Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SFTP automation with password/passphrase Post 302322673 by sysgate on Thursday 4th of June 2009 09:55:25 AM
Old 06-04-2009
This can be done with either batch mode, or with external language, such as TCL/Expect. Please use our search function, and I'm sure you will find your option, personally I have posted at least 5 times sample Expect code for SFTP automation.
In both cases the password will be placed in a plain format, so this has security risk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SSH passphrase and Password

Hello all, Today we run ssh with keys on all our Solaris systems. But I wounder: Is it possible to add another authentication too. Like the os/system regular password so the users first need to enter the ssh phasssphrase and after that they need to enter the os/system password. I need like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jOOc
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP & Passphrase('s)

Hi all, I generally use the something along the lines of the following when I need to perform SFTP's ... sftp -v -o IdentityFile=${IdentityFile} \ -b ${SFTP_BATCH_FILE} \ ${USRID}@${IP_OR_DNS}:${REMOTE_DIR} 2>&1 | tee -a ${SFTPLOG}Now currently we are not using any passphrase... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP - non-interactive - using passphrase

Hi, I have written a script that does SFTP successfully without using the password (Thanks to this site :b: ) and it works fine. The thing is - this script uses the public and private key generation with a "null" passphrase. But I now need to write a script that does SFTP non-interactively... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandy0077
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP password automation

I am working on a script to automate and SFTP that I am currently doing to a company that does not allow for a .ssh profile to be created. I have search and read about the -b option and am wondering if i can get some more information about it. I tried to right a file containing the password... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaycheetwood
3 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Password Automation pros/cons

folks, I have a security related question, to all you. Please share your comments with me. I have a situation where i was asked to automate the password in my application, which expires every 6 months. In this case i need to generate a random password and set the password on some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudharma
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with user password automation

Hello, I need some assistance in trying to figure out the best way to automate user account password resets. The environment is a mix of 2000 HP-ux, aix, linux, and sunos boxes. The security specs are to reset pw's every 90 days. Most boxes are only accessible from within a current ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deviousdoses
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp Connection from Unix to Windows 2003 server using Passphrase

Hi All, I am trying to connect from Unix machine to Windows 2003 server using passphrase method. It is connecting to the server and the connection is immediately closing. Below is the stack trace. Can anyone let me know what wrong with it? cwadmin@iut1wps1:/home/cwadmin> ssh username@targetip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijayin
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

password automation

i am doing automation of report in unix. i am copying files from different server using scp command.. if i use scp its asking for password for copying files..is there any way to automate this password issue.. can anyone help me out??? tahnks in advance, Arun Manas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Yet another sftp automation question

Hello, I've read quite a few of the sftp questions and answers on the forum but I believe my situation is slightly different. I need to automate an sftp transfer to a host that requires not only a ssh publickey, but also a password. When I try using sftp in batch mode, supplying a "user... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: n3llyb0y
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp automation script not working

Hi all , can any one tell me how to code SFTP automation script ? I searched lots of forums but i didn't get any useful information:( I don't want auto Login script > like if u run the script it should automatically login into specific account and etc.. Just i want the following things... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan008
4 Replies
MKPASSWD(1)						      General Commands Manual						       MKPASSWD(1)

NAME
mkpasswd - generate new password, optionally apply it to a user SYNOPSIS
mkpasswd [ args ] [ user ] INTRODUCTION
mkpasswd generates passwords and can apply them automatically to users. mkpasswd is based on the code from Chapter 23 of the O'Reilly book "Exploring Expect". USAGE
With no arguments, mkpasswd returns a new password. mkpasswd With a user name, mkpasswd assigns a new password to the user. mkpasswd don The passwords are randomly generated according to the flags below. FLAGS
The -l flag defines the length of the password. The default is 9. The following example creates a 20 character password. mkpasswd -l 20 The -d flag defines the minimum number of digits that must be in the password. The default is 2. The following example creates a password with at least 3 digits. mkpasswd -d 3 The -c flag defines the minimum number of lowercase alphabetic characters that must be in the password. The default is 2. The -C flag defines the minimum number of uppercase alphabetic characters that must be in the password. The default is 2. The -s flag defines the minimum number of special characters that must be in the password. The default is 1. The -p flag names a program to set the password. By default, /etc/yppasswd is used if present, otherwise /bin/passwd is used. The -2 flag causes characters to be chosen so that they alternate between right and left hands (qwerty-style), making it harder for anyone watching passwords being entered. This can also make it easier for a password-guessing program. The -v flag causes the password-setting interaction to be visible. By default, it is suppressed. EXAMPLE
The following example creates a 15-character password that contains at least 3 digits and 5 uppercase characters. mkpasswd -l 15 -d 3 -C 5 SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology mkpasswd is in the public domain. NIST and I would appreciate credit if this program or parts of it are used. 22 August 1994 MKPASSWD(1)