Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting passing variables to sed in ksh Post 302322753 by cfajohnson on Thursday 4th of June 2009 01:45:29 PM
Old 06-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.anggrianto
Hi, i need help passing variables to sed using ksh.
My goal is to get particular data from log files.
first i put a mark to the log files.

echo "TEST_"`date + %m_%d_%Y_%T"` >markFile

this will produce a 'markFile' which contain text like this
TEST_06_01_2009_21:55:09

Why do you need a file? A variable is simpler:

Code:
mark=$(date +TEST_%m_%d_%Y_%T)

Quote:
then i put the mark in the beginning and the end of a test on file.log
cat markFile>>file.log

Even if you do use a file, you don't need cat to read a single line:

Code:
read mark < markFile
printf "%s\n" "$mark" >> file.log

Quote:

...Let the test run
cat markFile>>file.log

as a result the log file will look like this
some text 1...
some text 2...
some text 3...
some text 4...
some text 5...
some text 6...
some text 7...
some text 8...

now i need to take the lines between those marks
some text 3...
some text 4...
some text 5...

as i said i am using ksh
create a variable
mark=`cat markFile`
sed -n '/$mark/,/$mark/p' acu.log

the issue is in the sed... sed doesn't want to take the value of $mark. i think sed sees $mark as a command.

Variables are not expanded inside single quotes; sed sees $mark as literally that: a dollar sign followed by m-a-r-k.

Code:
sed -n "/$mark/,/$mark/p" acu.log

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi folks, I'm looking for a solution to pass variables to a sed-command. I'm reading a lot of threats and also the q&a "How can I use a variable in sed?". None of these commands works. I'm using AIX 5.2. I want to do the following: NUMBER=` echo 38341` | sed -n '/$NUMBER/p' an obtained... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfisch
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to awk from ksh script

I'm trying to write a ksh script that uses awk, but I want to pass variables to awk. For example (not working): if ];then searchstr=$1 lsof -i | awk '{if($9~/SEARCHSTR/) print $2} SEARCHSTR=$searchstr' else echo "usage: $0 <search string>" fi I tried several options. Is it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed inside script

I am trying to pass a regular expression variable from a simple script to sed to remove entries from a text file e.g. a='aaaa bbbb cccc ...|...:' then executing sed from the script sed s'/"'$a"'//g <$FILE > $FILE"_"1 my output file is always the same as the input file !! any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel234
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed function in a script ....

Hello , I have a script named testscript.sh wherein I have two variables $var and $final (both of which contain a number) I have a sed write function inside this script as follows: sed '1,2 w somefile.txt' fromfile.txt Now , in the above i want to pass $var and $final instead of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shweta_d
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi Folks, How can I make the following to work from a korn shell? old="OLDSTRING" new="NEWSTRING" file="myfile.txt" sed -n 's/$old/$new/gp' $file Thanks in advance rogers42 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogers42
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern matching or passing variables

I need sed to add a "/>" to the end of a line that contains/starts with <meta. current line is <meta name="keywords" content="kayword 1, kwyword2"> and should be <meta name="keywords" content="kayword 1, kwyword2 " /> i need something like this? find . -name "*.html" -print0 | xargs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sky_rivers
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with passing multiple variables into SED

Hello I am hoping you can help. I use ksh in Solaris9 I am trying to pass user imputed variables into SED but for some reason can only get SED to recognize one variable. I have experimented with te below command with putting ' ' and " " in different places but I cant seem to get it to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to a sed function

Hi everyone, I've re-written some of our scripts to use more functions and I've run into a situation where passing a variable to a sed function does not work. My function is a one-liner sed command as follows: function StringSub() { sed -i "${1}/${2}/${3}/${4}" ${5} } Where ${1} through... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: richardsantink
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh While Loop - passing variables to functions

I'm reading a text file using a while loop but when I call a function from within this loop it exits that same iteration … even though there are many more lines in the file to be read. I thought it was something to do with the IFS setting but it appears that a function call (when run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
3 Replies
prof(5) 							File Formats Manual							   prof(5)

Name
       prof - profile within a function

Syntax
       #define MARK
       #include <prof.h>

void MARK (name)

Description
       The  symbol  produces  a mark called name that is treated the same as a function entry point.  Execution of the mark increments the counter
       for that mark, and the program-counter time spent is accounted to the preceding mark or to the function if a preceding mark is  not  within
       the active function.

The  name argument can be any combination of numbers or underscores.  Each name in a single compilation must be unique, but can be the same
       as any ordinary program symbol.

For marks to be effective, the symbol must be defined before the header file is included.  This may be defined by a preprocessor  directive
       as in the synopsis, or by a command line argument.  For example:
       cc -p -DMARK foo.c
       If is not defined, the statements may remain in the source files, but they will be ignored.

Examples
       In  the following example, marks are used to determine how much time is spent in each loop.  Unless the example is compiled with defined on
       the command line, the marks are ignored:
       #include <prof.h>
       foo( )
       {
	    int i, j;
	    MARK(loop1);
	    for (i = 0; i < 2000; i++) {
		 . . .
	    }
	    MARK(loop2);
	    for (j = 0; j < 2000; j++) {
		 . . .