Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change of password
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change of password Post 302322145 by gsiva on Wednesday 3rd of June 2009 02:19:28 AM
Old 06-03-2009
Hi,

Thank you for your response... I am aware of adding entries in the crontab. but my question is not that, can I have this to be done via a shell script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change password by pushing encrypted password to systems

I'm tasked to change a user's password on multiple Linux systems (RH v3). I though copying the encrypted password from one Linux /etc/shadow file to another would work but I was wrong. The long term solution is to establish an openLDAP Directory service, but for now I'm stuck with a manual... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: benq70
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

How I Can Change The Password

I need change the password a two user. what're the commands to complete this requerement (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobangarcia
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

change password ??

Hey all, How to reset the password to a given user id ?? I used passwd commands, but now for that user there are 2 passwords. i.e the old and new passwords. as : passwd mqcfaostt oldpassword : pass1 new password : pass2 Confirm new password : pass2 Now, su - mqcdaostt is working for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

change password in one go

Hi all, I need to change the password of any user in one go. For example in Linux we have two options :- (echo "username:password") | chpasswd or echo $PASS | passwd $USER --stdin This changes the password without prompting. Actually, I need to make a script which adds a user and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

change password in one go

Hi all, I need to change the password of any user in one go. For example in Linux we have two options :- (echo "username:password") | chpasswd or echo $PASS | passwd $USER --stdin This changes the password without prompting. Actually, I need to make a script which adds a user and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Password Change

When I am trying to change the password of my account. I could see the following error: passwd: Changing password for ramu Enter existing login password: passwd: Sorry: less than 14 days since the last change. Permission denied Is anybody out there who can help me in changing my password? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
4 Replies

9. AIX

Change password to blank password

AIX 6.1 User has a password set. It needs to be a blank password (no password). smit passwd enter user name at change password and confirm password, just press ENTER Afterwards, I could not log on with blank password or with original password. How can I change the password to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: landog
2 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd, ypchfn, ypchsh - change your password in the NIS database SYNOPSIS
yppasswd [-f] [-l] [-p] [user] ypchfn [user] ypchsh [user] DESCRIPTION
In the old days, the standard passwd(1), chfn(1) and chsh(1) tools could not be used under Linux to change the users NIS password, shell and GECOS information. For changing the NIS information, they were replaced by their NIS counterparts, yppasswd, ypchfn and ypchsh. Today, this versions are deprecated and should not be used any longer. Using the command line switches, you can choose whether to update your password -p, your login shell -l, or your GECOS field -f, or a com- bination of them. yppasswd implies the -p option, if no other option is given. If you use the -f or -l option, you also need to add the -p flag. ypchfn implies the -f option, and ypchsh -l. When invoked without the user argument, the account information for the invoking user will be updated, otherwise that of user will be updated. This option is only available to the super-user. If the yppasswdd daemon on the server supports it, you can give the root password of the server instead of the users [old] password. All tools will first prompt the user for the current NIS password needed for authentication with the yppasswdd(8) daemon. Subsequently, the program prompts for the updated information: yppasswd or -p Change the user's NIS password. The user is prompted for the new password. While typing the password, echoing is turned off, so the password does not appear on the screen. An empty password is rejected, as are passwords shorter than six characters. The user will then be requested to retype the password to make sure it wasn't misspelled the first time. ypchsh or -l Change the user's login shell. The user is prompted for a new shell, offering the old one as default: Login shell [/bin/sh]: _ To accept the default, simply press return. To clear the shell field in your passwd(5) file entry (so that the system's default shell is selected), enter the string none. ypchfn or -f Change the user's full name and related information. Traditionally, some applications expect the GECOS field (field 4) of the passwd(5) file to contain the user's real name (as opposed to the login name) plus some additional information like the office phone number. This information is displayed by finger(1) and probably some other tools, too. When setting the full name, ypchfn displays the following prompts, with the defaults in brackets: Name [Joe Doe]: Location [2nd floor, bldg 34]: Office Phone [12345]: Home Phone []: To accept a default, simply press return. To clear a field, enter the string none. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), chsh(1), finger(1), passwd(5), passwd(1), ypcat(1), yppasswdd(8), ypserv(8), ypwhich(1) AUTHOR
yppasswd is part of the yp-tools package, which was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>. YP Tools 2.9 June 2004 yppasswd(1)