Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: @ sign in permissions?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers @ sign in permissions? Post 302321863 by vbe on Tuesday 2nd of June 2009 09:15:12 AM
Old 06-02-2009
ls man page:
If the file or directory has extended attributes, the permissions field printed by the -l option is followed by a '@' character.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of % sign

Does % sign have any impact, special meaning in unix shell scripts ??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sokash
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sign on/Sign off logging script

I'd like to make a script that I can execute every time I sign on to my linux box that keeps track of the time and allows to me to add a remark to a file. So basically once I log in, I run the script, and it outputs the date and time to a text file (log.txt). But that isn't my problem. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glider
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

minus sign

why a minus sign is put for options in unix commands suggestions plz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Euro Sign and some other chars

First of all hello, this is my first post here. :) I have a problem with displaying the euro sign and two other characters from the ISO8859-7 greek set (the drachma sign and the ipogegrameni) in the UNIX platform. Either when I type them normally or if i try to read a text file with some of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavlos87
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what the %s does percent sign-s mean?

context: while reading tutorial on the read command, one of the first examples, demonstrating its use, follows as such: $ x=abc ; printf "x is now '%s'. Enter new value: " $x ; read x generating this output: x is now 'abc'. Enter new value: first, what does %s represent? I know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count value between | sign

Hi I have a file inw which values are seperated by "|" I want to count number of values present in each line of the file Input file AS|23 34|BD|A2|890 AK|23 44|D|A2|89076|89 AF|23 34|BD|A2|8 Result 5 6 5 there are 5 values inside | sign hence o/p will be 5 similarly in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep $ sign help?

hi so I was debugging some scripts and I ran into a problem that did not come up before grep -n "$variable"$ ./file.txt I figured the second $ is meant to reference the end of the line but this gave me trouble in my c shell. anyone know whats wrong here or how to rewrite this??? Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vas28r13
2 Replies

8. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Unable to sign in

I am unable to sign in to the UNIX forum. I tried my username "timotei2" and the password - but access was denied. My email address - <removed> - was not recognised, either. This is strange as I registered some years back. Should I re-register, or can nyou re-set my log in credentials? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
1 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Sign in issues

I tried logging in under my username (Michael Mullig) but as it's been a while I've forgotten my password. None of my email addresses are recognized either. Thinking that my username my have been purged due to lack of activity (understandable) I tried to re-register, only to find the name is still... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike Mullig
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable has value with = or == sign

I have a script which is reading value from property file and doing replacement in source location which contains multiple files. property file has values abc=xyz; yux=1;version=3.0; bcd=123;apple==mango when my script does search and reads value from property file. its replacing value... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shamkamde
1 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)