Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Problem creating sol8 container using seperate / /usr and /var ufsdumps Post 302322418 by BrokeIt on Wednesday 3rd of June 2009 04:35:24 PM
Old 06-03-2009
Question Problem creating sol8 container using seperate / /usr and /var ufsdumps

Hello experts

New to solaris 8 containers and zones in general and I'm having some problems creating a Solaris 8 container using ufsdumps of /, /usr and /var.

I have created the zone which worked fine and a running the following command.

Code:
zoneadm -z zone_s8 install -v -p -a /root.ufs

I'm getting the following output:

Code:
      Log File: /var/tmp/zone_s8.install.1219.log
       Product: Solaris 8 Containers 1.0
     Installer: solaris8 brand installer 1.2
          Zone: zone_s8
          Path: /u01/zone_s8
        Source: /root.ufs
    Media Type: ufsdump archive
    Installing: This may take several minutes...
  Sanity Check: Passed.  Looks like a Solaris 8 system.
Postprocessing: This may take several minutes...
   Postprocess: Gathering information about zone zone_s8
   Postprocess: Creating mount points
   Postprocess: Linking in appropriate libc_psr.so for this platform
   Postprocess: Processing /etc/system
   Postprocess: Booting zone to single user mode
   Postprocess: Applying p2v module S20_apply_patches
        S20_apply_patches:  Unpacking patch:  109147-44
        S20_apply_patches: Installing patch:  109147-44
        S20_apply_patches:  Unpacking patch:  111023-03
        S20_apply_patches: Installing patch:  111023-03
        S20_apply_patches:  Unpacking patch:  111431-01
        S20_apply_patches: Installing patch:  111431-01
        S20_apply_patches:  Unpacking patch:  112605-04
        S20_apply_patches: Installing patch:  112605-04
   Postprocess: ERROR: p2v module S20_apply_patches failed: 0
   Postprocess: ERROR: Zone boot failed
   Postprocess: ERROR: Postprocessing failed.
        Result: Postprocessing failed.
        Result: *** Installation FAILED ***
      Log File: /var/tmp/zone_s8.install.1219.log

The log file is complaining that it cannot access files in /var, which will be true as I havent loaded the ufsdump of var yet.

What am I doing wrong here? Is there a way to build a container using dumps of /, /usr and /var?

I have read and re-read the man page but there doesnt appear to be a way of passing multiple dumps at once.

Any help appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/usr/lib on a seperate partition

I want to move /usr/lib on a seperate partition. ( is is now all at / ) I know how to copy data and update fstab but... At boot time, the mepis distro already needs stuff from /usr/lib but it is not mounted yet. So i get error before /usr/lib is mounted. Does this mean you cannot move... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: progressdll
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Sol8 ip problem

i have sol8, in E250 system, my problem is when i gave ip address to hme0 interface it is runnig correctly, it is in /etc/hosts in addition, but when i gave init 6 to system i coulf not see ip address, so i can not establish connection system, only after igave ip manually by means of ifconfig it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nibiru78
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating /var/run

I havn't installed solaris 10 (nor any solaris in a long time). I noticed that during the install the file system layout allowed me to create a swap partition, but there wern't enough partitions to create a /var/run (I am mirroring the disk config of another system). Is /var/run created manually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
2 Replies

4. Linux

Problem with /usr/bin

I installed an application in this location /root/jython and I added a link to the /usr/bin because i want everyone on the system to be able to execute this ln -s /root/jython/jython jython I can execute this anywhere when i am logged in as root but when i change user to say juju it returns ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oyesiji
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in /var/log/messages and /usr/bin/last

Unfortunately., i had remove the files /var/log/messages and /usr/bin/last in our server, we have to touch another one and change the permissions also but not working still now. help me yours thakshina (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thakshina
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

/usr/sbin/crond: can't lock /var/run/crond.pid,

please tell pre-requisite steps to activate cron. i activated the cron but it not executing the script which i set in crontab entry.through root user i passed the service crond start it get start.but when i go to etc/init.d and passed crond stop command.it gets crond: can't lock /var/run/crond.pid,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umair
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Can /usr and /var be copied to another machine?

Hi May I know whether I can a restore a backup of the following files and folders from one machine Sunfire V880 to another Sunfire V880 all running the same Solaris 9 without any problems to the 2nd machine?: 1. /usr 2. /var 3. /etc/shadow 4. /etc/group 5. /etc/passwd ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

looping through file and creating seperate files

Hi, My first post!! I have a files with header, something like this Header_Row AMC|D1|D2|D2 AAO|D3|D4|D5 AMC|D6|D7|D8 AAO|D9|D10|D11 . . . . . and millions fo records thereafter like this. I want to read the above file in a loop and write the lines having AMC into another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitbakre
1 Replies

9. Programming

Problem with STL's std::set container parameter to the operator << ()

Hi, I have this following code which gives me error when compiling. The problem is happening at the point where I create a const_iterator inside the overloaded insertion operator (i.e) operator << () function. The template argument version of set is not correct I guess. Could anyone please pitch... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Ufsdumps of swap

Good Morning, When doing ufsdumps would there be any value in doing a ufsdump of the swap? Is it even possible to do? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
4 Replies