Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nawk code explanation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting nawk code explanation Post 302322652 by ahmad.diab on Thursday 4th of June 2009 09:23:38 AM
Old 06-04-2009
explination:-

if you find [435] set c 22 end.
if c is true (meaning c > 0) and c-- (c=c-1) is also true print $0 ($0 is all the line) end.

BR

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need explanation for the syntax(code)

Hi I am new to shell script programming... want to know the process of the following: if then echo "$0: missing argument for option(s) :$MISSINGOPTARG" echo "usage" $USAGE" exit 1 fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandhar
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK deifnition and some small code explanation

Could someone give me a quick simple explanation for the AWK command. And also help me to explain the code i have made. I have made some general comments about it myself. I was wondering if people could help me with the rest: awk -F'' 'END { fmt = "%-20s\t%s\t%s\n" ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatuer_lee_3
0 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Please help with the following fork code..with complete explanation

I have the following piece of codes. Please explain it to me in great detail how are these codes working. 1. #include <stdio.h> int main(){ int x; x=0; while (x<2 && fork()){ if (!fork()) execlp("echo","x++","x",0); x++; system("echo x+x"); } } 2. #include <stdio.h> int i;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prakashabii
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

code explanation

Can you please explain the following code plz? my_cd=' ' while getopts :e: OPTION; do case "$OPTION" in e) my_cd ="$OPTARG";; esac done if ; then echo " >>> ERROR - I am wrong" echo " >>> ERROR - Hello" exit 99 fi What I don't understand is what is OPTION or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of NAWK Code

Hi all, I need your help in understanding the meaning and syntax of the below nawk line. Here is an extract of a script which I use daily and works well. The script extracts the hostnames and messages within a syslog file. I would also like to extract the message time in the 3rd column by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Code explanation?

I need someone to tell me how exactly works the following code αfter /etc/passwd :eek:: cat /etc/passwd|grep "^:"|sed '1,$s/^\(*\):*:\(*\):.*$/ \1 \2 /'|sort -nrk3 -t:I want a good explanation to understand the code please (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotsos13
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Minix 3 Source Code Organisation Explanation

1. I've been asked to provide a detailed description on how Minix's source code is organised. This may sound slightly simple, but what exactly am I to refer to when explaining? Any documents that would provide assistance to understand whats being asked? Thanks 2. Not applicable: 3.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Menace12
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk Problem - nawk out of space in tostring on

Hi.. i am running nawk scripts on solaris system to get records of file1 not in file2 and find duplicate records in a while with the following scripts -compare nawk 'NR==FNR{a++;next;} !a {print"line"FNR $0}' file1 file2duplicate - nawk '{a++}END{for(i in a){if(a-1)print i,a}}' file1in the middle... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhiraj Singh
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh code explanation

Hi. Can somebody please explain the following lines of KSH code for me? The code checks all sub directories in a specific location which are numbered (E.g. test_01, test_02 ... etc.), then finds the one with highest number and extracts that number from the dir name into the variable num. I'd just... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Explanation of Nawk command

Hi Folks, I am struggling to understand nawk command which was used by another developer. Can you please explain what each character or string is doing here below: if ; then (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirans.229
3 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)