application for its type (as determined by LaunchServices). "open '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/'" opens that directory in the Finder. "open -a /Applications/TextEdit.app '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/foo.txt'" opens the document in the application specified (in this case, TextE- dit). "open -b com.apple.TextEdit '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/foo.txt'" opens the document in the application specified (in this case, TextEdit). "open -e '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/foo.txt'" opens the document in TextEdit. "ls | open -f" writes the output of the 'ls' command to a file in /tmp and opens the file in the default text editor (as determined by LaunchServices). "open http://www.apple.com/" opens the URL in the default browser. "open 'file://localhost/Volumes/Macintosh HD/foo.txt'" opens the document in the default application for its type (as determined by Launch- Services). "open 'file://localhost/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/'" opens that directory in the Finder. "open -h NSView" lists headers whose names contain NSView and allows you to choose which ones to open. "open -a Xcode -h NSString.h" quickly opens /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/NSString.h in Xcode. HISTORY
First appeared in NextStep. Mac OS X February 10, 2004 Mac OS X