Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reg hostname change.
Operating Systems Solaris Reg hostname change. Post 302322176 by kumarmani on Wednesday 3rd of June 2009 04:10:27 AM
Old 06-03-2009
Coz thats the file which store the name of system which is linked to /etc/hosts

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change hostname

Hi, ( running solaris 8 ) I know how to change the hostname temparily, by login in as root typing hostname = xxxxx but, this obviously goes when the system is rebooted. I'm not sure what files need changing to make this a permant change. Could anyone help me please? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change of Hostname

Dear All. I will like to know beside the following command "hostname hostname" what other command that can change the hostname of the Unix. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelbvonn
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Change IP and Hostname

Hello.. I wanted to know how to change IP and Hostname on HPUX system, and I don't want to make it as NIS master either. Could someone tell me the files I need to modify and make sure it's on network? Thanks! :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change hostname

Hi, I asked this question whenI was running solaris 8 and got some very good answers. I've just uograded to Solaris 10 and there seems to quite a few changes so I need to know again. https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=8547 ------------ Hi (now solaris 10) I know how to change the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

6. Linux

how to change hostname permanentaly

i want to change my hostname permanentaly in my Fedora core 6. could any one tell me how it is possible .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Change hostname

Hello, I would like to change the hostname on a Linux server (RHEL4). I try different methods in vain : - by using hostname command - by changing /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname But after restarting server, the old hostname re-appears... :confused: And the file ./proc/sys/kernel/hostname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change HostName

How to change host name in NCR Unix version 3.0 release 4.0 I got the OS version and OS release from executing uname -v and uname -r (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalina
9 Replies

9. Linux

Change Linux Hostname

Hi Good Day! I have a fedora 8 installed and I wan't to change its hostname since the default hostname is "localhost.localdomain". I wanna change it to something different. Please some one advice what to do. Do I have to change the entry in "/etc/hosts" or there's other way to do it? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
7 Replies
nisln(1)							   User Commands							  nisln(1)

NAME
nisln - symbolically link NIS+ objects SYNOPSIS
nisln [-L] [-D defaults] name linkname DESCRIPTION
The nisln command links a NIS+ object named name to a NIS+ name linkname. If name is an indexed name (see nismatch(1)), the link points to entries within a NIS+ table. Clients wishing to look up information in the name service can use the FOLLOW_LINKS flag to force the client library to follow links to the name they point to. Further, all of the NIS+ administration commands accept the -L switch indicating they should follow links (see nis_names(3NSL) for a description of the FOLLOW_LINKS flag). When creating the link, nisln verifies that the linked object exists. Once created, the linked object may be deleted or replaced and the link will not be affected. At that time, the link will become invalid and attempts to follow it will return NIS_LINKNAMEERROR to the client. When the path attribute in tables specifies a link rather than another table, the link will be followed if the flag FOLLOW_LINKS was present in the call to nis_list() (see nis_tables(3NSL)) and ignored if the flag is not present. If the flag is present and the link is no longer valid, a warning is sent to the system logger and the link is ignored. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -D defaults Specify a different set of defaults to be used for the creation of the link object. The defaults string is a series of tokens separated by colons. These tokens represent the default values to be used for the generic object properties. All of the legal tokens are described below. ttl=time This token sets the default time to live for objects that are created by this command. The value time is specified in the format as defined by the nischttl(1) command. The default is 12 hours. owner=ownername This token specifies that the NIS+ principal ownername should own the created object. The default for this value is the the principal who is executing the command. group=groupname This token specifies that the group groupname should be the group owner for the object that is created. The default is NULL. access=rights This token specifies the set of access rights that are to be granted for the given object. The value rights is specified in the format as defined by the nischmod(1) command. The default value is ----rmcdr---r---. -L When present, this option specifies that this command should follow links. If name is itself a link, then this command will follow it to the linked object that it points to. The new link will point to that linked object rather than to name. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Creating a link In this example, we create a link in the domain foo.com. named hosts that points to the object hosts.bar.com.: example% nisln hosts.bar.com. hosts.foo.com. Example 2 Making a link that points to an entry in the hosts table In this example, we make a link example.foo.com. that points to an entry in the hosts table in eng.foo.com: example% nisln '[name=example],hosts.eng.foo.com.' example.foo.com. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
NIS_PATH If this variable is set, and the NIS+ name is not fully qualified, each directory specified will be searched until the object is found (see nisdefaults(1)). EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. 1 Operation failed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nisdefaults(1), nismatch(1), nisrm(1), nistbladm(1), nis_names(3NSL), nis_tables(3NSL), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the Solaris operating system. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the current Solaris release. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.11 2 Dec 2005 nisln(1)