Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl -write values in a file to @array in perl Post 302321929 by durden_tyler on Tuesday 2nd of June 2009 11:14:52 AM
Old 06-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by schultz2146
What I would like to do now is take a data file

AAA
BBB
CCC

and read strings into @stringArray and read the int into @intArray.
Here's one way to do it:

Code:
$
$ cat -n datafile
     1  AAA
     2  BBB
     3  CCC
     4  1
     5  2
     6  3
     7  xYz
     9  456
    10  abc12de
    11  xyz~!lm.&
$
$
$ cat testarray.pl
#!perl -w
open(FILE, "<datafile");
while (<FILE>) {
  chomp;
  if ($_ =~ /^[[:alpha:]]+$/) {
    push @stringArray, $_;
  } elsif ($_ =~ /^\d+$/) {
    push @intArray, $_;
  }
}
close(FILE);
print("\nString Array ===> @stringArray");
print("\nInt Array    ===> @intArray");
print("\n");
$
$
$ perl testarray.pl
String Array ===> AAA BBB CCC xYz
Int Array    ===> 1 2 3 456
$
$

Note:
- Due to the "+" quantifier, the regexes look for at least one character/digit. Hence line no. 8 was left out.
- The match is case-insensitive e.g. line no. 7
- The [:alpha:] POSIX character class does not match alphanumeric and special characters due to which lines 10 and 11 were left out.

Hope that helps,
tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: Assigning array values..

I have to add a variable value to an array, something like this: ...... @my_array_name = $value_of_this_variable; This doesnt seem to work, any ideas why? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Accessing array elements within a sed command in Perl script

I am trying to use a script to replace the header of each file, whose filename are stored within the array $test, using the sed command within a Perl script as follows: $count = 0; while ( $count < $#test ) { `sed -e 's/BIOGRF 321/BIOGRF 332/g' ${test} > 0`; `cat 0 >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Greping array values in Bash like Perl

Hi, Is there an easy way to simulate following Perl code in Bash. if ( grep {$my_value eq $_} @ARGV ){ print "Do Something\n"; } else { die "Invalid value"; } (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to map the values of an array in perl?

Hi, I have 2 arrays: @names=qw(amith veena chaitra); @files=qw(file.txt file1.txt file3.txt); There is one to one relationship between names and files. There needs to be mapping created between names and files. The output should be like this: amith --> file.txt veena --->... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP on Perl array / sorting - trying to convert Korn Shell Script to Perl

Hi all, Not sure if this should be in the programming forum, but I believe it will get more response under the Shell Programming and Scripting FORUM. Am trying to write a customized df script in Perl and need some help with regards to using arrays and file handlers. At the moment am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search and replace a array values in perl

Hi, i want to search and replace array values by using perl perl -pi -e "s/${d$i]}/${b$j]}" *.xml i am using while loop for the same. if i excute this,it shows "Substitution replacement not terminated at -e line 1.". please tell me what's wrong this line (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl :: reading values from Data Dumper reference in Perl

Hi all, I have written a perl code and stored the data into Data structure using Data::Dumper module. But not sure how to retreive the data from the Data::Dumper. Eg. Based on the key value( Here CRYPTO-6-IKMP_MODE_FAILURE I should be able to access the internal hash elements(keys) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : Assigning multile hash values to a single array

I know that @food = %fruit; Works. But how do I assign %fruit and %veggies to @food ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl next if @array (exclude a list of values)

I'm trying to exlude a list of values with perl to process while reading in a file. Is there a way to use the next if with a list? Example: @array = qw(val1 val2 val3 val6); while (<>) { next if $_ =~ @array; # values I don't want to process here print; # process the rest here }... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
8 Replies
AutoSplit(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					    AutoSplit(3pm)

NAME
AutoSplit - split a package for autoloading SYNOPSIS
autosplit($file, $dir, $keep, $check, $modtime); autosplit_lib_modules(@modules); DESCRIPTION
This function will split up your program into files that the AutoLoader module can handle. It is used by both the standard perl libraries and by the MakeMaker utility, to automatically configure libraries for autoloading. The "autosplit" interface splits the specified file into a hierarchy rooted at the directory $dir. It creates directories as needed to reflect class hierarchy, and creates the file autosplit.ix. This file acts as both forward declaration of all package routines, and as timestamp for the last update of the hierarchy. The remaining three arguments to "autosplit" govern other options to the autosplitter. $keep If the third argument, $keep, is false, then any pre-existing "*.al" files in the autoload directory are removed if they are no longer part of the module (obsoleted functions). $keep defaults to 0. $check The fourth argument, $check, instructs "autosplit" to check the module currently being split to ensure that it includes a "use" specifi- cation for the AutoLoader module, and skips the module if AutoLoader is not detected. $check defaults to 1. $modtime Lastly, the $modtime argument specifies that "autosplit" is to check the modification time of the module against that of the "autosplit.ix" file, and only split the module if it is newer. $modtime defaults to 1. Typical use of AutoSplit in the perl MakeMaker utility is via the command-line with: perl -e 'use AutoSplit; autosplit($ARGV[0], $ARGV[1], 0, 1, 1)' Defined as a Make macro, it is invoked with file and directory arguments; "autosplit" will split the specified file into the specified directory and delete obsolete ".al" files, after checking first that the module does use the AutoLoader, and ensuring that the module is not already currently split in its current form (the modtime test). The "autosplit_lib_modules" form is used in the building of perl. It takes as input a list of files (modules) that are assumed to reside in a directory lib relative to the current directory. Each file is sent to the autosplitter one at a time, to be split into the directory lib/auto. In both usages of the autosplitter, only subroutines defined following the perl __END__ token are split out into separate files. Some rou- tines may be placed prior to this marker to force their immediate loading and parsing. Multiple packages As of version 1.01 of the AutoSplit module it is possible to have multiple packages within a single file. Both of the following cases are supported: package NAME; __END__ sub AAA { ... } package NAME::option1; sub BBB { ... } package NAME::option2; sub BBB { ... } package NAME; __END__ sub AAA { ... } sub NAME::option1::BBB { ... } sub NAME::option2::BBB { ... } DIAGNOSTICS
"AutoSplit" will inform the user if it is necessary to create the top-level directory specified in the invocation. It is preferred that the script or installation process that invokes "AutoSplit" have created the full directory path ahead of time. This warning may indicate that the module is being split into an incorrect path. "AutoSplit" will warn the user of all subroutines whose name causes potential file naming conflicts on machines with drastically limited (8 characters or less) file name length. Since the subroutine name is used as the file name, these warnings can aid in portability to such systems. Warnings are issued and the file skipped if "AutoSplit" cannot locate either the __END__ marker or a "package Name;"-style specification. "AutoSplit" will also emit general diagnostics for inability to create directories or files. perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 AutoSplit(3pm)