Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cut big text file into 2
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut big text file into 2 Post 302321610 by sandy221 on Monday 1st of June 2009 04:51:15 PM
Old 06-01-2009
Thanks this has helped me solve my problem

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut a text file at a certain spot?

Say I do a date command and get the time from 15 minutes ago. I have a text file with the date printed out every minute or so and I want to cut the file at the date stamp given to me by the 15 minute ago time stamp. Is there an easy way to do this? Example: date +%M gives me 56 I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut some data from big file

How to cut data from big file my file around 30 gb I tried "head -50022172 filename > newfile.txt ,and tail -5454283 newfile.txt. It's slowy. afer that I tried sed -n '46467831,50022172p' filename > newfile.txt ,also slow Please recommend me , faster command to cut some data from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: almanto
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Helping in parsing subset of text from a big results file

Hi All, I need some help to effectively parse out a subset of results from a big results file. Below is an example of the text file. Each block that I need to parse starts with "reading sequence file 10.codon" (next block starts with another number) and ends with **p-Value(s)**. I have given... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the second line in a text file

Hi I have some problem to cut out the second line in a output file and send to a new file it's a #!/bin/bash script 1 something 2 something 3 something and after I cut 1 something 3 something New file 2 something Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelle
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut text from a file

How can I cut the text of definite length say from line no. 20 to 1000? It is trivial ques, but I am very new to Unix. Thanks :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackR
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very big text file - Too slow!

Hello everyone, suppose there is a very big text file (>800 mb) that each line contains an article from wikipedia. Each article begins with a tag (<..>) containing its url. Currently there are 10^6 articles in the file. I want to take random N articles, eliminate all non-alpharithmetic... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedonMan
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help using Awk and cut with a text file

Looking for some help on using awk and cut I have a text file that has fixed information and want to write a script that will prompt the user for an account to search for and pint the output The sample line that has the key information looks like this: Statement to: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut a big file into small ones?

Hello all, Currently I have a txt file named as a.txt with the content as: f e100 aa bb cc dd ee ff f e222 aa dd ff gg f e987 dd aa f e2222 gg ff gg aa dd ff ee ee While, for some reason I want to cut a.txt into small ones, e.g. f1.txt, f2.txt, f3.txt and f4.txt. The routine is to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: locohd
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text from a file and remove

Hello Friends, I am stuck with the below problem.Any help will be appreciated. I have a file which has say 100 lines. On the second last line I have a line from which i want to remove certain characters.. e.g CAST(CAST( A as varchar(50)) || ',' || CAST(CAST( B as varchar(50)) || ',' ||... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
8 Replies
ppmquantall(1)						      General Commands Manual						    ppmquantall(1)

NAME
ppmquantall - run ppmquant on a bunch of files all at once, so they share a common colormap SYNOPSIS
ppmquantall [-ext extension] ncolors ppmfile ... DESCRIPTION
Takes a bunch of portable pixmap as input. Chooses ncolors colors to best represent all of the images, maps the existing colors to the new ones, and overwrites the input files with the new quantized versions. If you don't want to overwrite your input files, use the -ext option. The output files are then named the same as the input files, plus a period and the extension text you specify. Verbose explanation: Let's say you've got a dozen pixmaps that you want to display on the screen all at the same time. Your screen can only display 256 different colors, but the pixmaps have a total of a thousand or so different colors. For a single pixmap you solve this problem with ppmquant; this script solves it for multiple pixmaps. All it does is concatenate them together into one big pixmap, run ppmquant on that, and then split it up into little pixmaps again. (Note that another way to solve this problem is to pre-select a set of colors and then use ppmquant's -map option to separately quantize each pixmap to that set.) SEE ALSO
ppmquant(1), ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Jef Poskanzer. 27 July 1990 ppmquantall(1)